Micro Coaches

• Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Dear friendly poker playing community (or so I hope),

Let me get straight to the point. I am looking for a coach and I would like your help in finding and choosing one. I appreciate there are coaches threads elsewhere, however, I am unsure as to who is active, who is recommended etc etc. I did try and contact one of them but to no avail!

Firstly, if your response to this thread is "but you don't need a coach at the micros just watch the videos" or "play ABC poker" or something to that affect then please don't respond. It's not the advice I am after and although I do appreciate it, I have come to the conclusion on my own that I do need a coach if I am to make the necessary improvements to my game. I have taken this 'self learn' approach before but as I am sure some, if not all, of you will appreciate people learn in different ways and with different methods.

A bit about me (poker 'me' anyway):

I am currently playing NL10 and I have been for far far too long. I have a very swingy game and I am more than aware that I have leaks. My good and bad sessions are essentially based on run-good/run-bad and this isn't the optimum way to grind up the limits.

I have a full time job and I am also a personal trainer on the side. However, I am able to put in a couple of hours most nights and even more at the weekend and would be more keen to do so under good guidance (a coach).

What I am after:

I have used coaches before. Some have been good but I find often there isn't an awful lot of structure or long term dedication. I need someone who is going to take the time, and as such someone who has the time, to teach me the skills I need to grind up through the limits. This person needs patience because I like to ask questions and I will continue to ask questions until I get an answer that I understand therefore "because I said so" often doesn't fly.

I am also after someone who is 100% confident in his/her ability to teach anyone a profitable way of playing NLHE. This he/she must be convinced they can turn anyone into a good poker player/grinder.

What I am willing to give:

Payment, naturally. I am willing to pay providing I am convinced in the package I am getting.

Time. The spare time that I have I will use towards carrying out what I am asked providing the person doing the teaching realises the constraints I stated above (job, PT, fiancée etc)

Dedication. I love playing poker. I hate losing at poker. So you will be getting an incredibly determined player, who hates losing, and is happy to listen.

Ok people, your thoughts please?

• 13 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Greedyfly,

I agree totally. Self learning can take you only so far and eventually you can stagnate. Indeed this is when you need further information on more advanced concepts.

It would help if we knew what types of games you play?

Regards

Laz
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Greedyfly
      Dear friendly poker playing community (or so I hope),

Let me get straight to the point. I am looking for a coach and I would like your help in finding and choosing one. I appreciate there are coaches threads elsewhere, however, I am unsure as to who is active, who is recommended etc etc. I did try and contact one of them but to no avail!

Firstly, if your response to this thread is "but you don't need a coach at the micros just watch the videos" or "play ABC poker" or something to that affect then please don't respond. It's not the advice I am after and although I do appreciate it, I have come to the conclusion on my own that I do need a coach if I am to make the necessary improvements to my game. I have taken this 'self learn' approach before but as I am sure some, if not all, of you will appreciate people learn in different ways and with different methods.

A bit about me (poker 'me' anyway):

I am currently playing NL10 and I have been for far far too long. I have a very swingy game and I am more than aware that I have leaks. My good and bad sessions are essentially based on run-good/run-bad and this isn't the optimum way to grind up the limits.

I have a full time job and I am also a personal trainer on the side. However, I am able to put in a couple of hours most nights and even more at the weekend and would be more keen to do so under good guidance (a coach).

What I am after:

I have used coaches before. Some have been good but I find often there isn't an awful lot of structure or long term dedication. I need someone who is going to take the time, and as such someone who has the time, to teach me the skills I need to grind up through the limits. This person needs patience because I like to ask questions and I will continue to ask questions until I get an answer that I understand therefore "because I said so" often doesn't fly.

I am also after someone who is 100% confident in his/her ability to teach anyone a profitable way of playing NLHE. This he/she must be convinced they can turn anyone into a good poker player/grinder.

What I am willing to give:

Payment, naturally. I am willing to pay providing I am convinced in the package I am getting.

Time. The spare time that I have I will use towards carrying out what I am asked providing the person doing the teaching realises the constraints I stated above (job, PT, fiancée etc)

Dedication. I love playing poker. I hate losing at poker. So you will be getting an incredibly determined player, who hates losing, and is happy to listen.

Ok people, your thoughts please?

Im with you on this one.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I know you said NL10 NLHE, but to Lazza's question is that full ring, 6-max, HU, speed, etc...?

I'm not a cash player, but I found that joining a skype study group was a great experience for me and free. Another option is a long-term coaching for profit deal, but before entering into that I would recommend you get to know the coach well first to make sure your two styles (i.e. coaching/learning) work well together.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Thanks for some good responses.

In answer to the question what am I playing; Its mostly NL10, full ring, normal speed/Zoom, 4 tabling. I do play the odd Multi Table SnG but I don't want to concentrate on that for now.

I am after someone with the attributes to help me grind the limits from NL10 upwards.

A study group is also a great suggestion but where would I find this? This would need to be as well as a coach mind but seems a great way to meet like minded players.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Anyone? Is this community this quiet? Genuine question :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Greedyfly,

There are a lot of study groups around the forums, but if you like you could start one yourself! =)
      As for coaches, I wouldn't claim to be expert enough (or bold enough) to suggest a particular one over another. However, W34z3l (who specializes) and Bierbaer and Bogdan are all highly regarded and popular choices for microstakes if that helps.

Regards,

Mal.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Thanks Gadget. I'll check out some of these guys. Appreciate the response
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Glad to be of assistance Greedyfly,
      If you need any help further you know where we are. =)

Mal.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      What's the best way of getting hold of any of them Gadget?
    • peddy53
      peddy53
      Bronze
      Just go on the forum under private coaching, a sub forum in general poker discussion =)
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Thanks Peddy. Unfortunately I was going to contact W34z3l and I noticed he didn't have a coaching page. I did try another, Pleno, but he didn't seem active.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Greedyfly,

You can find w34z3l's coaching page at w34z3l's Cash Game Coaching!.

As for skype study groups, they can be found on our Learning to Win board.

Regards

Laz
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Greedyfly,

You can find w34z3l's coaching page at w34z3l's Cash Game Coaching!.

As for skype study groups, they can be found on our Learning to Win board.

Regards

Laz