This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

odds w allins

• BIKEBOY79
      BIKEBOY79
      Bronze
      Started playing $0.25 45-man SNGs at Pokerstars 2 weeks ago. Built bankroll from free $10 to $20, so though small sample size, I am doing well. I am a tight player, too tight I'm sure.

What I'm trying to figure out is that even though I'm winning $, I'm only ITM 1 out of 3 or 4 SNGs. The other times I lose out to a preflop allin, almost always with < 15 BB and 5/6 times to worse hold cards. Is this just the way it goes - you lose more than win, but when you win it makes up for the losses? Can't figure how I almost always have better hole cards, but don't win as much as the odds would suggest.
  • 2 replies
    • andiofwbafc
      andiofwbafc
      Bronze
      One word for you. Variance.

If you keep getting it in good then over time you will show a profit. :)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi BIKEBOY79,

andiofwbafc is right. SNGs are a relatively variance-heavy format, especially the ones with bigger fields. You are forced to put your tournament life on the line quite a few times in these games, so it's inevitable that you will end up in situations where a worse starting hand will end up winning.

You may be interested to know that in a SNG, it is not always enough to be a slight favorite to win the hand, due to a concept known as the risk premium.

But don't worry, suckouts just happen, and if you keep putting your chips in as a favorite in the right situations you can be sure to eventually make a profit in the long run.
      In MTSNGs, it's more important to finish deep than to barely make it ITM as often as possible anyway.