How can I profit in poker

• Andreyqo
      Andreyqo
      Bronze
      Hi

I play poker for sometime now, but I have always played with Play Chips, but now I'm starting to play with real money. My winnings % dropped considerably from play chips to real money (cash game,microstakes, NL2) and I'm actually losing money now.

My goal is to profit 3 dollars/h with poker, investing about 4h a day. I have read many articles, but I still don't know what limits should I play and with what rate of success to achieve my goal.

I know I need to beat NL2 to start chasing my goal. I have read a lot of articles at Poker Strategy, but I still struggle to win microstakes. With that said, I have some questions:

- What should I study/review to beat NL2?
      - What limit should I play to profit $3/h? (Considering good bankroll magement)
      - Any other suggestion/tips for me?

Thanks in advance :f_grin:
  • 14 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      the level of play at play chips doesnt even compare to real money

1) basics of preflop and flop play
      2) nl10 is enough, even lower if you really play a whole lot of tables
      3) idk
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      I say that your immidiate goal is to not lose. If you dont learn to love the game as it is I dont think you´ll ever learn to win.

I cant see that there is an better advice than to go through the strategy lessons.
    • Juglinjugglo
      Juglinjugglo
      Bronze
      learning to be TAG
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      As Juglinjugglo says playing TAG is the way to go.

One major important thing to consider is also the mental side and controlling tilt. Your going to be playing disciplined and seriously while there will be a lot of players at the table just there for a laugh. They will make some crazy plays and sometimes they will hit.
    • xMars
      xMars
      Bronze
      your focus shouldnt be some hourly winrate. your focus should be to learn how to play poker. and sorry, no playmoney doesnt count
    • mendiolacubicle
      mendiolacubicle
      Bronze
      Play chips games are at a different level compared to real cash games, I would suggest refreshing yourself with the basics of NLHE by checking the lessons here in PS.

For an immediate reply to your question "Small hands = small pots, Big hands = bigpots" 😊
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Andreyqo
      I play poker for sometime now, but I have always played with Play Chips, but now I'm starting to play with real money. My winnings % dropped considerably from play chips to real money (cash game,microstakes, NL2) and I'm actually losing money now.
      Hi, Andreyqo,
      As others have mentioned, this is not surprising.
      With play chips, players often play "bingo" -- just shove and hope to win.

Before I found PokerStrategy.com I told myself I would switch to real money when I had 100K play chips.
      I then struggled with NL 2 until I found PokerStrategy.com.
      The games and the people are quite different.

Originally posted by Andreyqo
      - What should I study/review to beat NL2?
      - What limit should I play to profit $3/h? (Considering good bankroll magement)
      - Any other suggestion/tips for me?
      I suggest that you open this strategy article:
      No Limit Hold'em lessons overview.
      In there you will find a sensible, logical progression of articles. I also suggest that you read all the articles even if -- or especially if -- you know that material already.

Start playing NL 2 as soon as you have read the first 3 articles -- the recommendations for sound Bankroll Management are in those articles, so no need to repeat it here.

If you're still struggling, and money is an issue, feel free to practice with play chips. I still do sometimes.
      Once you're read those articles, continue reading and applying what you learn to NL 2. When your bankroll allows it, move up.

Let's worry about $3/hr once you're comfortable playing in profit. :s_biggrin:

Also, I suggest starting a blog. In there you can keep the other members informed of your progress, but more importantly, it gives you a chance to review your progress. You can also post hands that are interesting or puzzling.

For the real stumpers, post those hands in the Hand Evaluation forum or in the hand discussion forum

Best of luck,
      VS
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi again, Andreyqo
      And after all that, this appeared in today's news:
      A modern guide to playing the microstakes

This sounds like it was designed just for your situation -- go for it!

All the best,
      VS
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi again, Andreyqo

All the best,
      VS

Weazel is great! watched some of his videos todays

One thing I would recommend you learn at a very early stage of your poker career is to be patient and don't get married to your big pocket pairs!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by maythany
      One thing I would recommend you learn at a very early stage of your poker career is to be patient and don't get married to your big pocket pairs!
      You mean like this? :s_cry:
      Full Tilt - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): $8.99
      BB: $4.94 (VPIP: 31.48, PFR: 12.96, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 55)
      UTG: $2.83 (VPIP: 20.91, PFR: 12.96, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 115)
      MP: $12.05 (VPIP: 16.02, PFR: 11.17, 3Bet Preflop: 1.43, Hands: 215)
      CO: $5.62 (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
      BTN: $7.55 (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 19)

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:club: K:diamond:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.15, UTG calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.60, 3 players) 5:spade: J:diamond: 7:diamond:
      Hero bets $0.36, BB raises to $0.72, fold, Hero calls $0.36

Turn: ($2.04, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.22, Hero calls $1.22

River: ($4.48, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero checks, BB checks

BB shows 5:heart: 5:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Fives)
      (Pre 20%, Flop 87%, Turn 77%)
      Hero mucks K:club: K:diamond: (One Pair, Kings)
      (Pre 80%, Flop 13%, Turn 23%)
      BB wins $4.26

I was prepared to fold to a big river bet because there are straights and flushes out there.
      I doubt if a river bluff would have succeeded...

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Andreyqo
      Andreyqo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi again, Andreyqo

All the best,
      VS
      Hi, thanks a lot for all the tips :f_biggrin:

Got very curious about the video, unfortunately I'm just bronze, and I can't move to Silver soon if I can't profit in NL2 :f_frown:
      Will try my best using the strategies from PS, after all, I've just started with real money, so I need more experience in tables to get better, I hope!
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      I found this rule to work wonders in my game. Big hands big pots little hands little pots. AA facing a raised cbet on the flop with the board 8h 9h 10h is a little hand. Learning to fold in these situations is crucial to your success. Any marginal situations just fold because there are some many other situations were you will have your opponent dominated. This is only for NL2 though. I would not suggest this for nl50 were fighting for marginal edges is probably required to succeed. If you simply break even on your one paired hands all the other hands like trips, sets, straight, flush etc will give you a nice win rate.
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      W34z3ls walktrough is aimed at 6max. I do think it its easier to learn to win on fullring. At least I made really good at fullring but I find 6max so much more fun to play. But I have to struggle to keep me on the plus side.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Svinhugg
      W34z3ls walktrough is aimed at 6max. I do think it its easier to learn to win on fullring. At least I made really good at fullring but I find 6max so much more fun to play. But I have to struggle to keep me on the plus side.
      Hi, Svinhugg,
      When I started playing online poker, FR was the norm. It made sense to learn the most common game.
      Now there are far more "short handed" tables than Full Ring ones.

The biggest difference I find though is people open much, much wider than they did even 5 years ago, and open raise 3BB

Best of luck to all,
      VS