Free $5 - My bankroll challenge

• Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Hi peeps. (excuse the long post)

I am embarking on an ambitious quest to build a bankroll with just $5 and see how far I can get. I hope to post updates from time to time for anyone who is interested and maybe get some feedback on whats happened.

The story so far

I signed up with Poker Strategy a little while back and I have used Mansion poker up to now. I began with NL10 SSS which was fun but frustrating. I found I didnt really build much BR from this because I didnt have very good discipline, got bored easily and deviated from the strategy often. Its safe to say I wasnt the best SSS player when I started.

So I went onto SnGs, which were much more profitable for me. I eventually got my BR to about $130 and I moved up to the different SnG buyins.
      I made my success at $5 double or nothings in sets of 3, aiming to cash in at least two. These took my BR to about $250. I felt great about my play, because at least I was a winning player and getting up the limits, slowly.
      My stats were 17/13/1.8 (Vpip/PFR/AF) after about 600 tournaments ROI was about 7% overall but a healthy 15% for the $5 double ups.

Mansion poker decided to change its software and network and I therefore decided to change poker room. So I cashed out my mansion bankroll and installed PokerStars instead. I waited until my withdrawal from Mansion had cleared before attempting to deposit anything, so I took a short break from playing. When I returned to PokerStars I noticed they had deposited $5 into my account for free!! And with this, I decided to set myself a challenge.

As ridiculous as it may seem, I am going to attempt to build a bankroll from this free $5. I understand it doesnt give me much protection from variance, and more than likely ill lose it pretty quickly but with a bit of luck and some solid play, I hope to do it.

I will play only SnGs to start with mainly $1.10 turbo double ups and $1.15 regular double ups but also the normal $1.20 9 man SnGs. I am aiming to follow all the basic strategies and eventually get my bankroll to the initial $50 that PS gave me to start with. From here I can start all over again. I might then add to my bankroll, or just play it out and see what happens. I havent decided. I mean I might not even get there yet. :-)

So far I have experienced many swings. My lowest point was $1.57 which left me with only one buy-in, and i had to go for broke. I managed to recover from that low and reach my highest point at $10.30. I am currently sitting at about $6.50. After 50 tournaments I only have a ROI of 3% so I am struggling to keep my head above water here.

I just need my hands to hold up more. I have counted many many bad beats already at this level (two outers, hero premium pocket pair vs villian ace rag, runner runners etc), so I just need the odds to even out in my favour. I believe I get the money in good 90% so its a matter of time before I start a decent streak.

I find the players pretty terrible really, and the mistake I made to start with was believing they would respect raises, or understand the concept of odds. But they just dont. So I have resorted to ABC poker, nothing fancy.

So there you have it, I hope I havent bored you too much, but ill post again to update how things are going. It would be good to hear from anyone else who has either done something similar or is doing it at the moment.

Any comments welcome.
      Good luck all
      CHRIS
  • 24 replies
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Nastypasty

Good luck with your challenge. Pokerstars never gave me $5, whats up with that. They did however give me 300 fpp's for completing one of their surverys though. And now I have a br on stars of about $9, been stuck around that total the last few days though.

I've been playing the $1.10 turbo stt's. How long are the blind levels in the $1.15 stt's. What's your user id on stars?
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      go check my blog... it can help. It's just that I've lost 100$ lately so I'm not very proud about it....
      It's in the blog section of course... I started with 4.76$
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Morning folks, hope your doing well.

I only managed to have a few games last night but my current bankroll is standing at $8.71. ROI just over 7%. I played three $1.15 Double ups last night and luckily for me, I cashed in all three of them. I usually aim to cash in two to bank a profit, but cashing in three is a welcome bonus.

The tournaments went completely differently. The first tournament I entered took all of 13 minutes to complete. Infact in the third hand two people got knocked out, the 5th hand knocked out two more and it only took 16 hands for the whole tournament to be completed. I played only one hand, and even that was a freeplay from the BB. The other tournaments took the best part of an hour, with all kinds of crazy plays and suck outs keeping the short stacks in business.

But, at least we are going upwards again.

Ill update you next time I play, and hopefully it'll be with some good news.

Also - Straddler - I am Nastypasty88 and the blind levels, I am not so sure of the exact times to be honest, maybe 5 or 6 minutes? I just prefer the regular ones to the Turbos because you can play ultra tight for the first 30 hands and just let the other players attack each other. It doesnt cost much in blinds and normally 3 players or so, are taken out. At which point you have a nice tight image and can start making some steals to recover the lost chips.

And 1seednoir1, thanks for reply, I now realise I shouldve really posted these messages in the blog section too. Ill have a butchers (look) at yours and see how you did.

Thanks for reading

CHRIS
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Ahh just another quick point I play SINGLE TABLE SnGs 9 or 10 max

Also - ADMIN? Can you bump these posts into the Blog section ?

Thanks
      CHRIS
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      good luck with the challenge, i also started with $5 on pokerstars
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Thanks very much alejandrosh. Maybe ill see you at the tables trying a similar challenge.

To all - Ill be playing again tonight to see if I can improve a little more on my bankroll ill post the results tomorrow.

Last night I played a live SnG with my poker mates round a kitchen table. It was a £10 buy-in with unlimted £5 rebuys for the first two hours. Between eight players we managed a reasonable £200, and it was decided to split that 4 ways. I wanted it split top three only, but I was out-voted.
      The payout was 1st - £80, 2nd - £50, 3rd - £40, 4th - £30

I realised that most of the people I play with live, are only really as good as those who play micro limit SnGs online. They are fishy and chase everything, they wont lay hands down and play the widest range you could imagine. They call preflop raises with junk like K5o and also re-re raise preflop with hands like J10. I thought it would be like taking candy from a baby. But it wasnt.. lol

I came third, after buying in for £25, which isnt too bad I suppose. I mean at least I profited, but I feel I had some chances to do a bit better. Ahh well, we live and learn.

Im also thinking about joining the local pub poker circuit to get some more live experience. If anyone else knows much about this circuit, give me a shout. Id like to hear what its like.

All the best
      CHRIS
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Morning readers.

BANKROLL - $11.51
      ROI - 8% after 71 SnGs

I didnt play many SnGs over the weekend, infact I played only 6 but I managed to cash in 5. I have pushed my bankroll to a new high and hopefully ill be able to push on from here.

My luck was in and my hands held up for once. I did get beat by a few 70/30 suck outs but they were only to the short stacks who I was attacking. For example AK against AJ, QQ against AT, that kind of thing.
      Ill take those odds all day long, but sometimes it just seems that PStars (and Full Tilt actually) take pity on the worst hand and let it win more often than it should.

Or maybe im just being synical?!
      :-)
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      yeah sometimes when variance hit, it's hard to get away from it. But you need to keep your head outta the water and keep going. That was my major mistake. I've lost half of my bankroll doing things I wasn't suppose to do. Like playing MTT while I should focus on FL. Anyway just know that the hardest part in grinding is to built A STRONG MIND. Meaning that you have wake up after a fall, keep ur head up during bad runs and always think about your mistakes, so you won't do them again. This game is about making the smallest mistakes u can while taking advantage of other player's mistakes.
      I'm the one telling you all that, but I cannot apply them myself at 100%.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Nastypasty,

GL with the poker. ;) Seems like your doing well, keep it up!

Moved to blog section for you ;)

Regards,
      Stiev
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Woo, thanks Stiev.

Also seed, thats really good advice. I am quite a fiery character and impulsive at times, so bad beats can rile me temporarily. The red mist has always been a killler for me, but I am learning to cope, I am learning to deal with them more. Maybe its because I am just getting more beats at this level, and have to get used to it. :P
      NOTE TO SELF: Read the psychology articles

Im happy with my SnG strategy and its working ok I guess at the moment. I am discovering a few leaks though. I mean I am starting to limp too much in the early stages of a tournament with marginal hands. Dont get me wrong, I know its bad, but everyone else does it, so I choose good positions and limp too.
      I guess I talk myself into seeing a flop so I can try to outplay/bluff the beginners after the flop and take the pot away from them. But in practice bluffing these guys is pointless because they just dont fold anything unless they have air. They wont fold top pair bad kicker, or middle pair good kicker, overcards, gut shots, pocket pairs, I mean they just dont know when they are beat. They dont even think about what I could be holding. Bluffing them is a sure fire way to lose my chips. I suppose my view is I am looking to hit the flop pretty hard for cheap and draw in the beginners... Sometimes it works, but most of the time I hit nothing and fold. I reckon ive lost more than ive won doing this.

So I am sure its a big leak?
      Just a thought
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Nastypasty

Haven't heard from you in a couple of days. I was starting to think you busted out. I guess you haven't.

As for strategy. I only play premium hands in the first few levels. Also limping with pairs in late position. I wanna be around for the push or fold stage. I start to attack later on when the blinds and antes get up there.

I've kinda abandoned the $1 stt's for now and moved on to the NL10 cash tables. But I seem to be making more money there now.

Don't try and outplay or bluff your opponents. This is a low limit stt with lots of bad players. You don't want to waste too many of your chips in the early going. Your goal is to survive to the late stages, win a race and make the money. Good luck to you. How are things with the stt's going for you lately?

Matt.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Busted out? Never!! :D

I have actually had a bit of a nightmare over the last few days. Not with poker but with a burst pipe in my house. I havent had any hot water or heating since last sunday, so I have been living with a couple of friends for the past 9 days or so. The problem being, they dont have internet, so I couldnt play poker. I had to drive over to mine and sit in a freezing cold room for a couple of hours if I wanted to play. So of course, I didnt play very much at all.

But the house is all fixed up again now, pipe fixed, water working, heating on, and internet ready to use, wooo!! So im gonna try some more later, so what happens.

Ill keep you posted

Also Straddler, hows your bankroll after the switch. Are you still on Stars?
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Nastypasty

Sorry to hear about your house, hope everything is alright for you now. Yes Im still on stars. I've only played 595 hands on the cash tables so far. I've won +$7.40, 12.44bb/100. Very fishy on there. Br hit the $20 mark today. Bad brm I know but I have a little bit of breathing room now. Good luck with the stt's. I usually update daily in my blog, check it out leave a comment.

matt.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Well, cutting a long story short, I am doing terribly bad at the moment. Infact I am close to busting out. I have about 1 buy-in left and its not pretty.

I have been on a horrible 9 buyin downswing from $11. Mainly bubble suck-outs, general bad beats, lost flips and a couple of losses through bad ICM play.

I am still in there, but im hanging on by a thread.

I will explain more when I have looked at the stats but I think its a good demonstration of why BRM is so important to protect you from variance.

I really hate poker sometimes!!
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      with 10 dollars you can play the 0.1 dollar 360 man mtt sng
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Thats actually a very good idea. Thank you.

I may need to brush up on MTT strategy, im used to the single table style.

I might have a browse on the forum to see if there is anything I can read up on to prepare.
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Play late position most of the time. Only play AK+ JJ+ from UTG... fold AQo- to a raise from early position players. Don't often call UTG bets... don't limp except for small PP late mid position (if first in at late position, you bet). Bet your medium hands or fold them. U can sometimes limp monsters UTG in the bubble if there is alot of action at your table. Push or fold using the push or fold chart from 15BB.
      Come to the IRC if you have hard time with this... I might help if I have time
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for the tips, I will follow these.

Originally posted by 1seednoir1
      Come to the IRC if you have hard time with this... I might help if I have time
      One thing though, can you let me know what IRC is please?

CHRIS
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Here you go: How to join the PokerStrategy IRC channel