I Want to PLO !! Have questions

• PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      I realized that I suck balls at NLH cash, while doing pretty decent at MTTs. That's why I want to switch to PLO cash and start from the bottom. My questions are:

1) Someone told me that it's -EV to play microstakes PLO due to variance and rake and that there is a whole thread at 2+2 explaining why ( which I did not find). He told me that one should start at PLO50 or 100 which is too high. Please confirm or reject the above. I want to start at PLO10, would that be possible?

2) Bankroll - 50BI?
      3) Any materials you would suggest I go through before playing?
      4) Are games as tough as the NLH games at the micros/lowstakes?
      5) It's my belief (duno why) that 30-100BI swings are possible (if not standard) is that correct?
      6) Any software/article/post/book that would aid me in learning faster?

Posted this in the begginer questions, cos I am an absolute begginer at PLO so yeah.

thx
  • 18 replies
    • PmagicLchocoOballs
      PmagicLchocoOballs
      Bronze
      Some wise man once said You cant quit omaha, omaha quits you :D
      Pls dont start on PLO50/100 if u have no clue especially coming from NLH,
      PLO10 is beatable get good rb tho
      10BI swings are normal like u go to bathroom every day
      Every thing from skodljivec + all mental things you can find
      -dont cry to much :f_biggrin:

good luck you will need it :D
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Thanks for the help!!! Swings are not a problem - I am dead inside :D
    • PmagicLchocoOballs
      PmagicLchocoOballs
      Bronze
      I taught I was to, until i was taking shots on plo400 with 350d roll :s_biggrin:
    • MrTrocks
      MrTrocks
      Black
      Hi PokkerPPP,

i guess u mean that thread at 2+2: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/28/internet-poker/petition-pokerstars-lower-price-plo-zoom-1465060/

Okay lets start with my thoughts and answer.

First of all PLO is a really funny game :D . I start..dunno exactly...at 2012-2013 to play it. I switch also from NHL to PLO because i got borrowing from playing nhl.

The Rake and the Variance is quit high in PLO. I would not say its unbeatable because the players are very bad. Well the longer u wait the better they get obv. But i still think u could beat it.

BUT! now the mainpoint comes. It´s a fuck lot of work to learn it. U learn the rules fast..no problem.

But instead of NHL u have to learn and understood the game a lot (pre and postflop Game; eq scenarios). Believe me.

I still have my journey with it. I mean, u could do so many mistakes pre (and u will do a lot!) and u don't recognize it. That´s because of variance it could be, that u are winning the first months. Also postflop they are so many scenarios u have to realize and make assumptions for your game.

Also u have to do a lot work in equilations when u are not at the tables. Look at different board textures, look what u have against diff ranges and so on.

What i want to say is:

If u want to play it for fun no problem try it.
      If u want to learn the game and earn some monez, u must be sure that u have the time and the guts to put a lot of work in it. And i mean really a lot of work.

FE. before every session i make HH reviews and discuss them or put them on the HH Forum.

1: If u want to try it, sure try PLO10 don't play PLO50 or 100 when u are a beginner that's stupid.
      2: yeah maybe more tbh mine is wide more than 100
      3: watch vids from skod or some beginner vids. look at the HH evaluation Forum to get a feeling of the questions, the hands and the game
      4: No i don't think so. Their are still many fish in the pool. Even most regs are not good at these stakes
      5. yeah could be
      6. Pokertracker or HM Omaha; Equilab, propokertool also try too find a skype learning group or someone who helps u. Its very important to have someone/group u could ask and discuss

Greez

(sry for my englisch btw :D )
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Thanks MrTrocks, very informative reply!
    • MrTrocks
      MrTrocks
      Black
      ure welcome ;)
    • shanesmith
      shanesmith
      Global
      Microstakes PLO is very beatable, all these people that say it isn't beatable have probably never even played it over a decent sample size, the rake has been reduced for a while know in plo cash games, I have played roughly 200k hands in 0.01/0.02 plo for a 9bb/100 winrate, just play a solid tight game and don't bluff to often and u will win easily at the micros.

Playing tight will also give you a good solid starting block to learn the game, and from there you can change your game and style, you could also get training with one of the pokerstrategy guys whom I think is relatively cheap. (kyyberi)
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      shanesmith, thanks for the info! =)
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Hi,

people that say micro plo isn't beatable are just bad players. You can easily crush the micros even without rakeback and with huge rake. The opponents are bad, but that's why it's plo10 and not plo1000. Still if you are a complete beginner it maybe tough to win at first, but the same thing applies for everything in life.

MrTrocks gave you some very good answers... I would recommend starting as low as possible at least for a few weeks; just to get a feel for the game etc...

Regards,

Skod
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Thanks Skodljivec, I may be concacting you for coaching, once I get things going. Hope I won't need it at the very start though :)
    • MrTrocks
      MrTrocks
      Black
      Originally posted by PokerPPP
      Hope I won't need it at the very start though :)
      if u want to take it serios you need skod or kyyberi sooner or later for sure

(...trust me...skod knows me very well :D )
    • AxelFoldy
      AxelFoldy
      Bronze
      Hi,
      finally found an up-to-date thread about micro plo.
      What do you guys think about Zoom micro plo?
      -beatable ? (started thinking about this after reading the 2+2 thread)
      -if beatable: more/less profitable than regular tables? (in terms of $$/hour, not winrate, in order to build a bankroll)
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Axel has some valid questions upthere. Is there anyone able to answer those? I am too used to zoom and I would rather play that than normal tables cause normal tables are too slow and you can't really fit 12+ tables on a 15.6 laptop display. Also is PLO only worth playing on pokerstars?

@ MrTrocks I will make sure to contact them as soon as possible. I believe my biggest mistake platying NLH cash was not contacting any coach at any point. I just neeed to figure out what types of tables I will play at what stakes and get some hands in before I contact a coach. For now I will buy silver status and watch their PLO beginner vids

Thanks everybody
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the awesome replies guys, keep them coming :)
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      Hi,

zoom is tougher than normal tables, but still easy. If you are looking to improve playing 12 tables should be the last of your concerns. You should play 4-6 tables max and think hard about any decision you make; that will imrpove your winrate and you yourself as a player.

If you play 12 tables it's too easy to go on autopilot (trust me, i know), and you never crush in those sessions. Matter of fact, you loose more often than you win.

Regards,

Skod
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Thanks Skod, I will follow your advise
    • MrTrocks
      MrTrocks
      Black
      Originally posted by AxelFoldy
      Hi,
      finally found an up-to-date thread about micro plo.
      What do you guys think about Zoom micro plo?
      -beatable ? (started thinking about this after reading the 2+2 thread)
      -if beatable: more/less profitable than regular tables? (in terms of $$/hour, not winrate, in order to build a bankroll)
      Hi,

sure Zoom is also beatable but in my mind its a little bit harder than regular tables. When u play regular tables u can table select and found some pritty nice tables with lot of fish. Also Zoom tables are tighter.

Dunno whats more profitable in terms of $$/hours both have some pros and cons
    • MrTrocks
      MrTrocks
      Black
      Originally posted by Skodljivec
      Hi,

zoom is tougher than normal tables, but still easy. If you are looking to improve playing 12 tables should be the last of your concerns. You should play 4-6 tables max and think hard about any decision you make; that will imrpove your winrate and you yourself as a player.

If you play 12 tables it's too easy to go on autopilot (trust me, i know), and you never crush in those sessions. Matter of fact, you loose more often than you win.

Regards,

Skod
      this

but one thing just my 2c. if he is a beginner he should start less than 4 tables