3 bet 3rd street?

• alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Hi, let's start the stud action since this games rocks. Is my play correct in this hand?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0,25/$0,50), Ante $0,05, Bring-In $0,10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: 4:club: 5:club: 6:diamond: ___completes___raises
      Seat 2: xx xx 5:diamond: ___calls___folds
      Seat 3: xx xx Q:heart: ___folds
      Seat 4: xx xx Q:spade: ___calls___folds
      Seat 5: xx xx A:heart: ___calls___folds
      Seat 6: xx xx 7:spade: ___folds
      Seat 7: xx xx 3:diamond: ___brings-in___raises___calls
      Seat 8: xx xx 9:diamond: ___calls___folds

// I 3bet, i don't know if my hand is strong enough but i don't want that many people on the pot, since some diamonds are dead so the diamond draw will be dificult to complete for him if he has 3 low cards with 2 diamonds or something like that. altough one 3 and 7 dead....

4th Street - (11.00 SB)

Hero: 4:club: 5:club: 6:diamond: 4:diamond: ___bets
      Seat 7: xx xx 3:diamond: 6:spade: ___calls

// great i have a pair and another diamond dead , anyway just 4 , i bet with a pair anyway

5th Street - (6.50 BB)

Hero: 4:club: 5:club: 6:diamond: 4:diamond: Q:diamond: ___bets
      Seat 7: xx xx 3:diamond: 6:spade: J:spade: ___calls

// bet? that J shouldn't have helped him, right?

6th Street - (8.50 BB)

Hero: 4:club: 5:club: 6:diamond: 4:diamond: Q:diamond: 4:heart: ___bets
      Seat 7: xx xx 3:diamond: 6:spade: J:spade: T:spade: ___calls

// from here, i think the hand gets easy

River - (10.50 BB)

Hero: 4:club: 5:club: 6:diamond: 4:diamond: Q:diamond: 4:heart: 5:spade: ___bets
      Seat 7: xx xx 3:diamond: 6:spade: J:spade: T:spade: xx___calls

Total pot: (12.50 BB - $6,25)
  • 2 replies
    • nanowarrior
      nanowarrior
      Bronze
      i wouldn't even complete with 456o in that spot.

it's a good hand, but: you're in early position, and anybody behind you could wake up with rolled up 2s or a straight-flush-low drow, reraising (and in fact it's what happened). if this does happen, you'll end up in headsup situation with a drawing hand, which clearly isn't great.

i think those medium-strong drawing hand (i mean hands that are drawing to 2 kind of hands, e.g. straight flushdraws or lo-flushdraws) should be played passively, trying to hit fourth street.
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      I usually complete with drawing hands such as those. You don't want to scare all the money off, but you don't want to play in a small pot either. If the hand gets completed to me, I'll call, and perhaps attract calls from weaker hands. The hand really is made on the fourth and fifth, so unless it gets jammed on those streets/my cards fall completely dead, I usually see my options all the way to the fifth.

Here you needed a seven or a trey, but your eights and deuces were completely live. So definitely a drawing hand worth playing, especially since only one other of low cards you could need have been gone (the ace of diamonds).

I don't see anything too strange about this hand, but I'm not a stud 8/b expert. It's very likely you are leading with your pair on the fifth, and the opponent can't raise you because you have three diamonds showing (at least, not very lightly).