Small pockets in the Blinds

• 4 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, danwan,
      Welcome to the PokerStrategy.com forums!

Well, yes, it depends.

Are they both loose?
        What is your table image?
        What is your plan post flop?

I've been folding 22-55 vs UTG raises lately.
      Unless I hit a set -- too many times I add my chips to the pot only to fold to the inevitable CBet.

With MP in there, you get better pot odds, but I think I'm still tossing the wee ones.

In case you can't tell, I really tightened up lately :coolface:

--VS
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey danwan,

To add to what Vorpal said, it indeed depends on a lot of things.

However, generally, the tighter your opponent is, the more profitable it is to set mine even with small pocket pairs. This might seem counter-intuitive, but when villain is on a stronger range, it is more likely you'll get paid off when you hit your set, i.e. your implied odds increase.

So that's something worth taking into account as well.

Regards,
      Tino
    • Megacorpse
      Megacorpse
      Bronze
      tight aggressive opponents are good. Look for tags/nits with high postflop aggression, big cbet% etc. If an opponrnt is passive Af<1.5 low cbet its not worth it.

Just my 2 cents, Im a fish myself :f_cool: have fun and good luck
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Megacorpse
      tight aggressive opponents are good. Look for tags/nits with high postflop aggression, big cbet% etc. If an opponrnt is passive Af<1.5 low cbet its not worth it.

:f_thumbsup:

Instead of calling try 3-bet/squeezing instead with your PP's under 5's maybe under 7's depending on your comfort levels. I generally find this pays off more than set mining, especially if your opponent calls 3-bets a lot pre flop and is passive post flop like Megacorpse mentions above. You can rep any high board you like expecting your opponent to fold all but the top of his range by the turn... Floating c-bets is so super standard now, that is why I said turn... You do however HAVE TO BE ABLE to fold should your opponent play back at you. As an added bonus when you do hit your set it's almost always unreadable except to the (assuming micro/low stakes here) top 5% of players (Random guess, probably to high if anything). Giving you the chance to barrel 3-streets (on not-so-scary-boards)...

Or you can fold... But lets face it - That's bloody boring!!!

My opinion is - If UTG folds to our raise and MP calls - We are ahead...