Tournament lenght

• MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      Is there a formula according to start stack, level lenght, and blind sizes, and number of total player to calculate the approx tour lenght?

If this is a stupid question, please ignore, but sometimes I would like to know for how long a tour approx would run, before signing up :-)
  • 12 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Quite easy actually. At least for standard freezeouts.
      You will need to wait until the late registration is over though:

Number of players registered * Starting stack = Total Chips in Play
      Total Chips / 40 = BB when HU is most likely reached (since players will be in HU more often then not when the average stack hits 20BB)
      Now you will have to look at the blind levels and see when the according blind level is reached (when your result matches the BB). Be aware of the 5 minute breaks every hour.

For rebuys you would need to wait until after the addons. Then you can do the same calculation using
      Number of players * Average Stack in order to get to the total chips in play.

The result is not perfect but it should get quite close to the final result if there are no deals or such.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Asaban
      Quite easy actually. At least for standard freezeouts.
      You will need to wait until the late registration is over though:

Number of players registered * Starting stack = Total Chips in Play
      Total Chips / 40 = BB when HU is most likely reached (since players will be in HU more often then not when the average stack hits 20BB)
      Now you will have to look at the blind levels and see when the according blind level is reached (when your result matches the BB). Be aware of the 5 minute breaks every hour.

For rebuys you would need to wait until after the addons. Then you can do the same calculation using
      Number of players * Average Stack in order to get to the total chips in play.

The result is not perfect but it should get quite close to the final result if there are no deals or such.

Regards,
      Asaban
      Thank you. I'll try using this one, and if it isn't working, I'll be back ;-)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Sure =)

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      Would you agree that the best result comes when rounding the BB down instead of up? I did that last night and it was only 30 minutes off. Maybe because it was only 50 players. But 30 minutes margin that's fine with me.

Thanks again :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I didn't really use it all that much. So I have no idea how to round it best in order to get the closest result.
      Since the method is kinda safe anyways it shouldn't matter too much.
      Be aware that the result gives the point in time when the headsup starts. So the longer the headsup takes the bigger is the difference.
      You can experiment with Total Chips / 30 which might be more exact.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      In the next coming weekend, I'll do some tests with /40 and /30 :)
    • VaskataBuci
      VaskataBuci
      Bronze
      For some of the big regular tournaments, you could find the last one in the lobby and to see for how long it had lasted.
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VaskataBuci
      For some of the big regular tournaments, you could find the last one in the lobby and to see for how long it had lasted.
      Not a bad idea. Poker Stars would be perfect for that :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Not a very good option unless the number of participants is very similar each day.
      The other option should be safer though.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Asaban
      Not a very good option unless the number of participants is very similar each day.
      The other option should be safer though.

Regards,
      Asaban
      No, but it could be a good way to test your formula, and to do some testing with /30 and /40, as there are a lot of tours to test it on :)
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      True =)
      However - the method itself is kinda fail proof since it's simple math.
      It can just differ due to final table deals or very early (deepstacked --> less time) or very late (shortstacked --> more time) HU play.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      First tests on Stars shows that there really isn't a / number that works with most tours, but if I use /40 I'll get a time that is longer than the tour is running, so that will do for now. That was I know it won't be longer that the result I get when I calculate it :)