poker changed. Why and in what ways?

• SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze

so I saw this picture and I really wondered.
      How did poker change and why?
      What affected the game and how did it change?
      Is it the maths, the absolutivity of expectation value? Is it because online poker turned this into some sort of math competition?
      What kinda moves (examples anyone?) are considered oldschool and not up to date anymore?
      I had another thread where somebody told me that older videos (prolly 2005-09) are not good stuff to learn from.
      Do you think this counts for 2010-11, too, and why?
  • 8 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      2021: we are way ahead of his min5bet-range, we should raise for value and get called by worse backdoors

in all seriousness though, indeed a lot of it has to do with all the knowledge that has been put out recently about trying to get closer to "game theory optimal", more and more people down the food chain are starting to grasp the concepts of "good defending frequencies" and such.
      i expect the games to actually get less aggressive (but tougher!) in the future, in favor of a more balanced style
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      less aggressive? Really? Why do you think that?
      I would've thought the game might become more balanced. Aggressive on the one side but on the other hand more observant and patient.
      There's probably going to be more exotic betting patterns and strong aggression imo

can you explain why you think there's going to be less aggressive games? Does it have to do with slowplaying or with being more careful because of more people calling with Backdoors?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      because the trends were already towards hyper-aggression with very wide 3betting 4betting 5betting and lots of barreling, "no one ever has anything" :f_biggrin: but as people learned to defend better, it proved to be better to ditch the excessive aggression in favour of a closer to unexploitable approach.

the "new school" says that, instead of trying to outlevel everyone, you should focus more on your own strategy and getting it closer to unexploitable, and then only make relatively minor adjustments as adaptation to your opponents.
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PerusJamppa
      This! :D
    • Garrett91
      Garrett91
      Bronze
      It has changed vastly because of the online players and their tendencies being displayed un real life, as if they are just clicking a button. It is nothing now to see two or even three young internet players 3,4,5 and 6 bet with total air. It makes them extremely difficult players to play against, but extremely equitable if you can trap these players.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Garrett91,

Welcome to the PokerStrategy forums! Hope you will have a great time here!
      We'd like to know a bit more about you - why don't you Introduce yourself?

It is indeed true that the online poker has made the poker evolve much faster than a traditional live play did for tens of years before that. The huge amount of your played hands that are available for review / data analysis made people look at the game in another way and manage to adapt and improve much better.

Best,
      Kamen
    • MaxLange
      MaxLange
      Bronze
      Players started to use huds and get better at the game, I believe in 2021 games will be a lot tougher.