regarding strategy articles (silver)

• excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      first off a compliment sandwich:

your articles and videos and support has been invaluable. thank you ever so much for your help with my poker development. it has changed my outlook on poker and of course has helped me get some $$$, namely i am on $250 after nearly 4 weeks of not as constant playing as one would have thought.

BUT i have now been reading the silver articles to improve my skills as I feel that i have comprehended bronze and basic articles. My problem is that silver articles seem to pressupose that I am using all the software available so that I have some sort if insight into my opponents' gamestyle. I actually have not been using any software at all, mainly because I cannot be bothered downloading and installing and learning. I am thinking that I will get Elephant when I hit 600 points so that I will not find myself running out of time before i get the license.

I am already feeling massively uncomfortable knowing that people record my every move but I do keep notes of playing styles of people I have come across that have helped me quite a bit.

My question is, why is such an emphasis given on the software? One article goes as far to say that it is pretty scary to not know an opponent, which i found particularly funny. why are we so dependent on them? Is there really nothing more to know other than the basic and bronze articles?

i have started playing differently to my normal style when i see people i meet pretty often so that their stats get all messed up... see how they like THAT!

(to finish the sandwich) good job to everyone who has helped create this!
  • 3 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      It's simple really... stats tell you so many things and are so helpful, you really should use them. If you play SSS I think you can play without stats to like NL100 but with BSS they're so valuable.. at least to me
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      do you play FL or NL? SSS/BSS?

The articles are pretty vague when it comes to using HUD stats, strangely there isnt even an article dedicated to them - as you go through the articles you suddenly reach a point where they assume you have started to use them.

If you are playing low limits you shouldnt need stats - it is far more important to work on your basic game and if you cant beat nl10 without stats, you probably wont beat any other limit with them.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      i will give u an example.

imagine u are holding QQ and u raise. then a player after you reraises you muuuch.

if he got stats like 7 VPIP [percentage of preflop hands he plays] / 5 PRF [Prefop raise - percentage of hands he raises] you can be sure he got AA or KK. and this is like 100%. The worst scenario is that he is holding QQ.

BUT

if he got station like 30 VPIP / 28 PRF , u can easyily shove and this would be profitable for you.

this is a very simple example and there are many other statistics which are really usefull.