HUSNG: Paired board as preaggressor with AX?

• Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      I've been wondering how I'm supposed to play these flops, J66rainbow for example, when I'm on the BU as preaggro.

Do I cbet to try to take it down right there, but therefor also pretty much turning my hand into a bluff - and opening the possibility for villain to raise me of the best hand? Also, turn & rivers can get pretty nasty when you suspect being floated.

Or do I play it check-back, trying to get to a cheap SD for the SDvalue? Possibly calling of a turn or river bet as bluffcatcher?

I realize this is much depending on villains tendencies, but if we assume villain is unknown, how do we handle this most +ev?

Thanks! =)
  • 3 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi there :)

Good questions and as you said-the answers come mostly depending on our opponent. Vs an unknown-I will cbet my Ax there, expect to get many folds and collect the chips right there without giving the opportunity for opponent to realize his equity. F.e. 45 is still gonna outmuscle our Ax by the river sometimes. So we are happy folding that. There is also value to be taken by Kx, strong Qx type of hands.

If, however, our opponent is on the aggro side and c/r us a lot, I def. prefer to c/b the flop. I will sometimes c/b this flop even vs a reg or a non aggro opponent, just to mix up my game. You are also not gonna get bluffed very often, because your line looks like Jx, Ax, Kx and people expect you to have something when you don't cbet this flop. You can also c/b this flop sometimes with a weak hand for those reasons. This way you get benefits ITLR by having lower cbet.
    • Guthans
      Guthans
      Silver
      Thanks for your reply, tricky spot indeed, but I think you explained it very well.
      I have to ask, when you say c/b, what do you mean? I thought it would have been a ch/c? Or do you mean ch/b OTT?

Edit: Oh, you mean check behind? Abit after on the terms I'm afraid :f_biggrin:
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Yes, I meant check behind :) Don't feel shy asking any questions!