bankroll sharing/staking/shot-taking

• zagarese
      zagarese
      Bronze
      I would like some opinions on the following as a means of bankroll sharing/staking/shot-taking.

It grows out of my frustration with being stuck at the micros because, essentially, I'm a bankroll nit and I don't have time to play full-time.

8 players who can't afford to play the sunday million alone each put up $30.

They play a heads up bracket event.

4 bust in 'fourth', 2 in 'third', 1 is second and 1 wins it all.

1st place player goes on to play the sunday million with the $240. He keeps the extra $25.

He also keeps 50% of whatever he cashes for.

The second place player gets 25% of whatever the winner cashes for.

The two thirds get 12.5% each.

The four fourths get 6.25% each.

My thought here is that it allows the players to play higher, it shares bankroll, it develops skill (you're playing) and there's no argument in a group about who should take the shot with the group money.

It could be done for any tournament. I'd like to play the $50 progressive knockout on party every sunday morning but I don't like to risk that much on one tournament a week. A group (2 or more) could do this to target that. Or the sunday million. Or the Tuesday $1000 one. For live events or even for a group bankroll into a specific cash game.

Any one else have an opinion?

It could be done as a single table sit-n-go as well with essentially the same stakes to the same finishes but that creates a lot of weird bubbles so I don't really like it. Even linear percentages in that sort of event create weird bubble effects.
  • 4 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Intriguing idea.
      If 8 players put up 30, is the winner's prize the entire pool?
      What is the rake?

Are there 8 players you can trust to do this with?

What if the worst among you luckboxes the entry tournament?

I would not mind entering such a scheme, but the other players definitely don't want me playing the Sunday million with their money...

Cheers,
      --VS
    • zagarese
      zagarese
      Bronze
      I think it's a process which can be adapted to a lot of situations.

If it's a group of local, live players they can do the hu portion with no rake, for example.

A group of worldwide online players could look for a non-raked way of doing the hu portion through play-money or free-play sites. I'm not familiar enough with any of those to recommend a specific one. Pokerstars home games, maybe?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the winner's prize the entire pool' - for the Sunday Million it really should be eight players putting up $215/8 or slightly more if there's rake involved in the hu. The winners prize in the hu should be twofold - the right to play the target event on behalf of the group and 50% of the winnings from the target event.

As to eight players I can trust... I expect it's something that requires building trust over time. Start small, see how it goes, etc.

This could be done in almost any configuration. Two players could do it if they each only let themselves play up to $100 tournaments and wanted to play the million, for example. Three players could do a round robin hu instead of brackets. Etc. It could be a one-time event among friends or a dedicated group of players that respect each other but have no other relationship.

Mostly this is intended as a means of bankroll sharing and shot-taking with clear solutions (i.e. you win or you lose) about who gets what for their dollar. If the worst player luckboxes, so be it.. this happens in poker. Maybe he'll luckbox his way to a huge score to share back with the others.
    • ironhide588
      ironhide588
      Bronze
      who offer stakes?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ironhide588
      who offer stakes?
      Hi, ironhide588
      All staking offers and requests are made in the Staking Offers and Requests.

Please have a look at the staking rules.

In there you will notice that to be staked, you need a minimum of 300 posts in the English Community.

So start participating in the forums -- I suggest a blog -- and be active in the hand discussion forums. Potential stakers will be looking at your posts to evaluate your game.

Best regards,
      --VS