Helping everybody out

• flandeeze
      flandeeze
      Basic
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:

Hey for those who opened up this thread, just a quick coupe of questions for those classify them as advanced players

I am not going to bore you with my life story but some additional information will be great, I know the basics of poker but im finding it hard to step it up, I am reading books but still having trouble on the tables and losing a lot
      so my questions to you are as followed

1. What is the most important aspect of the game learning wise? pot odds, equity, ect:

2. Does dressing in formal wear really pull off? lol

3. I Really want to take up poker as a career, im dedicated and im willing to put in the work required no matter what, plus overtime

4. playing MTTs or cash games for advantage?

thank you pokerbuddies

:club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, flandeeze,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

The following is my opinion. Others will have their own, and you must find your own answers too.

1  The most important aspect of the game is bankroll management, followed by Positional awareness, hand selection and aggression in that order. Note that all of those are mostly mental attitudes, rather than absolute knowledge.

2  How you dress has an effect on how you feel. It also has an effect on how others perceive you. This will not matter in the slightest playing online. Play naked. :coolface:

3  Not really a question. Most importantly, will you *enjoy* poker 10 years from now?

4  Cash games. That is the learning ground. All the fundamentals are learned in cash games. The SnGs and MTTs add layers that need to be learned. Those additional aspects are useless without a solid foundation of basic poker skill. Once you have that, the MTTs have the huge payoffs, but you'll never get there in one step.

Best of luck!
      --VS
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      2  How you dress has an effect on how you feel. It also has an effect on how others perceive you. This will not matter in the slightest playing online. Play naked. :coolface:
      It matters even when playing online, as an 'anchor' that puts the player in the zone. It's no wonder that poker players tend to have a favourite 'winning' T-shirt - this way, they can carry over the feeling of control over the game from their most memorable session - when they were crushing - to every new one.

I was once told to adopt formal wear for online poker, as an allusion to my scientific past when I was a bigger 'winner' than now. I didn't follow the advice and am now in the same or maybe worse state than a few months ago when this advice came in.
    • RazorPage
      RazorPage
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, flandeeze,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

The following is my opinion. Others will have their own, and you must find your own answers too.

1  The most important aspect of the game is bankroll management, followed by Positional awareness, hand selection and aggression in that order. Note that all of those are mostly mental attitudes, rather than absolute knowledge.

3  Not really a question. Most importantly, will you *enjoy* poker 10 years from now?

4  Cash games. That is the learning ground. All the fundamentals are learned in cash games. The SnGs and MTTs add layers that need to be learned. Those additional aspects are useless without a solid foundation of basic poker skill. Once you have that, the MTTs have the huge payoffs, but you'll never get there in one step.

Best of luck!
      --VS
      Hi flandeeze

VorpalF2F nailed it. IMO I would look at pot odds as well as this will stop you from being the calling station everyone wants at their table. I would start at 2nl FR cash and work your way up from there.

Good luck at the tables.