Non-showdown stable, showdown dooooooooown

• Lolomanas
      Lolomanas
      Bronze
      Greetings,

I'm playing Rush 10nl. With some ups and downs I made $100 in 10000 hands.

Until the Great Draught began. Then I lost $140 in 4000 hands. I had a laughable amount of very good second-best hands, KK x AA, etc.

This is my question, though:

Even in that 4000 hand interval I'm only slightly down in now-showdown winnings. It's been only slightly up and down the whole period.

What lessons could I take from that?

Thanks!!!!

• 1 reply
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Lolomanas
      Greetings,

I'm playing Rush 10nl. With some ups and downs I made $100 in 10000 hands.

Until the Great Draught began. Then I lost $140 in 4000 hands. I had a laughable amount of very good second-best hands, KK x AA, etc.

This is my question, though:

Even in that 4000 hand interval I'm only slightly down in now-showdown winnings. It's been only slightly up and down the whole period.

What lessons could I take from that?

Thanks!!!!

Hi, Lolomanas,
      Welcome to the PokerStrategy.com forums!

First off, 10K hands of upswing, and 4K of down is not really a large enough sample size, so the following is just speculation.

When the NSD winnings are rising and the SD winnings are falling, it may be a sign that you are being aggressive a bit too much. In other words, you are not giving up when indications are that you're beat.

It seems counter-intuitive to suggest that you can make money by folding, but in reality you're just losing less.

Before you get to head-scratching though, I suggest you read: "The Red Line Myth" by w34z3l -- one of the coaches at PokerStrategy.com. Without a doubt the best article on showdown/non-showdown winnings ever.

Peace,
      VS;