Poker training schedule

• Chousen
      Chousen
      Bronze
      Hey there, im kinda new at poker, u could call me green at most of poker stuff. As my subject states i would like to get suggestions on poker learning/playing schedule.
      For example:let say i got ~10h free time/day, how should i split the time to learn and play. 5h learning/5h playing /day or 10h learn/day then second day 10h play/day.

Feel free to post your own(if u got one) schedule on how u manage learning, playing stuff.
  • 18 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      10 hours day (I wish)

7 Hours playing
      1 hour reviewing biggest losing/winning hands
      2 hours study

Weekly would equal

49 hours playing time

7 hours database review

14 hours study.

I would study 1 hour before, implement what I learnt then 1 hour at the end re-watching/reading my material and cross-reference with your database tracker and make sure you have iomplemented this correctly. I would HIGHLY recommend Weasel 6-max series for a study timetable like this if you are playing NL 6-max.

Here's a link to 1st in series:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/33920/
    • 4s4s4s
      4s4s4s
      Bronze
      Mr.Mardy, good advice. Nice support.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com, Chousen!

And thanks for the awesome reply, MrMardyBum :)
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      I don't recommend reviewing biggest hands, because it doesn't make sense to look at how you played your set or AA preflop... Review those hands that you didn't understand, that will make you improve a lot more.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      I don't recommend reviewing biggest hands, because it doesn't make sense to look at how you played your set or AA preflop... Review those hands that you didn't understand, that will make you improve a lot more.
      Okay ask any coach on here if they do this...

I'm talking anything over 30bb here... So those C-bet flops where you check or barrel turn but give up on the river for example... Basically anything over a standard open and call should be looked at but the biggest losing hands IS where you should start so you can find out if you made a mistake or if was indeed just luck/variance.

Were you OOP or IP when the pot happened?
      Did this factor into your decisions?

YOU MOST DEFINITELY SHOULD LOOK AT BIGGEST WINNING AND LOSING HANDS.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      In addition... Once you have a decent sample - Probably 25k min (for anything near actuate - 50 100k would be better) then you can start adding filters and see how you are playing in certain spots like 3-bet OOP, 4-bet pots, triple barrel spots (bluff or with hand).

After 10k I would also highly recommend starting to take note of your blind plays and start looking at steals and resteal ranges. Plus make sure you are playing an acceptable range from each position at the table.
    • Chousen
      Chousen
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for feedback. I will certainly adjust my playing/learning schedule to MrMardyBum suggestion.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Chousen
      Thank you guys for feedback. I will certainly adjust my playing/learning schedule to MrMardyBum suggestion.
      I'm not 100% saying that my way is correct, others may have better opinions... Just the big pots matter first then the smaller ones... No point fixing little leaks if you have massive ones.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      There is a huge hole in your logic. In poker SMALL pots make more money than BIG pots. Because big pots are the standard situations where cards play themselves. Small pots on other hand require skill.

Seriously if you review your biggest pots only everyday instead of looking into spots you don't understand or had trouble making a decision you are behind the learning curve my 297 miles...

And I am pretty sure that any professional player can back me up on this.
    • 4s4s4s
      4s4s4s
      Bronze
      Rihard, I think Mardy is correct because you have to check biggest lost and won pots, of course you have to find leaks in smaller more than in big ones, but you have to check it, maybe you could win more or it wasnt good play by you.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      There is a huge hole in your logic. In poker SMALL pots make more money than BIG pots. Because big pots are the standard situations where cards play themselves. Small pots on other hand require skill.

Seriously if you review your biggest pots only everyday instead of looking into spots you don't understand or had trouble making a decision you are behind the learning curve my 297 miles...

And I am pretty sure that any professional player can back me up on this.

Okay... As you really feel compelled to make me explain this 5,000 ways... I'll try this...

You are correct... But at the same time - Wrong.

Why would you want to win 40c 5 times when you are losing say (NL10 for example) and losing $10 on multiple hands because... You are over playing certain hands costing you a whole stack... Once you can genuinely say you were unlucky and you are not barrelling the turn with no plan of action for the river. Or you have simply paid off better hands with your JJ+ AJs+ because you refused to believe that someone was a holding 6,8 to make a gutshot straight on the turn which even though he played his hand exactly as would expect someone with that hand too - you continued - Have you genuinely called thinking you were ahead or have you just talked yourself out of folding because you fail to acknowledge he has that hand - Even though you really know his has it.

This are just two examples- there are more.

So why work on your 5 - 20bb pots when you have to just stop playing certain hands in certain cases for me - When weasel looked at my game he spotted an easy leak.. JQo major deficit in EP... He said "well that's simple... Just stop playing that hand from EP.." I did - guess what - I now show profit over last 60k in EP... Because that of that one simple instruction that I just failed to acknowledge and it was costing me an absolute ton.

So these are are a few examples of why you are wrong when you say looking at big hands is bad - As you become better at analysing your game these type of HH's you can scan through - make sure standard lines are taken (Do you know standard lines? as another example of big pot losses) and quickly dismiss.. Then work down the list and once you get there start examining the 7-8bb losses if you should think you may be taking losses opening too wide etc... But even then that leak would be exposed by reviewing a few big losses wins where you just shouldn't of opened that hand or 4-bet that nit based on his range vs. SB 4-bets... Or maybe you shouldn't of folded AQs there because he does this more than average... (Do you know the average?)...

SO CLIFF NOTES...

Start with the bigger pots... Once you feel you have accomplished a better understanding of these spend less time on them and start making your way further down the list of lost bb's and eventually you'll understand you game and your limits and you may not even need an hour cos you can look at a hand and go I did that wrong, and overplayed my QQ here. Or I couldn't predict that he still had 33 On a AK87 board and that the 3 on the river was nuts to my AK which I had played correctly and strong. My opponent should of folded.

The only real exception to this I can really see if you are losing money from BTN - Then you have a problem you need to react too. Or I guess the blinds if you are double the average losses over 20 - 50k hands (This would still be too small really, but you may recognise trends and it may be obvious, i.e QJ- UTG mentioned earlier)

I hope you now can see what I mean - If not I am afraid I have to step down as I know of no other way to explain this situation further.

You are correct but you have to always make sure your decisions in big pots are correct it's much more important until you can recognise 85%+ (Probably more really) of the mistakes you have made in big pots. What good is winning that 30bb pot going to do you when you could of saved 100bb but just not opening that hand... You now have to win with that hand (from that position - The one you shouldn't of opened) 4 times to get back that one stack... and some petty change after rake...?
    • alexunder91
      alexunder91
      Basic
      avem si training live?
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alexunder91
      avem si training live?
      Don't speak your language... But also can't help with a live play schedule sorry..
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by alexunder91
      avem si training live?
      Hi, alexunder91,
      Google translate could not detect your language -- can you please try your question again in English?

If you wish, you could try one of the other language communities.
      Click the down-arrow beside the number in the orange circle at the top right of this page.
      Then look through the list of languages to see if one suits you better.

All the best,
      VS
    • simson500
      simson500
      Basic
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      10 hours day (I wish)

7 Hours playing
      1 hour reviewing biggest losing/winning hands
      2 hours study

Weekly would equal

49 hours playing time

7 hours database review

14 hours study.

I would study 1 hour before, implement what I learnt then 1 hour at the end re-watching/reading my material and cross-reference with your database tracker and make sure you have iomplemented this correctly. I would HIGHLY recommend Weasel 6-max series for a study timetable like this if you are playing NL 6-max.

Here's a link to 1st in series:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/33920/
      If you manage to stick to this over some months I think you can be proud of yourself.
    • Bullettooth12
      Bullettooth12
      Bronze
      Yeah I would definitely go with mrmardybum's advice. You wouldn't start looking at the little leaks you have until you sort out the massive ones. Learn the basic stuff first.
      Good luck on and off the felts!
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Originally posted by Bullettooth12
      Yeah I would definitely go with mrmardybum's advice. You wouldn't start looking at the little leaks you have until you sort out the massive ones. Learn the basic stuff first.
      Good luck on and off the felts!
      Small pots doesn't mean small leaks or vice versa. The biggest leaks are usually in the smaller pots, but people avoid them because they think that they cost less money for them. BUT if you think logically what occurs more frequent? The small pots or the big pots?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator

Small pots doesn't mean small leaks or vice versa. The biggest leaks are usually in the smaller pots, but people avoid them because they think that they cost less money for them. BUT if you think logically what occurs more frequent? The small pots or the big pots?
      Hi, Rihard4a,
      You're spot on.

If you have a leak that costs you only a single BB when you make that particular mistake, and if you make that mistake only once in a hundred hands, you've knocked 1BB/100 off your winrate.

"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Cheers,
      VS