For fun. And a few bucks.

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yo!
      I decided to start playing cards again. Yay! So what, you might ask?
      Nothing, really. Just that now I feel like I have the proper state of mind to do it.
      Long story short, I will be playing 1 table sng on PokerStars and FTP. This is the format I've had the greatest success on. I remember I had around 6.5% ROI after 2300 turbo games played on the $2+0.2 and $6+0.5 games on FTP back in the day. Anyway, those money weren't enough to support myself then. I switched my job and became full time veterinarian. I gave it some thought and decided to switch the games too. I started playing cash games. It was just not fun. I had no fun memorizing ranges, I had no fun actually playing on the tables. I had some degree of success as I was able to reach NL50 rush back then. But it was just mechanical, it felt like a labor, nor like a hobby. So I cashed around $1300 out and I quit the game.
      For a hobby I played starcraft 2 for a few months. If you are familiar with it's ladder, I reached high to mid diamond level in 2 seasons, this is like a mediocre skill level, nothing really special. I saw that if I pushed myself, if I play like 2-3 hours per day I could reach master level. I decided against it, again because the game wasn't fun. Brood war was like 100 times more addictive and challenging to play. As far as I am concerned, SC2 is not up to its standards.
      From a few weeks I've been wondering what to do with the time on my hands. I downloaded the PokerStars.com client (I still got like $300 there) and I rolled a few SNGs. And, WOW! It's actually fun again. My motivation on quitting sngs was to be able to still play the game and not have to leave the SNG tables when a customer comes in. Little did I know that it would kill my pleasure.
      Now that I make some decent money (for Bulgarian standards at least), I can play just for fun. This doesn't mean that I won't enjoy some profit at the end of the month. But even if my ROI suffers a bit for when I leave the tables and the blinds roll, I won't mind it. I will be playing for fun and recreation and a few bucks down the drain are a fine price to pay.
      Yesterday I got the ICM trainer and did a few sessions. I remember I used to rock like 97% from 500 situations. Now it's like this:
      https://app.box.com/s/fbqb8tlufx2qqieo19pf

I know I will raise it up to around 97% again in a few weeks. I am really motivated to play and share my experience with anyone who would read it.
      So gl hf for now!
  • 4 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Hey.
      I guess I am retarded. Or my HM2 is messing with me. Can someone see this pic and explain it to me, please?

I mean, it doesn't make sense. My net winnings are not -$50 for 77 games. They are like -$15. Is there some setting I am missing where it doesn't calculate correctly? Should I just do a new database?
      Thank you to whoever sees and replies to this.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Good luck with your new blog.
      Looks like HM2 missed some results if you had only lose $15. Make sure PokerStars saves Tournament summaries in English. Otherwise I don’t know what problem it is. Further you can always ask it on HM2 Board. You get than a better solution on your problem.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Thank you for your input. I just might contact HM as I can't fix it by myself.
      I've developed a plan. I have to play at least 20 normal SNGs per day, 30 when I can. I also will work on my ICM and read some books. Particularly SNG strategy my mister Moshman and also will finish The poker mindset.
      So today I played the 20 sngs and I did 200 situations on the ICM trainer. I did it with 95% success rate which is good. I will still work in it, to push it to 97-98% withing 2 weeks or so.
      I don't have time to read a book now, I have to go pick my daughter from the kindergarten.
      Till next time. See you and hf!
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Hey.
      I played my desired games yesterday but didn't do the ICM. So today I did a lot of ICM and played like 1/2 of the planned games. I got easily bored, don't know why.
      I also read SNG strategy book. It's so full of knowledge.
      And also I kinda get the feeling that I suck. I keep losing small amounts of money. Like 4-5 buyins here and there. Have to see what is wrong. It's just that my sample size is so small I don't think there's much sense in searching for huge leaks.
      Alright, when I do like 150 games I will share some stats and a graph and stuff.
      Ciao!