A Backwards Introduction...

• sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      Hey everyone, I am here to introduce myself (I have made one post already hence the word 'backwards' in the title!).

My name's Sol and I'm from the UK EDIT:I have added a picture to my profile so you can put a face to a name. I'm currently working full time as a pharmacy assistant, although I do more than I'm paid for. I get paid just enough to rent a flat, pay the bills and have an extremely inconsistent social life. I'm educated to degree level (business - strategy/entrepreneurship/economics) and although I didn't get the 1:1 that I wanted, I am proud of turning my results around in such a short time (from borderline 2:2/2:1 level to consistent 1:1 results - until my exams).

The last few years that I have spent in and out of university, I have lost a lot of focus and work ethic - it's funny how a lot of time on your hands can do that to you. Now that I'm working full-time my ambition and work ethic has come back gradually up to the point I am now ready to fully commit to a goal that will bring about more radical changes to my life i.e. poker.

A few very general "achievements" I have made in the past:
      -Gone from 150lbs to 196lbs (currently sitting at ~190-192lbs) by going to the gym. I am 6' 3" tall so you can imagine how skinny I was to begin with!
      I've picked up 32kg dumbbells and incline benched them 5x3 so that was a moment I like to cherish, from where I could barely do press ups.
      -Changed my 'luck' with girls completely (I have a girlfriend of 3 years now and did relatively well for myself before her...she doesn't like to be reminded so no one tell her, alright?)
      -Gone from no job for 6 months to employed, in my own space and paying my own bills
      -Updated my wardrobe so at least I look half decent walking down the street nowadays

If you've made it this far, thank you. I hope I will get to know a lot of people on this forum better and improve with them also! If I can do anything at all (there isn't much I'm good at sorry!) to help anyone here I would be more than welcome to as I'm sure I will be asking more than my fair share of questions!

Thanks guys/girls, looking forward to making some new friends!
  • 11 replies
    • sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      I forgot to talk about my poker background so far :tongue: ....

I deposited $10 into 888poker earlier this year and have played on and off with mainly 6-man SnGs. I have read a little bit on poker and I have managed to build by bankroll to about $50 from mainly the $1 buy-ins.

I can obviously make money from this, but I want to be a lot more proficient at doing it - this is why I'm here :) .

• Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi Sol, welcome to Pokerstrategy!

That's a really nice and interesting introduction. I definitely agree with you that an abundance of free time can lead to a loss of focus and work ethic. I've been looking for an internship position that is required to finish my university degree for almost a full year now, and I'm getting really sick of having so much time and so little to do.

Congrats on your job and being able to pay your own bills, that's the next step I need to take in my life.

So you're a SNG player? In this case, have you already looked at our strategy articles about this format, including our SNG beginner's strategy? I also recommend downloading the ICM Trainer, if you haven't already. It's a useful tool to practice your late game, and it's completely free.

Also, maybe you want to start your own blog in our blogs section. It's a nice way to keep us updated about your progress and receive advice on your play. And judging from your introductory post, I'm sure it would be a nice read as well.

See you around!
    • sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      Thanks Harrier, for the warm welcome!

Good to hear you have almost finished your degree and congratulations for sticking through it, of course. What is it you're studying? I tended to end up in the gym when I had a lot of time on my hands, it was great to have even that tiny bit of focus to keep me sane! Thank you for the congratulations.

I have started detailing a plan to get me to where I want to be. Needless to say, the strategy articles on this site are quite literally at the top of my list of planned education. Thanks for the tip, I will certainly have a look at it when the time is right!

I am leaning towards a blog actually...
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sol8921
      Good to hear you have almost finished your degree and congratulations for sticking through it, of course. What is it you're studying? I tended to end up in the gym when I had a lot of time on my hands, it was great to have even that tiny bit of focus to keep me sane! Thank you for the congratulations.
      I'm studying a rather obscure Bachelor of Arts degree which is called "Anglophone Studies". Basically, it's about the English language, literature, linguistics etc. and it also includes some cultural studies courses (I'm from a non-English speaking country). That was already a minor problem in my hunt for internship positions, because it is tough to find any suitable jobs for this degree.

I used to do a lot of sports as well, back when I actually had to attend courses and lectures. There were two semesters in which I was doing three sports at the same time, so I had to show up in practice almost every day. It was a nice way to stay busy, even though I might have overdone it a little.

Btw, I forgot to ask in my last post: Have you considered opening up a tracked account at one of our partner rooms? That way, you would be able to earn StrategyPoints by playing, which gives you the opportunity to earn a higher status and access to more content on this website.
    • sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      I can see how that degree would be hard to find internship positions for - it's certainly obscure, I'm sure many people think you're studying an instrument! Considering you're from a non-English speaking country, your written English is immaculate.

Wow that sounds great with the sports life, I'm sure it was hard to keep up with all the socials also. I know most of the time I missed lectures was because of a certain way way of spending a night...

I already have an account on 888poker, would that not be eligible for it (I have tried linking it but it came up with message - can't remember what exactly)?
      Also, is there a poker site considered 'better' than the others, or are you not allowed to have show favour?
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I'm sure many people think you're studying an instrument!
      :f_biggrin:
      Actually, most people just gave me a perplexed look when I told them what I study. Sometimes, I decided to take the easy way out and simply said that I studied English. This often made people think that I'm trying to become a teacher, but at least they had a vague idea about what I'm really studying.
      One student once famously misspelled the name of this degree as "Anglophobe Studies"...

I already have an account on 888poker, would that not be eligible for it (I have tried linking it but it came up with message - can't remember what exactly)?
      Unfortunately, you need to create your account through our website in order to get it tracked, so if you already have your account, there is nothing that can be done about it.

To give you a personal recommendation, I believe that you should consider creating an account at Pokerstars at one point. It's by far the largest poker site out there, and they offer the greatest variety of games, as well as excellent traffic. Most players will end up playing at this room sooner or later in their career. The downside is that the player pool is a bit tougher than on many other sites, but you should be able to find plenty of fish at the lowest stakes no matter where you play.

We actually have a dedicated forum thread for this, where an expert will help you choose the optimal poker room for your current situation. If you ever decide to open up a tracked account somewhere, I'd recommend that you get some advice in this thread first.

Also, keep in mind that we offer free poker money for signing up at certain poker sites.
    • sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      It's starting to sound like it takes as much work to explain what you're studying as to actually study it :D !

One student once famously misspelled the name of this degree as "Anglophobe Studies"...

That's amazing, I can imagine that resulted in few raised eyebrows!!

Unfortunately, you need to create your account through our website in order to get it tracked, so if you already have your account, there is nothing that can be done about it.

To give you a personal recommendation, I believe that you should consider creating an account at Pokerstars at one point. It's by far the largest poker site out there, and they offer the greatest variety of games, as well as excellent traffic. Most players will end up playing at this room sooner or later in their career. The downside is that the player pool is a bit tougher than on many other sites, but you should be able to find plenty of fish at the lowest stakes no matter where you play.

We actually have a dedicated forum thread for this, where an expert will help you choose the optimal poker room for your current situation. If you ever decide to open up a tracked account somewhere, I'd recommend that you get some advice in this thread first.

Ah, I understand now.

Thank you for the recommendation, it sounds like a winner and a challenge - both things I like.

I also want to thank you for being so helpful and informative, I couldn't have asked for more as a new member!
    • sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      Harrier, you mentioned the ICM trainer - is there an English version of it? I can't understand the German(?) ?(
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      Harrier, you mentioned the ICM trainer - is there an English version of it? I can't understand the German(?) ?(
      haha :D

check it out here

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-tools/

greets NVKS
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      It should be possible to change the language in the version that you currently have. In the task bar at the top, you should see a button labeled "Extras". Click on it, select "Sprache" (language), and then select English.

Btw, I just noticed that you started your blog last night. I'll be following, of course.
    • sol8921
      sol8921
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      It should be possible to change the language in the version that you currently have. In the task bar at the top, you should see a button labeled "Extras". Click on it, select "Sprache" (language), and then select English.

https://i.imgur.com/CE96Zf7.png

Btw, I just noticed that you started your blog last night. I'll be following, of course.
      That fixed it, thank you :) .

I definitely have, when you suggested it I was in two minds to start one now or later. I picked the former, and it's all your fault haha!

P.S. I'm glad you will be following