SNE launches a petition against Spin & Go format

• Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      [Edited by VorpalF2F]

Looks like the spin & goes might be a quite a controversial move by PokerStars - the analysis of the format by a long-time successful sit & go professional leads him into launching a petition against the format, seems like plenty of players are following his lead.

I get the point there and I agree - no one doubts that Spin & Gos are in the long run as or maybe even more profitable than any other format - the problem lies within the fact that in Spin & Gos you could easily be unbelievably more off the expected winrate than in any other previous poker format, can't imagine playing those for a living.
  • 9 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Scarmaker,

As you can see, I've edited your post, as it links to another training site which contravenes some of our forum principles.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Scarmaker
      Scarmaker
      Bronze
      Because that makes sense ^^

And people still ask me why I don't usually post on Pokerstrategy
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      Vorpal or any other moderator, I have a question, so in your eyes what is a difference between reference to an original article and advert, we are not living in a cave called pokerstrategy and we all know about other training sites, so what is the thought behind it? You better suggest we steal (copy/paste) other authors work here without reference to the original, or we dont start discussion about things that haven't came from this site, because everything we need to know gets covered in the daily comics section.

And even news guys put in references to other material that hasn't been written by them, it's not that hard to draw a line between reference and advert in my eyes, it would be cool if we all could right our original ideas and we wont need post references but sadly poker market isnt that huge and sometimes other guys will have a good idea worth discussing that should not be ignored because it can effect all of us.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Rufus433,
      We try to follow our forum principles.

We make mistakes, and if you think a mod has made one, I suggest creating a customer support ticket (go to bottom of that page) and give them all the details you can.

In this case there was link to a site that competes directly with PokerStrategy.com, so we edit out the link (see rule 3 in the forum principles). Note that the post itself was left -- the topic is interesting. Interested members can google it. Had the OP mentioned the professionals name that started the petition it would have made such a search a snap.

We *do* have some reciprocal agreements with other poker sites.
      Those links will remain. Just because a link to a site exists, though, doesn't mean its really allowed. Another mistake mods make is failing to remove them.

You will probably not be surprised to find that other poker sites have similar rules.

If a link to another site appears not in a forum post, but in a news article then it is generally there by agreement with the site referred to.

I've asked the ninjas to comment on this -- hopefully they'll have some clarification.

All the best,
      --VS
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      Thanks,

As i see it, you just followed forum rules so no need to send a ticket, i am (and prob other ps members) a bit frustrated with some of these principles so sometimes mods get some of it when even its not their fault.

Is there a way or procedure how to try to change certain parts of these principles or all that is set in stone and can't be changed?

Like you said it yourself everyone can find article same as any other poker training site just use google, it is recognizable when it is advertisement and when it is just a reference to open up a discussion as in this instance as you left the rest of it unedited, so why such a censorship if all this info is available to anyone by google or as you put it just tell others how to find it, i believe everyone wants to express freely and share their ideas and findings to everyone so we all can learn and discuss the things we didn't know, even if its on other poker training site, because good ideas needs to be shared.
    • Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      It is funny that some reg that plays a particular game is trying to protect his own habitat (the type of the game he plays) and launches a petition... If it will hurt the PS in the long run, they will stop it themselves, and in the short run it is too early to decide, whether it is hurting the ecosystem or not.
      It is interesting though that such cases even appear. I wonder if it matters that he is a SNE - the same could be argued by a silverstar, and it would be interesting to compare, whether the PS would give more respect for the action of a SNE.
    • Rufus433
      Rufus433
      Platinum
      Johnis, he prob cares about "his" games, but in reality every other game suffers because it takes away some rec players from their games so games get tougher, it will be till that point when spin&goes will attract new members to the site and than these guys will go to other games spend their money that would not be available without spin&goes, but it is too early to tell.
      I think it should matter to ps that he is SNE as he generates way more rake than average player so it would be wise to listen to what they have to say, you dont want to ignore your biggest clients.
    • Hamishk
      Hamishk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, Scarmaker,

As you can see, I've edited your post, as it links to another training site which contravenes some of our forum principles.

Thanks for understanding.

Cheers,
      --VS
      As a result I've googled for the petition and found about 5 other poker training sites.... Quite a few I didn't know about.... Seems counter-productive policy at times.
    • Johnis
      Johnis
      Bronze
      Rufus, in my opinion, it is extremely selfish to say that the traffic of all games suffer. If your games are not profitable for you, choose another game or play the game that the fish play! I'm a cash game player myself, and I know pretty good that table selection is important. Just select the good tables then, or the good games. If you think that the fish only play spin&go - that's what you should be playing as well...
      By the way, it is not like the players disappear from the pokersite due to spin&go. They just play a different game, and perhaps more new players start to play it... Imagine that one day nearly no fish play NL Holdem due to some reasons. Are you gonna start a petition that Omaha has way too high variance, and the stud games are just attracting all the fish??