making money on one table SnG? Avg finish and RIO

• janpoker1
      janpoker1
      Bronze
      Now i have played 106 tournaments on Fulltilt struggling to make profit and moving up the limits. Overall i go in plus and move up, but it is much harder then i first thought because of the amount of rake i have to pay. Today for example, i played 3 1$ tournaments, losing one and coming in on second place in two of the tournaments. That makes:

Amount Won: $5.40
      Net Won: $1.65

For me, coming in second in 2/3 tournaments is very good. But still, Return of investments is very very low..

So i guess my question is, do people really make money playing one table SnG? The only way you can make money from my point of view is if you play 4 - 8 tables at ones with much higher stakes and a Avg Finish on 3 place or something. Is that right? can somebody explain this to me.

If you have poker tracker, please post your Avg Finish and you ROI so i can set my goals. Currently i have: Avg Finish: 4.02 RIO: 8.53 and are just barely moving up.
  • 15 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yes you can make money, but you goto be good.

1$ SnG are a waste of time imo. Like you said the rake is too high.
      2$ ones are ok. 3.5$ are probably the best for the micro limits (but my BR won't support them).

I normally play 2$ ones and well if you become twice second and loose ones there you gain a bit over 4$ in net profit.

Still not that great but decent.

I normally just use SnG to train for MTT because of the similarities.
      However at higher stakes SnG can be pretty profitable.
    • MrGudolfs
      MrGudolfs
      Bronze
      yeah... 1$ SnG ir waste of time imo.

3x1$ takes up to 3 hours- maximum winnings are 12$ - racke(0.6$ ?)..
      But if you play 4-tabling NL2 SH/FR, your winnings can be same, but racke will be much higher.

GL;)
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Huh?

K maybe your playing SnG wrong.

Firstly.. don't play SnG which are not turbo unless your playing for higher stakes and don't have 30+ buyins or so

Secondly multi table them.

3x 1$ SnG should take you 30-45 min max.

And rake for 1$ SnG is 25 cents or in other words 25%. Probably the worst rake there is and hence should never be played, unless your doing it for fun or for practice or if your BR is like 10$
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I've grinded my way from $2.25 6max sng stt up to the $12 6max sng's.... And now got the bankroll for $26 sng's... So yeah sng's are profitable... expecially the $1.25 since the play is so bad... I still think it's easy to maintain healthy 25% roi on $1.25 sng's although the 25% rake obv hurts your income... But I feel like It should be easy to atleast grind them untill you got the bankroll for $2.25 :P
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hey just wanted to tell them to read your blog haha..

Anyways.. 85$ bankroll enough for 2$ SnG?
    • janpoker1
      janpoker1
      Bronze
      So i should invest some money so i have a bankroll for 3$ SnG's? Is that what you guys are saying? And where do i find a overview of rake on different limits and sites?
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      2$ SnG are fine to start with.
      3$ would be too risky I think if your new since you might loose too much.

Uhm I am not sure which site gives the best rake. FT has 25 cents for 2$ ones which is alright.
      Stars might be better, will probably go play there soon (also because they got lower limit games and I can clear another bonus)

I suggest searching on the sites itself or other poker forums to find this out.
    • exorcism
      exorcism
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

72$ is enough to start playing 2$SnG's

I would suggest to stick to 2$ ones for now, until you get your strategy down right. You might risk loosing more on 3$ ones.

I know Stars has no 2$ sng's, rake for 1$ ones is .2

here is the strategy for BRM for SNG players:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/618/2/#h1_1
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar

yeah it's enough... around 38 buy ins if my calculation is right.... On the micro and low limits I would move up if you have 50 bi for the next limit... and move down if you have less then 30...

so yeah I think you would be safe using 38bi... I would move down if you go below 25bi tho

I've now started using 75bi brm and I move down if I have less then 30bi for that limit... I like being on the safe site of things..
    • janpoker1
      janpoker1
      Bronze
      Ok, I'll give 2$ tournaments a try. Thanks for the help.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hey

Alright best SnGs are I think on the Ipoker network from the ones I played.

1$+.2
      first price 5$

This is good if you don't have the BR for 2$ ones. They are 10 players instead of 9 players like on FT.

The downside however is lower player traffic. At times you can wait a damn long time for a SnG to start. Hope you live in the right time zone haha.
      Also with 10 players.. 1 more player has to be eliminated to win.
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      I've played 5 $1 SnG's on Party, finished 9th once, twice 4th, once 3rd and one I won.

Investment: 5 * $1 = $5
      Winnings: $1.60 + $4 = $5.60

Profit: $0.60!

So yes, you can make money with only playing one SnG at a time. :D
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      SNGs are hard lol. I play them lately again more and i have to do sth. wrong obvious :D I mean Even if you push/call correct most of time you flip or go on 60vs40 and lose damn to much to make it profitable. I just miss sth. and will watch more movies to find my leaks ;)

But yes SNGs are profitable. Check on sharkscope how much best players are getting out :D Nice cash no doubt :D
    • janpoker1
      janpoker1
      Bronze
      been playing 2$ SnG now. What a difference! Look at my progress the last 2 days.
      on 1$ i just barely broke even, on 2$ i made huge progress. :D
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      looks nice you should start a blog :P

So yes, you can make money with only playing one SnG at a time.

You'll win more playing one sng at a time since you'll have better reads and more concentration... I like to play 4 tables at a time tho :P