Intro

• sooley570
      sooley570
      Bronze
      My name is Ben I live on the east coast of Canada in Halifax .

Just thought I would say hi in here before venturing off onto the other forums

I have had a PokerStrategy account for a couple years now but haven't done too much with it (except burn through the free $50 at party poker very quickly :s_ugly: ) But that was a couple years ago and I have improved since then and would like to start taking the variant i have chosen to focus on more seriously (SnGs primarily)

However, my profile picture was taken of me just this afternoon so maybe I have not improved as much as I would like to of :f_biggrin:

That is where I am hoping the kind PS people will step in and give me some pointers once I get a little bit of a presence on some of the other forums.

Grind to the top begins.

Day 1 of (hopefully) many
  • 8 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Ben
      Welcome from Canada's Wet Coast.

For SnGs this is the place to start:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/2362/1/
      The seven steps are well laid out and easy to follow.
      Some of the articles have associated videos, but you can always go to the video section and search for the topic by name, if that's your preferred way to learn.

Don't neglect the coaching sessions. The timing is often awkward for Canucks though. I find the coaching sessions are held when I'm at work or asleep -- or both :s_biggrin:

Best of luck,
      VS
    • sooley570
      sooley570
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome!

The link is also incredibly helpful and appreciated :f_grin:

Is there anyway around having my hands tracked to upgrade my status besides purchasing or creating an account on another platform? I assume not but it would be nice to know because I created my pokerstars account before I signed up here
    • sooley570
      sooley570
      Bronze
      as for coaching I have already looked into private sessions with someone from the site :s_cool:
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hey Ben, welcome from your neighbor next door (New Brunswick). I'm a SnG player as well.

This is a great site with tons of information to get you on your way. Don't try to learn too much too fast, take time to absorb it. Join some study groups, read some blogs and post hands.
    • sooley570
      sooley570
      Bronze
      Thanks Ramble! I sent you a friend request. Some of the more basic SnG teachings I am familiar with already from other sites and books I have read.

I play ALOT live .. well for the past couple weeks not so much but in the months preceding that I would grind cash games ... well all day everyday lol with a few tournaments a week thrown in.

I have played many thousands of SnGs as well and have had some good runs but ultimately lack of structure about my playing schedule and BRM always have gotten the best of me (as well as a few possible leaks:f_rolleyes: ). I do still have LOTS to learn to get to the level of understanding I need to be at in order to crush these games but I am eager. I'll follow your blog and who knows maybe even get my own up and running soon.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by sooley570
      Is there anyway around having my hands tracked to upgrade my status besides purchasing or creating an account on another platform? I assume not but it would be nice to know because I created my pokerstars account before I signed up here
      Hi, sooley570,
      At the moment, no. As you've noticed, you can play in a tracked room, or Buy a Status. I suggest that you exhaust the material at bronze level first.

From time to time there are promos where you can gain instant status upgrades for various things.
      At that point it would be worth signing up for a new room and depositing. You then have a tracked room.

Once you get that silver, gold or whatever status, go nuts on the articles.

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Gam3rONGOING
      Gam3rONGOING
      Silver
      Hi Ben:

Glad to see someone from my home town. You beat me to a friend request, which is accepted. Yeah this site is fantastic. Some great people here who are more than willing to help. Some great tips offered above. One you may want to follow up on, is the great poker site bonuses offered through Pokerstrategy. This will give you an immediate point boost up the levels.

Best of luck
      Gam3rONGOING
    • StandardBacking
      StandardBacking
      Bronze
      Hey, Welcome to PS! Good Luck at the Tables :f_drink: