My road to mid-stakes

• kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Hi!

I am 24 years old guy from Finland. I have been now playing no limit holdem for about five years. During these five years 6-max NL25-NL50 has became my main game, but I also occasionally play tournaments. Funny thing is that I have actually made a lot more money from tournaments than from cash games :D . However thats enough about my poker history.

I decided to start write a blog, because I have not achieved the results I was hoping for in poker. I hope this blog helps me to keep my motivation up and improve my game. If anyone else is playig at the same limits feel free to contact. It would be great to get know people struggling with same things than me. At the moment I am 4-tabling ZOOM NL25, but I am hoping to get enough bankroll to move NL50 at the end of the year or in Januar.

So for the rest of they year I have set the following goals for myself:

- Maintain gold status in pokerstars (approximately 1 hour of play per day)
      - Watch one cash games video in week
      - Watch one tournament video in week
      - update blog atleast once a week

At the moment my bankroll in Pokerstars is 1297,21 dollars. I plan to move NL50 as soon as I get 30 buyins for the level. So for NL50 I need 1500d bankroll. If my bankroll happens to go under 20 buyins at NL50 level I move back to NL25 (under 1000 dollar in this case). However for the rest of the year I may not even start to play NL50 if I achieve my bankroll goal for NL50.

So hopefully I can start to grind year 2015 at NL50 so it is possible for me to achieve supernova. According to my calculations I would need to play almost 3 hours per day to achieve supernova 4-tabling ZOOM at NL25. Three hours per day is too much and I am certain I wouldn't be able to do that for one whole year. Usually playing too much makes poker feel more of a job and takes the fun out of it. I also start to play worse and my motivation goes down when I feel that I am froced to play even if I dont feel like it at all.
      In Januar I will set new and more specific goals for 2015 so that I will be able to achieve supernova during 2015.
  • 28 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi kikapo and welcome to blogs!

I too had ambitions to try for supernova next year, but alas that seems a long way off now after getting crushed on the tables. :(

However, I expect you'll be able to do it, so I'll be waiting for some nice positive updates when you start! :s_thumbsup:

Good luck for now!

Mal.
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Thanks

I hope you will also get your bankroll in shape before 2015 so maybe we can grind supernova together :)
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Project is proceeding into right direction.

Bankroll: 1496,63 dollars

I have now sligthly over 2000VPs for the month so I should be able to maintain Gold status for the month.
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Maybe we can challenge each other next year! Gl with that :)
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gAsheks
      Maybe we can challenge each other next year! Gl with that :)
      Sounds good :)
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Good luck with your project. One positive side for playing as hobby is that you can take time off from tables quite easily. For professional player it's much harder choise. In your shoes I would not get overly concerned about reaching sn goal next year. Just focus on improving your game and results will follow. If thing proceed decently supernova will come on the side. Then later in the year you can push for more volume if goal seem reachable. Taking too much pressure early in the year from volume side can work as a weight on your mental side.

Personally racing against clock with my sne goal this year and it sure has not been easy :)

- Fellow Finnish player.
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      Good luck with your project. One positive side for playing as hobby is that you can take time off from tables quite easily. For professional player it's much harder choise. In your shoes I would not get overly concerned about reaching sn goal next year. Just focus on improving your game and results will follow. If thing proceed decently supernova will come on the side. Then later in the year you can push for more volume if goal seem reachable. Taking too much pressure early in the year from volume side can work as a weight on your mental side.

Personally racing against clock with my sne goal this year and it sure has not been easy :)

- Fellow Finnish player.
      Sounds like good advices. Thanks.

Bankroll: 1613,36

I probably will try to put more volume at the beginning of december, because I am not able to play that much at christmas. In addition to that I have time until december 7th to clear my spin and go bonus and to clear it fully I need 1800VPPs more.
    • Exposedd
      Exposedd
      Bronze
      Interesting :) will follow :)
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      More or less playing same limits, subscribed and GL! :f_thumbsup:
    • Prodigy237
      Prodigy237
      Bronze
      Sounds like a plan... GL with your project & for 2015. :f_thumbsup:
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Time for weekly update

Bankroll: 1609,05 dollars

My 3bet is about 5,3 at the moment and it is probably too small. So I try to focus on increasing it to 6,0 at first. As I get more confident i will probably try to focus increasing it even more, but for now I will aim for 6,0.
      I also decided that I will start to post hand histories at least once a week and hopefully I get some feedback from fellow players. I haven't really posted hand histories before, but I would guess it is an effective way to learn. However I will not start posting hand histories before 2015.
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Managed to get some major bankroll boost couple of days ago :D

I probably withdraw most of my winnings, but I can definitely start to play NL50 from the beginning of Januar. I maybe leave something like 2500-3000 dollars to my pstars account.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      haha sweet, congratz :)
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Just achieved gold status for the month. I am now taking break from the cash games for the rest of the year. However I try to improve my poker game during Christmas by studying the game. I especially try to focus more on the mathematical side, because I have really never paid much attention towards it.

So in January I will start to grind NL50 Zoom with a bankroll of 2500 dollars. I will also set more specific goals for the year 2015 in January.
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      Goals for 2015

Hopefully I will be able to achieve supernova during this year, but I am not going to focus too much on achieving it. In general I just want to improve my game and move up stakes, which will naturally help me to achieve supernova eventually. However I will set here some more specific goals mostly for motivational purposes.

- Approximately play atleast 1 hour a day
      - Watch one cash games video in week
      - Watch one tournament video in week
      - Update blog atleast once a week, post hands for review and post monthly results graph
      - Spend atleast 2 hours a week studying (videos excluded)

I won't be able to put on much volume on January because I need to work on my master thesis and exams, but achieving gold status shouldn't be a problem.

Bankroll: 2500 dollars
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      GL :)
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      I decided I am going for Platinum on Pokerstars this month and try to achieve it monthly from here on. This requires approximately 2 hours of play each day. I also start to post my total VPP count so it's easier for you to follow my progress towards supernova.

SUPERNOVA VPPs: 2248 / 100 000
    • kikapo
      kikapo
      Bronze
      I should be able to achive Platinum this month, unless something unexpected happens.
      I also try to start post hands when I have more time to update this blog. Especially hands I am struggling with.

SUPERNOVA VPPs: 4333 / 100 00
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Good luck with the thesis and exams!

Looks like you're heading in the right direction for Supernova to. Win win! :s_thumbsup:

Have fun,

Mal.