Nov'14 forum revamp discussion

• tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      As a forum revamp to be made in November has been announced, and it looks like a major one, I thought that it would be nice to have a central feedback thread for it, so here you are.

One feature I'd like to request for now is the option to toggle between displaying all members' avatars in their posts in the new format (custom images) and in the old fashion (Pokerstrategy statuses shown instead of custom images in all posts) and/or to block a custom avatar of a certain user (replace it by the status one) similarly to poker sites.
  • 74 replies
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thanks for opening the thread, tonypmm and thank you for your suggestion too! :)

The new forum will no longer include the automatically assigned status icon/image and the avatar topic is ongoing - including the moderation aspect. We're hoping to have more information on this soon.

Cheers,
      Marta
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      We are hopefully launching the new forum soon!

Wanted to give you a sneak peek at what you can expect!

Have a look and tell me what you think!

Note that some features (like removing the avatar) will be exclusive to staff members.

:f_grin:
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Hi Marta, that does look nice :f_love: (What I don't see there is the 'report post' button, but I don't use it often anyway.) The priority, however, is that it all should be working well.

The biggest improvement I'm awaiting from the upgrade is the ability to search within a single thread that exists on 2+2. Some threads are too long to read through but are more focused on their topic than the forum in general, and single-thread search would give more relevant results faster imo.

A slight bug that I've discovered is that, if I write a comment (on a video) containing the '<' sign, only the part of the message preceding that sign gets posted, the sign and what follows it gets erased and lost :f_frown: Hopefully it's easy to fix, seems to be a PHP or SQL shortcoming, all you need to do is to replace '<' by '\<' in all instances (using str_replace() in PHP) in the submitted message before processing it further.

• Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi tonypmm,

glad that you like it! The report post button is there (upper right corner in each post)

As for the search within a single thread option - for now it won't be available (unfortunately), however it might be added later on.

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      About [enter generic expletive here] time!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Looks nice.

The Gold Status Image looks a bit "That'll do". Pretty bland.

Our own Avatar Images too, please tell us that Gifs are allowed as avis? :D
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Matt, good to see you! :)

Indeed, the status images might not be the prettiest but everyone is allowed to upload their own picture in the avatar. And no, no gifs allowed ;)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Y U NO ALLOW GIFS?

(Serious question here)
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey UPAY4DINNER!

The decision to exclude gif avatars - although we know that they'd be much appreciated - was based on:
      - being more reader-friendly (moving images next to the posts can be distracting)
      - avoiding the risk of getting highly inappropriate gifs that we'd not like to feature on the forum (these tend to be popular!) :)

Hope it clarifies, cheers.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      OK, it clarifies but to be honest it just seems that your happy to be mediocre in terms of competing with your competition. I mean 2p2 has gif images and there isn't anything nasty that I've seen there. Some nice looking ladies indeed. Don't see anything wrong with that? Anyways, that's up to you guys.

Also, agree with Matt. The Gold avatar is just plain awful and I'm sure with a little more effort they could be improved greatly.

It's like you're content with hitting a single or a double instead of going for the win and knocking it out of the park!

- Gary
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thanks for the feedback!

With the launch, the features will be as above - however later on, we might change a few things.

We will also have options that we didn't have before and - that we believe will make users' lives easier - for example uploading images in posts (drag & drop into the post editor) as well as the rating/reputation system that should come in 2015.

:)
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      As you can probably see - the new forum is live!

Please share your feedback :milord:
    • xMars
      xMars
      Bronze
      fire whoever is responsible for this attrocity. It must be someone hired by a competitor
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      so how do i get my avatar going?
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      I think its just a question of getting used to it. I'm sure if you asked someone who has never been on the site to choose between the two, they'd choose this
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by jules97
      so how do i get my avatar going?
      Please click your avatar symbol in the header (upper right corner) and either use the Browse button or drag and drop a new image to get the avatar updated.

--
    • gormless
      gormless
      Bronze
      Looks like a great improvement. One thing I have noticed is that it there is no threadstarter mark anymore
    • Katya505
      Katya505
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xMars
      fire whoever is responsible for this attrocity. It must be someone hired by a competitor
      I would like a LIKE button to like this comment...
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      So far I'm happy about it. It looks nicer that the previous one. First off, I thought there was no way to see new posts, but I found out quickly LOL

Well done Poker Strategy :)