Preflop bias with all in

• 10uss
      10uss
      Basic
      Hello i'm new at this forum, but I have an interesting question and I hope some of you can help me. In SNG and also Tournaments, there is always a point were you need to go all in. And of course you want to have high hands (A, K, Q, J and T are favorite). But as everybody knows, sometimes you miss the flop. That is not a problem at all because you have a high hand. But some players are going all in with something link 45o or 23s, something in that ranges and still win the pot against AJS or something like that. At first I was thinking that is a fish. But now I am thinking is't not a strategy? Because the chance you hit a pair, two pair, street, fullhouse or flush street wit 23s is equal to AKs. The only advantage with AKs you have a high card (if both miss the flop, turn and river) and also with pairs and streets, AKs has the higher combination. Is't not that sometimes AKs is to much biased against 23s? It's an idea from the stock market. I give an example; people keep buying the shares of company A (in poker is that AKs), because it's a promising company (biased in a positive way) and there is also that loosy company B (in poker is that 23s) (biased in a negative way). After 5 years the prospect of company plundered down (with poker are this the 5 card 243A3) and it's bankrupt (AKs is lost the pot) but company B doubled his market value (23s is the winner of the pot). So because the player puts all his money on AKs (the positive biases) he lost everything. In the stock market you can make money on to positive biased shares with trackers, options, futures and derivatives, if they make a sharp drop you are a rich man. Is there also a theory in poker that works in that way (give me the name please, i'm very curious)? And if not, is my theory fault? Or is it promising? Or is't working in a limited or different way? I'm sorry for my English i'm practicing on it. I have no problems with reading English but my grammatics are horrible, so sorry. Already thanks for the help
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, 10uss,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

Yes, it is a strategy, but not a particular profitable one long term.

In tournaments, when a player is down to 1 or 2 big blinds, and the big blind is coming ever closer to them, it may be necessary to shove 23o or 45s or whatever.

At certain other stack sizes, it may be profitable to 3Bet shove with these hands if the open raiser folds a lot.

However, long term, it isn't profitable.

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    38.16%  35.07%   3.08% { 54o }
      MP3    61.84%  58.76%   3.08% { random }

As you can see from the above, versus a random hand the 45o will win slightly more than 1/3 of the time.

The table comes from Equilab which is free to download for PokerStrategy.com members.

Best of luck,
      VS
    • 10uss
      10uss
      Basic
      Thank you for the answer. It's clear now. This is a great site by the way. A lot of info and helpfull people. I'm now on school so when i am home i will take a look at Equilab.
    • JohnDiMilia
      JohnDiMilia
      Basic
      in a Tourn. you should not go much below 8-10 BB, before going all in. If your perceived as tight, they will think you have two high cards or a pair. If you play to many hands, they will perceive you as loose and call your all in more likely. You need fold equity on your side, don't go all in without a top 5% hand when the BB has the big stack, he will call with almost anything.

A pair is always good for all in, as well as connected suited cards above 5, esp. 10-J suited. Suited gains you about 3-4% win rate. Suited one gap is also pretty good. If your new to the game , read some books.