Setting goals

• 12 replies
    • hov100
      hov100
      Bronze
      I never set profit goals. Before, i used to set volume goals. It always bummed me out when i didn't complete them, used to set them too high.

Recently i set hourly goals, how many hours i want to play a month and that works pretty well for me.
      You just gotta see what works best for you. I set tons of goals, in and out of poker, usually reviewing them at the end of the month.

You'll probably never achieve all goals you set, so you shouldn't see failed goals as something bad, rather a minor step back.
      So it's best to look at them as not goals but targets. Sometimes you are gonna hit, sometimes you are gonna miss. That's life, just review the reasons why you missed.
    • paulie2sups
      paulie2sups
      Bronze
      setting goals puts more pressure on so i try to avoid it
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      I must admit that I set a yearly profit goal, but it is so low, I can't fail LOL
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Hi, where did you find that it's bad to set volume goals?
    • Rumpalipoika
      Rumpalipoika
      Bronze
      http://www.pokernews.com/strategy/five-common-mistakes-when-setting-poker-goals-19781.htm
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      I have set my goal to the 10k hands/month for a year now and don't remember have i ever actually achieve it.. :)
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      How to set poker goals:
      1)Decide you want to crush. -and you never go back on a made decision
      2)Ask yourself, how are you going to crush?
      3)Outwork the competition (off table study + solid nr of hours/every day - no days off)
      4)Define at what limit do you want to find your self at the end of next year.
      5)Actually crush every limit until you get where you want to get.

2016 - set a higher limit , repeat 1-5 ;)
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Hi, it's been a while since I checked the thread but was able to read the article and catch up on this. Anyway the writer of the article tries to condense goal setting into a really short article, which is impossible to do with such a complex topic as goal setting because it depends. He also focuses on what doesn't work but doesn't necessarily tell you why or how to fix it. I don't have the time nor the motivation to write out my own article and there is a lot of info out there on this if you just search but I will try to simplify it for you. Think of it as a work project ( I have never actually had a job) but anyway, you start with a task, there is a plan for how the task is achieved, sometimes in companies people are each assigned a certain task or work as a team, then weekly or monthly the progress is re-evaluated, if they figure out the system is not working, people get fired, people get yelled at etc, then they try again and eventually the company makes damn sure it reaches it's goal or it goes out of business. Now let's translate that into poker.

What he is saying in the article is many people will make a goal like I'm playing 50nl, I want to reach 500nl by the end of the year and I agree that's not that good. You have to break it down. For example, My current BR=x, my current winrate=y, what is my life situation? How much time do I have? So then you would break it down I need to play 100k hands, on avg per session I expect to get y hands, do some math figure out how long before you get to 100nl given your assumptions. In order to figure out what times are available for you to grind you will have to write out your schedule and see where the free blocks are. If you are a poker pro, well you get to make your own schedule. And a lot of people say wtf is the point of a schedule if I'm a poker pro, I became a pro for the freedom. You don't have to follow the schedule second for second, sometimes you will have to change your day around for whatever reason, but it gives structure and organization to your every day life so you don't get anxiety of having a big list of things to do. Anyway once you figure out your goal and a way to tackle that, you need to set an evaluation day, whether it's daily, weekly, or monthly depends on the person, I would say cant go wrong with weekly especially when you are first starting out. So you get to the end of the first month, you see that you actually played 50% of hands that you planned because you spent too much time on facebook, now you need to figure out a plan to fix this before you can continue otherwise the next 30 days won't be any better, if you get to 90% and didn't make it all the way because for some reason your family was visiting or w/e then it's fine to continue with what you are doing. It's for you to evaluate. A lot of people work better on high confidence, momentum, etc that's why it's important to set easy short term goals, crush them, set mid term goals, crush them, and keep moving towards that final end boss. Short term goals could be daily, mid term goals could be 1-2 weeks 1 month etc, long term goals several months, 1 year, several years.

The process is set goals (short, mid, long term), make a plan for how to achieve, evaluate progress frequently, if you find something wrong during evaluation fix it, this may happen more than once, stay patient and persistent. Also something I learned is that you should try to change your habits early in the day instead of late at night. A lot of people fail at goals they make because they don't have a plan, something stops them and they don't know how to fix it, or they are just unrealistic and think they can get there in one day. That's why so many of these bullshit marketing tricks work on people. Anyway I'm running out of time and energy. I'm sorry my writing is a little sloppy as I'm not great at writing and explaining myself but hopefully this can help. I also try to make some posts about self improvement in my blog so feel free to check that out. Also check out Primoz's articles, he does quite a good job of explaining everything.

Oh and you can use this process for literally anything, poker, working out, getting a gf w/e.
      If you have any questions, please free to contact me via pm or post here.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Originally posted by serverm07
      Hi, it's been a while since I checked the thread but was able to read the article and catch up on this. Anyway the writer of the article tries to condense goal setting into a really short article, which is impossible to do with such a complex topic as goal setting because it depends. He also focuses on what doesn't work but doesn't necessarily tell you why or how to fix it. I don't have the time nor the motivation to write out my own article and there is a lot of info out there on this if you just search but I will try to simplify it for you. Think of it as a work project ( I have never actually had a job) but anyway, you start with a task, there is a plan for how the task is achieved, sometimes in companies people are each assigned a certain task or work as a team, then weekly or monthly the progress is re-evaluated, if they figure out the system is not working, people get fired, people get yelled at etc, then they try again and eventually the company makes damn sure it reaches it's goal or it goes out of business. Now let's translate that into poker.

What he is saying in the article is many people will make a goal like I'm playing 50nl, I want to reach 500nl by the end of the year and I agree that's not that good. You have to break it down. For example, My current BR=x, my current winrate=y, what is my life situation? How much time do I have? So then you would break it down I need to play 100k hands, on avg per session I expect to get y hands, do some math figure out how long before you get to 100nl given your assumptions. In order to figure out what times are available for you to grind you will have to write out your schedule and see where the free blocks are. If you are a poker pro, well you get to make your own schedule. And a lot of people say wtf is the point of a schedule if I'm a poker pro, I became a pro for the freedom. You don't have to follow the schedule second for second, sometimes you will have to change your day around for whatever reason, but it gives structure and organization to your every day life so you don't get anxiety of having a big list of things to do. Anyway once you figure out your goal and a way to tackle that, you need to set an evaluation day, whether it's daily, weekly, or monthly depends on the person, I would say cant go wrong with weekly especially when you are first starting out. So you get to the end of the first month, you see that you actually played 50% of hands that you planned because you spent too much time on facebook, now you need to figure out a plan to fix this before you can continue otherwise the next 30 days won't be any better, if you get to 90% and didn't make it all the way because for some reason your family was visiting or w/e then it's fine to continue with what you are doing. It's for you to evaluate. A lot of people work better on high confidence, momentum, etc that's why it's important to set easy short term goals, crush them, set mid term goals, crush them, and keep moving towards that final end boss. Short term goals could be daily, mid term goals could be 1-2 weeks 1 month etc, long term goals several months, 1 year, several years.

The process is set goals (short, mid, long term), make a plan for how to achieve, evaluate progress frequently, if you find something wrong during evaluation fix it, this may happen more than once, stay patient and persistent. Also something I learned is that you should try to change your habits early in the day instead of late at night. A lot of people fail at goals they make because they don't have a plan, something stops them and they don't know how to fix it, or they are just unrealistic and think they can get there in one day. That's why so many of these bullshit marketing tricks work on people. Anyway I'm running out of time and energy. I'm sorry my writing is a little sloppy as I'm not great at writing and explaining myself but hopefully this can help. I also try to make some posts about self improvement in my blog so feel free to check that out. Also check out Primoz's articles, he does quite a good job of explaining everything.

Oh and you can use this process for literally anything, poker, working out, getting a gf w/e.
      If you have any questions, please free to contact me via pm or post here.
      :sfishy: :appl:
    • Rumpalipoika
      Rumpalipoika
      Bronze
      Thanks serverm07 for your post. I think that was very informative and not sloppy at all.
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      serverm07 :f_thumbsup: - you explained pretty clearly what most be done ;)

My short post was for fun OFC and it's not that simple... the main idea of it was that you should make a decision and stick by it if you want to get somewhere and never lose track of the big picture... regardless what crap you get along the way. :)
    • luckydont
      luckydont
      Gold
      PokerWarmUp.com offers a so called SMART Goal checker, which is basically a step by step process during which you asking yourself questions about the goal and then you edit it accordingly. + multiple repetition is the KEY. Setting a perfect Goal and then forget about it in couple days with no further result does no good. You need always have you Goals in the forefront of you Mind, so that both conscious and subconscious work hard to achieve it.