SSS and MSS are dead (at pokerstars)?

• 666zeus666
      666zeus666
      Bronze
      Hi!

I'm just beginning to learn the game and trying to decide what type of poker to play. I've found that the Middle Stack Strategy can be quite good to start learning the basics but I think that most poker sites try to make MSS difficult to play, as a regular strategy, implementing what they call "Buy-in Obligations". ie: http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/features/buy-in-obligations/
      I want to play at pokerstars.es (Spain). Does anybody know if this is right? Can you play at pokerstars.es using the MSS?

Thanks for your help!
  • 6 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Probably not.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Yeah, you can't do that anymore on PS.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Yeah, you can't do that anymore on PS.
      Oh no - People will have to actually LEARN how to play now! :]
    • shanesmith
      shanesmith
      Global
      People will have to learn how to play?

The op stated he is new to the game, so at least he is using a intelligent approach to learning the game, why would a new player want to play 100bb deep when they are learning?

Still makes me laugh when players diss short stack or middle stack buy-in players in general , there is other sites you could learn to play on zeus with a non standard buy-in, I think 888 has shallow stack tables.

Good luck on your learning curve.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by shanesmith

The op stated he is new to the game, so at least he is using a intelligent approach to learning the game, why would a new player want to play 100bb deep when they are learning?

Still makes me laugh when players diss short stack or middle stack buy-in players in general , there is other sites you could learn to play on zeus with a non standard buy-in, I think 888 has shallow stack tables.

Hi, shanesmith...
      The problem facing SSS and MSS players is that the strategies are not designed for "shallow stack tables".

In fact, one of the principles of SSS is that as soon as you double up, you LEAVE THE TABLE.
      Another principle is that you play with no more than one other short stack at the table.

Shallow stack tables don't work well if those conditions are in play.

If you are playing vs a whole table full of shallow stacks, most of the subtleties of 100 BB stack post flop play is gone.

If you start w/ 40 BB, raising a CBet leaves you pot-committed, so your raise must be a shove. If *everyone* has a short stack, it becomes either a shove-fest or a fold-fest.

When I started, I briefly did SSS, then switched to 100BB play when the original Beginner's course came along. Best move I ever made.

Peace,
      --VS

Cheers,
      --VS
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shanesmith

I played many hands of the SSS when I started on this site - I am not just spouting rubbish... If anything learning this strategy IN MY OPINION harmed my progress more than helped.

Because once SSS was basically outlawed by most poker rooms I was forced to learn the BSS, which then meant I had to unlearn everything from the SSS. By playing SSS you are not learning the game AT ALL, you are merely playing the mathematical edge... It was the whole principle of the strategy.