What to do?

• Bullettooth12
      Bullettooth12
      Bronze
      It was late on in a tourney last night an I found myself totally card dead. It was a turbo so blinds were going up fast, I was sitting there not getting anything at all even remotely playable and when I did have something I could shove and steal with, people were getting it in before me.
      Anyway I ended up having 5bb's left, because of this awful situation I found myself in, in the bb with JJ and got sucked out on by 22 (runner runner for the straight)
      I'm just wondering how could you go about avoiding this situation? Do you take a risk earlier by calling some all ins with something not very good or do you just have to wait it out and hope you get a hand before getting so low that anyone is going to call you?
      Thanks for reading.
  • 9 replies
    • Bullettooth12
      Bullettooth12
      Bronze
      I just have to say that this hasn't really happened to me before I don't think. I've either been well above 10-15 bb's or I've gone out, trying to steal the blinds and ante's when I have got the opportunities to.
      It was a very strange situation!
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey Bullettooth12 =)

The situation you describe is not uncommon. Still, you will need to find spots to get your chips in profitably.
      Blinding down to 5BB isn't a good option and shouldn't normally happen.

That might indicate, that your calling ranges as well as your pushing ranges are a bit too tight.
      You might be able to improve those ranges by comparing them to the ones I recommended in my mtt beginner course:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=314586]

On the other hand it might just have been really bad luck due to variance so it won't happen again very soon.
      Sometimes it just happens and there is nothing you can do.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Bullettooth12
      Bullettooth12
      Bronze
      Thanks for that Asaban.
      I think I definitely need to work on my calling ranges, I've never been overly certain what I should be calling all ins with. Probably the same goes for my shoving ranges but I think those are pretty wide.
      I will have a look at your link and get working on it. Thanks again I really appreciate it.
    • lando1
      lando1
      Basic
      I think you should not necesserily avoid such a situation. Yes you can call all ins with weaker hands, but often this is the end. And you were all in with the better hand - that is allright.
    • MacauChris
      MacauChris
      Basic
      Bullettooth, in my opinion by the time you realize this situation is happening it is already too late. In my opinion, being "card dead" is something only you know. Other players have no idea or might even be in the same boat as you. It is a label you give to yourself. If I see that you are folding many hands in a row and then suddenly shoving I know you probably have strong hand this round.
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      there is nothig you can do when you are card dead, you can force chips to you but sooner or later that suckout Will come....so dont expect you Will thrive in every tourney you register for orget all the best cards that Will hold, artificial variance is something you cant avoid....just pu in the volume and dont be to tight in tourneys as if you are you Will almost never go deep.
    • Bullettooth12
      Bullettooth12
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys.
      I think I have learned quite a lot in a short space of time with the help of Asaban's thread. I have managed to cash in the four tourneys I've played in so far (been playing mostly cash games) I got a 6th, 15th, 28th and 30th. Obviously I can't keep a 100% ITM rate going but hopefully, with what I have learned, I will get a few final tables and a nice win.
      Good luck all and thanks again :f_drink:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Good to hear that it helped =)
      Be aware, that your results won't hold up. 15% ITM is realistic.
      Therefore, in order to score decent results, you should play way more tournaments in the long run.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Bullettooth12
      Bullettooth12
      Bronze
      Nah, I'm all too familiar with the concept of not cashing in tournaments very often haha.
      ATM I'm just trying to clear my deposit bonus so I'm concentrating on speed poker. It wasn't going well at first but I'm back on track now and with the help of the bonus I'm up :f_biggrin:
      After my bonus is cleared I will be playing a lot more mtt's.
      I'm currently in a $500 guaranteed early doors.