My stars/party blog

• straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      About time I started my own blog. First of all thank you pokerstrategy for the free starting capital. By the way my name is matt, I will be your host and Im an online player from canada. I will try and keep this blog interesting.

Poker Background

For the past couple of years I've watched poker on tv and got hooked immediately. Also have read some books about the subject. When I signed up with pokerstrategy this is the first time that I have played online poker for real money, my experience thus far has been a positive one.

What Im currently doing with poker.

I got my starting capital on partypoker and Im currently playing nl10 sss fr. On pokerstars Im playing $1.00+$0.10 double up, turbo, 10 player sit n gos. Aside from poker I also use partybets for sport wagers.

Short Term Goals

1) Clear $50+$100 starting bonus. (completed)
      2) Obtain elephant license. (completed)
      3) Move up to FL30. (When I have $200 br)
      4) Learn fixed limit. (In Progress)
      5) Steadily increase br anyway I can.
      6) Reach gold status.

Long Term Goals

1) Reach platinum and diamond status on ps.
      2) Earn palladium lounge elite status.
      3) Win a share of the bbj.
      4) Win a big tournament.
      5) Become a good stt and mtt player.

Miscellaneous

1) Review cash table hands to see what I did right and wrong.
      2) Re read articles every now and then.
      3) Attend a coaching.
      4) Post hands if Im not sure I played the hand right.
      5) Browse through posting hands forum.
      6) I also keep a daily log in a notebook of profits, losses, points collected.
  • 129 replies
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Funny Pokerstars Story

At the end of september pokerstars sent me an email telling me if I completed one of their surveys they would credit my account with 300 fpp's. At this time I did not have any money or fpp's in my account. About a week later my account had been credited. So I looked around to see how I could spend my points and possible make some money. I found a $500 tourney that cost only 10 fpp's to enter. Eventually made some cashes in that tourney with my best finish of 12th place, usually over 3000 players in that tourney. Presently my br at stars is about $8.00. Off to a nice start. Hope I can still take advantage of the deposit bonus since I have yet to make a deposit on there.

Party

Didn't play at the cash tables today. Couldn't find any good tables to sit at so I decided not to play at all. Haven't played on the cash tables lately, I'll explain later. But I did win at partybets tonight for the fifth night in a row, been good at picking the winners lately. Br at party is around $200.00

Thats all for now.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Not a whole lot to report today. Got back to the cash tables today at party. Had a downswing at the beginning of the month and decided to take some time off for awhile.

Party
      Nl10, sss, fr
      Hands played 193
      Profit/Loss -$1.50

Pokerstars
      $1.10 turbo double or nothing stt's
      Profit/Loss +$1.25
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      MULTI TABLEING

Currently at the cash tables Im only playing 2 tables at a time. I haven't been able to do more than that since I have a very small monitor. Also I don't feel that comfortable with more then that at this time. In the future Im going to have to play more tables at a single time since loyalty programs reward the more hands a person plays.

I did do a little experimenting today. I added on a third table today and im glad I did. On that third table think I stayed there for one rotation of the table, by the time I left I had over $8.00, first time that happened to me. Also tried sets of 2 with the stt's on stars.

Party
      Nl10, sss, fr
      Hands played 46
      Profit/Loss +$6.15

Pokerstars
      Profit/Loss +$0.40

matt
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      LOYALTY PROGRAM ON PARTYPOKER

I'll probably hit queen level 4 in a couple of days and when I do I'll have enough points to cash out a $25.00 coupon. Once I have enough points should I cash it out or just leave it alone? Those points will be worth so much more later on but in the short term it means not getting anything back. Don't really need the cash right now though. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Party
      Nl10, sss, fr
      Hands played 219
      Profit/Loss $3.52

Pokerstars
      Profit/Loss $0.50

Matt.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      You might just aswell get the $25 now. Upwards you only have $100 and $500 coupons, and the exchange rate is the same on those = 100 points per dollar.

But if you don't need it, you could just keep it as savings.. :)

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I think Party is going to introduce new loalty program in December. I don't think it can be any worse than the one they already have so keeping the points and using them latter on is the better option IMO. Unless they decide to just restart everything from scratch and we lose all the points of course, lol. But I don't think this will be the case. I'm keeping my points anyway..
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by LuborC
      I think Party is going to introduce new loalty program in December. I don't think it can be any worse than the one they already have so keeping the points and using them latter on is the better option IMO. Unless they decide to just restart everything from scratch and we lose all the points of course, lol. But I don't think this will be the case. I'm keeping my points anyway..
      Thanks for the suggestion. I think that I will wait and see what kinds of changes are made at party in december. I will hold onto my points for now. Made queen level 4 yesterday.

Results since last update
      Party
      NL10, SSS, FR
      Hands played 597
      Profit/Loss -$5.25

Pokerstars
      Profit/Loss +$0.90

Matt.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      NEW PROMOTION ON PARTYPOKER

Today was the first day of party's new promotion. I can guarantee that I will not win anything since I play few hands per day. Once again another promo that favours the high volume players that play at higher limits. Really how can a player playing at nl10 compete with a player at nl100. Theres no chance since at nl100 players earn way more points. Party should have some promotions where anyone can win something.

Okay enough rambling. Im still in the minus for the month at party. Only at about -8 buyins for the month. I'll post a graph at the end of the month. Made hardly anything today, tables were way too tight. Whenever I would pick up a good hand, I would raise it and only pick up the blinds. That sucks.

Decided to try something new today at pokerstars. Hit the nl10 cash tables today. Only had about 5+ buyins for sss. I know very bad bankroll management. Was kinda fishy on there. I'd raise it up and get called with hands like 79o. I wonder if it is always this fishy on there.

Party
      NL10, SSS, FR
      Hands Played 287
      Profit/Loss +$0.20

Pokerstars
      NL10, SSS, FR
      Hands Played 72
      Profit/Loss +$4.10

Matt
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Known players:
      keine.

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , T:heart:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) K:heart: , A:heart: , 8:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.65) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40.

River: ($1.45) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60 (All-In), MP2 calls $0.60.

Final Pot: $2.65

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a royal flush (Jh Th)
      MP2 shows two pairs, kings and queens (Qs Kc)

Hero wins with a royal flush (Jh Th)

This is my third one in the past 5 months. Don't really play that many hands per day. Is this normal?

Matt.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I also want... never had one in my entire life :(

Nice hand :)
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Seems to me that NL10 on pokerstars is alot fishier then NL10 on party. Only a small sample size on stars right now but I think its very possible to have a 12-20 bb/100 ratio. Got sucked out on a few hands today bringing my winrate down. But if those couple of hands had stood up I could have been around 20 bb/100 today. Thats about where I was at yesterday.

Party
      NL10, SSS, FR
      Hands Played 177
      Profit/Loss +$1.45

Pokerstars
      NL10, SSS, FR
      Hands Played 261
      Profit/Loss +$2.20
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Hey again straddler

Looks like you make a nice steady progress on NL10. Congrats on that.

I stated earlier that you might as well use your points now. New loyalty program or not, my suggestion was bad. Cause the more you play the bigger multiplier you get and the less standard points you need to get the big cashes.. :)

Cheers
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by Kimber88
      Hey again straddler

Looks like you make a nice steady progress on NL10. Congrats on that.

I stated earlier that you might as well use your points now. New loyalty program or not, my suggestion was bad. Cause the more you play the bigger multiplier you get and the less standard points you need to get the big cashes.. :)

Cheers
      Thanks kimber88

Matt.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Haven't heard anything yet about the new vip program for party thats supposed to debut next month. I think more then a few players a little nervous about it. Im not really but I hope its alot better then what they have now. They need to give players more options on what to do with there reward points. Just a thought.

Pokerstars
      NL10, SSS, FR
      Hands Played 262
      Profit/Loss +3.25

Matt.
    • Gambitwd
      Gambitwd
      Bronze
      Hello Matt!!

Nice blog you have and a steady & calm player you seem to be , I need to take exemple on ya :evil: Also I have read that you are from Canada ? From which province are you? Just cusrious because Im Canadian too, from Quebec :)

Talk soon Matt, Ill come back to read you!

Have a good day and keep it up with poker ;)

Christine :heart:
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by Gambitwd
      Hello Matt!!

Nice blog you have and a steady & calm player you seem to be , I need to take exemple on ya :evil: Also I have read that you are from Canada ? From which province are you? Just cusrious because Im Canadian too, from Quebec :)

Talk soon Matt, Ill come back to read you!

Have a good day and keep it up with poker ;)

Hi Christine.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look at my blog thus far. Im from ontario. About a half hour from london, out in the country.

Matt.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      LEARNING FIXED LIMIT

Didn't get to play any poker today :( . One of my short term goals was to learn how to play fixed limit. I did manage to read all of the basic, bronze and silver articles today. I plan to play a couple hundred hands tommorrow and see how it goes.

Matt.
    • Gambitwd
      Gambitwd
      Bronze
      Hello Matt!

wow! lots of reading youve done then EEK!!
      Best of luck tomorrow with FL :)

Take Care

• straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by Gambitwd
      Hello Matt!

wow! lots of reading youve done then EEK!!
      Best of luck tomorrow with FL :)

Take Care

Hi Christine.

Yes that is alot of reading and thanks.

Matt.