SHC and VPIP

• 666zeus666
      666zeus666
      Bronze
      Hello people!

Hope somebody can help me here: I have been using pokerstrategy starting hands chart for a while (Full Ring NL2) and there is something that troubles me quite a bit, the problem I see with the ranges recommended is that they are not very tight, but excessively tight, and you end up playing just a few hands, (8% VPIP or even less), because you have to fold many playable hands when there is a raise in front of you. Can somebody help me understand this? Is that extremely low VPIP what is really recommended? Am I missing something? Is there another SHC that its not so tight and that I could use as a starting point to build my own?

I know that SHCs must not be considered like gospel but I would like to have a reasonable one (one that gives me something like 15% VPIP average) just for reference.

Thank You!
  • 2 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there 666zeus666,

The strating hand chart (SHC) as you so rightly point out, has tight ranges. The chart is essentially a starting point for beginning players and helps protect them - as much as is possible - from getting into too much trouble at the beginning of their poker journey while they learn. Later, they can be adapted or laid aside entirely of course.

Have you downloaded the free Equilab yet from our own Poker Tools page? It has suggested opening ranges for both full ring and short handed games and shows the % of hands for each psoition. It's also the most brilliant tool for studying as well don't forget!

The idea of these charts isn't to give a definitive set in stone list of ranges, but to give starting ranges, players can and should, adapt as they grow in confidence and ability to each player and situation they encounter. Eventually, as I mentioned earlier, the basic charts often get discarded.

I hope that makes sense, if not just ask. :)

Regards,

Mal.
    • 666zeus666
      666zeus666
      Bronze
      I have equilab but I did not realize there were starting hand suggestions over there. Very nice! Thank you!