Cagey Players

• hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Hi, Ever feel your being pushed off a table because your the new guy?, I've only been playing for 2 days in the $0.05/$0.10 tables and they don't make a move most times the bb wins because everyone folds or the one that calls the bb wins so nobody makes any money?
      Once I raised the bb pre flop and everyone folded can someone explain please.
  • 5 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      Hi, Ever feel your being pushed off a table because your the new guy?, I've only been playing for 2 days in the $0.05/$0.10 tables and they don't make a move most times the bb wins because everyone folds or the one that calls the bb wins so nobody makes any money?
      Once I raised the bb pre flop and everyone folded can someone explain please.
      You are feeling vulnerable due to moving up stakes, therefore probably playing a bit tighter than normal, and the other players don't know you are new, they may just know you are tight.

Stop concentrating the amount of money at the table and start focusing on how bb you have in your stack. Try not to change your game to much when moving limits.
      I used to use this strategy:

Start session at one stake lower than I am rolled for - If after x hands or x hours I was up I would play my limit I am rolled for and if not I'd continue at the one I am sat at. Winning even at the lower limit can boost your confidence, and therefore put you in a more positive mindset for taking shots. I found this was a better approach than just taking shots because my bankroll allowed.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Also, if a table is too tight you shouldn't still be sat there anyway - Table selection (if not playing zoom) is the key to beating any limit quicker. And in my opinion far more important than even reviewing your sessions.
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice MrMardyBum, just one other thing I don't understand is twice I've had a pair of aces dealt and ended up with 2 pair after the river card but was beaten by a straight, should I have folded when there wasn't a third ace on the turn? I guess this means you can tell I'm new!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, hardlife66,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

There is not enough information really to answer you question.
      AA only wins 85 % of the time vs a random hand.
      So you got a couple of the losses out of the way early.

If ever you're unsure about how a hand played out, post it in the hand discussion or hand evaluation forum appropriate to the hand.

If you find yourself at a nitty table, you will soon learn to adjust by opening up a wee bit.
      For now, though, I would stick to the starting hands charts until they're second nature to you.

Also be sure to follow the post flop recommendations at this point.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Thanks for that, it's starting to become a bit clearer now