Should I quit?

• clicks
      clicks
      Bronze
      I started playing a few months ago. I joined PokerStrategy and I built my bankroll from free bonuses ($10 joining bonus on PokerStars and $50 PokerStrategy bonus on FullTilt) only to loose it all. I also won a $210 seat in a freeroll to play with Annette 15 in a 20k GTD MTT. I thought I was good for a moment... Is it all luck? :(

PokerStars

FullTilt
  • 10 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      You seem like your loosing a lot quick... I wouldn't quit poker if you have fun playing it... Just re-read the articles and enter coaching...

around 400 games is also a smallish sample size... thats the amount of games many sng players play in one week...

Also are you sticking to BRM? and have you read through the tilt articles?
    • clicks
      clicks
      Bronze
      I only have fun if I win :D

I briefly read about BRM when I started out and thought it was just common sense to play small stakes if that's all that you can afford. I started with $1 SNGs/MTTs and moved on to $3 SNGs/MTTs when I was above $50.

I will read the tilt articles, thanks. I also need to learn a lot more if I want to win. Losing everything so quickly has left me quite disappointed though.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      It seems like your BRM might be your problem up to some point...

playing $3.30 sng's with around $50 bankroll is seriously -ev... To be a winning player on any level on the long run you gotta use at least 30bi brm... So you shouldn't play $3.3 sng's unless your bankroll is ATLEAST $99... I would tho recommend using 50 or even 75 bi bankroll management in the future..

To be a winning player in mtt's on the long run you gotta use at least 75+BI for the limit your playing. Meaning atleast $248 too run $3.30 mtt's... Most players that grind mtt's use +100bi BRM.
    • Grindithard
      Grindithard
      Bronze
      I think that you should re-read all articles several times until you feel you have learned all the basics. And when you play make sure you stick to the basics and BRM.
      Also have patience with the game. Becoming a winning player takes a lot of effort and dedication.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Poker isnt a get-rich-quick thing, its a slow process of grinding up the ranks and getting better through careful study of the game.
      You might win big at some point even if you don't read the PS strats, but usually you will lose it equally as fast.
      If the only fun for you is winning then you will have a hard time when you lose.
    • adprocas
      adprocas
      Bronze
      Stick with it buddy and don't stop learning.

I don't know if this is mentioned on this site, but try to put it this way.

To be a professional hockey player you must first know the rules of the game and how to play, right?

Well, I know how to play hockey, and I know how to skate, but there is no way I could be a pro. Why? Because I haven't trained to be a pro.

So, I go through 10 years of training, and now I'm pro level. I get a contract to play for the Detroit Red Wings. I think, damn, I'm on my way to kiss the cup!

I figure, I know how to play the game, I'm this good now, so I'm going to stop training and just play.

What happens to me? I slowly start getting worse and worse until I get traded to some crap team like Pittsburgh. Then Pittsburgh, despite being such a crappy team, sends me down to their farm team and I can't play in the NHL anymore.

Judging by then numbers you showed, it looks like maybe you got the skills to do well in poker, then stopped learning. You followed the advice, then thought you were doing everything the same, but you weren't.

You didn't keep your skills sharp and thus started making mistakes.

Go back and read all of the articles over again and spend a bit of time every day reading about how to play.

What I am going to do (I am in a similar situation) is spend 3 hours a day reading about how to play and about 1 or 2 hours playing. I'm sure I will end up switching the times spent on both eventually, but not for quite some time.

Good luck with everything!
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      @ adprocas I would like to comment about your hockey experiences but It's not proper in someones post. Feel free to make a post in the NHL or bust thread in the sports section. Thanks!

@ clicks.. Keep up with the studying part of the game. I still have to learn a lot more also. If you are a tourney player get pt3 60 day trial it will help you evaluate your game.
    • adprocas
      adprocas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CardBender420
      @ adprocas I would like to comment about your hockey experiences but It's not proper in someones post. Feel free to make a post in the NHL or bust thread in the sports section. Thanks!

@ clicks.. Keep up with the studying part of the game. I still have to learn a lot more also. If you are a tourney player get pt3 60 day trial it will help you evaluate your game.
      Sorry, I wasn't trying to hi-jack the thread or anything with the hockey post. I was trying to compare to a professional sport and added a bit of humour as well.

I also for got to mention and wanted to say, clicks, follow the Bankroll management a lot closer!! You said you just glanced over it and thought it was common sense. NEVER think that way about poker. That's one thing I have learned over and over again. NEVER think something is common sense. Always question and research, even the most basic concepts.

Bankroll management is probably the most important thing to follow.
    • clicks
      clicks
      Bronze
      @adprocas
      You are spot on. That is exactly what I did, I stopped learning. Thanks for your insight! When I was winning I was following the starting hands chart closely, as well as watching far too many episodes of High Stakes Poker (highly recommended to improve your game btw). I also have to agree with you, I too think I have got the skills to do well in poker :D

@CardBender420
      Thanks! What is pt3?

@TheBrood
      For now making a profit would be nice, I'll stick to the lottery for making me rich :P Also, I admit I have to get used to losing, but does anyone really enjoy losing?

You have all given me some great advice. Thanks a lot! I think I am on my way to winning at poker again :)
      clicks
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      No-one likes to lose but you MUST understand why you lost in order to avoid making the same mistake.