Micro-Management

• MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Micro-Management: NL5 to NL50 in 2015!

This thread was initially a volume trial through December 2014 (first 20 or so posts) to see if I could put in >10k hands/week while tying down a full-time job and various other interests. Quit drinking for 2015 so plenty of Go! and I reckon I can find the volume for an ambitious goal ...

Poker goals through 2015:

:diamond: Primary: Build sufficient BR to play and beat NL50 over >100k hand sample.

:diamond: Volume:
      >10k hands/week
      >40k hands/month
      >500k hands in 2015

:diamond: BR plan:
      10BI shot at each new limit
      NL5 - $100 BR (11/01/2015)
      NL10 @ $250 (25BI)
      NL16 @ $480 (30BI)
      NL25 @ $750 (35BI)
      NL50 @ $2000 (40BI)

Need to make around 100BI collectively across the limits (none of which, I assume, I can beat yet) just to reach NL50:
      100BI = 10,000BB / hopeful win-rate of 5bb/100 = 200k hands
      this is very optimistic progress and conservative BRM so I have my work cut out

:diamond: Keep the blog
      Weekly update & goals
      Monthly update & goals

Discipline, routine and time management will be essential:
      Weekly schedule: (minus gym atm - may start that in Feb but needs more prep.)

:spade: :spade: :spade: :spade: :spade: :spade: :spade: :spade: :spade: :spade:

(Original posts - Dec 2014)

Hey, ps.com!

My 2014 poker aspirations had to be sidelined as I focused on a new job. With that under control I am considering returning to the tables (another zero-to-hero grind - NL2 onwards.) Evidently volume is very important in such a venture and in this short challenge I hope to experiment with what level of time I might be able to reliably commit to poker whilst working around the 9-5 and whether that can equate to sufficient volume. If I am going to commit to poker through 2015 then I would like to get balls deep and not just dip the tip.
      I would want to achieve:

:spade: A minimum of 10k hands per week and >40k hands per month.
      This volume for me would require a definite structure. (I would also want to find a further 20% of the time it takes to make up that volume to dedicate to study.)

:spade: Average 1k hands/hour playing 4*6max Zoom tables.
      Might sound easy but I struggle with four tables and don't hit that average hands per hour. With limited time always going to be a factor, I will need to find a comfort 4 tabling as quickly as possible.

So, the challenge, there are only 2 weeks of work remaining before Xmas shenanigans and I would like to see if the following schedule is realizable and try to judge how sustainable it might be in the New Year - Link Text...
      :rage: Can't do the damn images from Google Drive. Possible?

I would also like to push towards the 1k/hour average hands and follow the two weeks with some other targets over the hols. For now though, I have got to hit 2k hands this evening and I have barely played 3k hands since February :f_biggrin: Logged into PStar's to find a whole $17, now a mighty $40, so I'll be playing NL2...where I belong :profit:

MD
  • 55 replies
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      So, first Monday of the suggested schedule -

:spade: 2,096 Hands Played
      :heart: 911 Hands/Hr
      :diamond: +$13
      :club: swelled the coffers to a whopping $55

First 1500 odd hands were a breeze but struggled a little after a break. 2 outered twice for full stacks at the end but happy with +6BI. 900 hands/hr is a lot higher then I expected but it wasn't particularly comfortable. Timed out a fair bit when I had multiple decisions to make. Missed opening AQs from the CO. At times I felt a little rushed with river bet sizing and more marginal call downs. Getting there though and thankfully NL2 is soft enough to give up a little margin in order to learn how to multi-table and still move towards a BR for NL5.

:diamond: Tunes to grind to:diamond:
      Not usually my cuppa tea but listened to some liquid DnB and found it great to grind to.

Needless aggro defense:
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 517.5 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
      SB: 183.5 BB (VPIP: 11.76, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 6.25, Hands: 36)
      Hero (BB): 106 BB
      UTG: 99.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
      MP: 101.5 BB (VPIP: 9.30, PFR: 4.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 46)
      CO: 131.5 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:diamond: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9.5 BB, CO calls 6.5 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 2 players) 6:heart: Q:diamond: 3:diamond:
      Hero bets 15 BB, CO calls 15 BB

Turn: (49.5 BB, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero bets 33 BB, CO raises to 107 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 48.5 BB and is all-in

River: (212.5 BB, 2 players) 7:club:

Hero shows J:diamond: 8:diamond: (High Card, Ace)
      (Pre 19%, Flop 26%, Turn 16%)
      CO shows Q:club: Q:spade: (Three of a Kind, Queens)
      (Pre 81%, Flop 74%, Turn 84%)
      CO wins 205 BB

Meh, got myself into trouble here. Not sure J8s is a solid hand to 3b BBvsCO as I am so often dominated when called. Should perhaps x/f the A on the turn which is probably a bad card for me. Having bet I'm valued to call the shuv.

pfff, why you no stick it up him?
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 219 BB
      SB: 152.5 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
      BB: 103.5 BB (VPIP: 10.00, PFR: 5.00, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 22)
      UTG: 269.5 BB (VPIP: 22.58, PFR: 6.45, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
      MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
      CO: 100.5 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: Q:heart:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, SB calls 8.5 BB, BB calls 8 BB, CO calls 6 BB

Flop: (36 BB, 4 players) K:spade: A:club: 7:diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, CO bets 17 BB, Hero calls 17 BB, fold, BB calls 17 BB

Turn: (87 BB, 3 players) 2:club:
      BB checks, CO bets 42 BB, fold, fold

CO wins 84 BB

Yeah, pretty sure at this level I can jam over his turn bet but was a little anxious of BB. I think I should have found some balls and stuck it up'em. what ya think?

MD
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Put in 1k hands yesterday between work and footy as I thought I would have cinema plans this evening and wouldn't be able to put the 2k hands in I need from Wednesday night (tonight.) That went fine - though I felt a little rushed, the 1k volume window is there if I want to put it into future grinding schedules. Tonight however (Wednesday) work and football is catching up with me and I can't even think straight. No excuse not to put the volume in though ...

turns out that fatigue presents itself in my game by auto piloting every decision and calling down way too light. I have lost 500bb in about 500 hands!!! Bloody ridiculous, wasn't even aware that this was possible at NL2 :f_frown: After 5k hands at this limit I have got over cocky noting how soft it is and now think I can get 100bb in with TPTK regardless - moron.

The only positive is that this is exactly why I have started the experiment/challenge - to what extent, both quality and in quantity, am I going to be able to play poker alongside the day job?
      Anyway, I am 500 hands shy of my quota so I will at least put those in this-evening and see if awareness can switch the light on.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by MasochisticDesire
      ... to what extent, both quality and in quantity, am I going to be able to play poker alongside the day job?
      Hi, MasochisticDesire,
      Perhaps you could put in for a corner office and do both :coolface:

Best of luck,
      VS
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      ... to what extent, both quality and in quantity, am I going to be able to play poker alongside the day job?
      Hi, MasochisticDesire,
      Perhaps you could put in for a corner office and do both :coolface:

Best of luck,
      VS
      That would be the life, aye. If ps.com have got you on the pay-roll isn't that a mods set-up? :s_biggrin:
      Thanks for dropping in btw.

Was pretty disgusted with my earlier performance so went back and put in another 1500 hands, and, having been stuck 8BI at one point, brought it back to a <1BI deficit. Still pretty disappointed with the less then slow start though; perhaps I need a warm-up or something similar. Also, get and use a bloody dictaphone during your sessions. In game I am constantly being reminded of things I need to consider (evidently a lot as I am playing NL2 :f_cool: ) and cant type or write them down quick enough despite starting to feel slightly more comfortable at 4 tabling zoom (long way to go though.)

Tuesday&Wednesday:
      :spade: 3,052 Hands Played
      :heart: 803 Hands/Hr
      :diamond: -$.99
      :club: BR e$50

Had to ditch the tunes this evening as I think it was contributing to a lack of focus but here was the original shout:

(easily one of my favorite bands)

Whilst running this experiment and enjoying my first couple thousand hands in about ten months, I am trying to stick to and learn w34zl3's RFI ranges as suggested in his microstakes walk through. I have definitely found in the past that my learning was hindered by a lack of structure and if I commit to poker next year I think I would start with that.

Must post some hands tomorrow.

I'm off to watch Lord Sugar verbally abuse some narcissistic sociopaths. Peace!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      That would be the life, aye. If ps.com have got you on the pay-roll isn't that a mods set-up? :s_biggrin:
      Thanks for dropping in btw.
      Yes, it would be wonderful, wouldn't it?

Mods and other PokerStrategy.com contributors do get perks. Not a salary, though :s_cry:
      If you're at all interested, send a friend request to Lazza61 the HeadAdmin.

Cheers,
      VS
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Thought I'd help ya'll out with some Friday night grindin' tunes :f_thumbsup:
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Friday nights session:
      :spade: 1,809 Hands
      :heart: 650 Hands/Hr :(
      :diamond: +$7.34
      :club: BR $60

So at 7k hands through the working week I have met the >6k mark comfortably and still played footy on Tuesday night and got sh*tfaced on Thursday night. Things are quiet at work but I think hitting >6k hands reliably through the week is very achievable.

Better get started on the >4k hands needed over the weekend.

A little drive -

Also, checked the VPP balance and I am also considering an end of year sweat (not quite as balla as SNE, but WTF, it will keep me out the pub over the hols :f_drink: )
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      pff, played like a bit of a tit last night, sloppy play in all the big pots.
      Anyhow:
      :spade: 2,244 Hands
      :heart: 732 Hands/Hr
      :diamond: +$5.48
      :club: BR $65

I am now feeling confident that the 10k hands a week is manageable but I would have to work on 'switching-on' earlier in my sessions.

Reverting to more level music to grind to, find the more dynamic stuff a little distracting a lot of the time -
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      This week plus a couple thousand earlier in the month.

- Preflop I'm starting to get w34z3l's preflop defaults down. 3bet % is lower then my natural inclination but I think this makes sense at NL2 - moving up I might up it again.
      - Some pretty sloppy post flop play that needs to improve and has hurt the win rate; I think 25-30bb/100 is achievable. That said, I'm not sticking around long enough to hit that target as I'm likely to play NL5 from here on in.
      - Bought silver status and am starting to work through w34z3l's 6max Walkthrough, I think this will provide the initial platform and structure to my learning that I felt was missing previously. Ultimately we need to learn how to think about this game for ourselves and not imitate others but I'm not at that stage yet.
      - 4 tabling ; getting more comfortable. Not hit the 1k per hour but still think 10k a week is possible.

:spade: 11,800 Hands
      :heart: 730 Hands/Hr
      :diamond: +$50 (18bb/100)
      :club: BR $72 (+$40 rewards)

70% sure I am gunna take the plunge and grind a lot in the NY; just the money I save not boozing whilst on the grind makes me the biggest winner in le micros :f_drink:

MD
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Shy of the 2k hands I pledged today but happy to make up the rest tomorrow between work and football. Nice to move up to NL5 with minimal BR and immediately hit some run good :f_cool:
      Couldn't lose for the first 1k hands or so but started to lack focus and bleed a little so calling it quits.

:spade: 1,371 Hands
      :heart: 652 Hands/Hr :f_cry: (freerolling a tourney on the side - not worth it in future, inevitably going to min-cash for chump change.)
      :diamond: +$19
      :club: BR $92 (+40)

Not very sharp at the tables atm. (Relative) volume already getting to me, need to get back in grinding shape.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Made up the hands I missed yesterday:

:spade: 666 Hands :f_o:
      :heart: 768 Hands/Hr
      :diamond: +$9
      :club: BR $100 (+40) Whoop whoop! :s_drink:

Now two and a half hours football (soccer.)

MD
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      pff, tough session this evening -
      my concentration span is shot to shit and needs to improve greatly. Felt like I ran bad, not so much in EV but situationally, that said, I also played like an iriot in a couple of important spots.

:spade: 2,534 Hands Played
      :heart: 775 Hands /Hr
      :diamond: -$5
      :club: BR $88 (+40) ???
      my PT4 and my cashier aren't matching up, either there are some hands lost in the ether somewhere or poker is rigged and Stars are scamming me...:f_biggrin:

Whatevs.
      MD
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Too frustrated to sleep so got up and two tabled back into profit. I am a mental game whale - gotta work on that.
      Played a lot better two tabling, picked up on so many bet sizing tells and general player tendencies at NL5. May have to think about dropping to three tables as I definitely miss a fair bit 4 tabling, I am way of averaging 1k hands/hr anyway and my win rate inevitably suffers slightly.

:spade: 345
      :heart: 440 Hands/Hr
      :diamond: +$10
      :club: BR $98 (+40)
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Free poker mindset coaching here peoples :s_thumbsup:

• MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Here is what I would consider a very safe plan that purposely expanded your BR and lowers your ROR (risk of ruin) as you climb the limits:

BRM:

NL5 < $250 (25BI @ NL10)
      NL10 < $750 (30BI @ NL25)
      NL25 < $1,750 (35BI @ NL50)
      NL50 < $4,000 (40BI @ NL100)
      and on to real $$$

*I would allow for a 10BI shot at each new level before moving back down.

Pretty standard but, hell, I will probably follow that BRM if I get stuck into poker in 2015. I think this sort of BRM suits someone making a longer term investment. I think it also allows plenty of hands at each limit and time to build solid fundamentals of your game...

MD
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      ffs :rage:
      900 hands into a session and running like shit :spit:
      but playing even worse :appl:
      despite dropping to three tables to focus on exploiting the bloody transparent post-flop play at NL5.
      Somehow though, I end up randomly clicking buttons without appropriate consideration and doing something utterly inexplicable.
      -7BI atm and pretty furious with myself. Going for a jog to sort my fucking life out then I am gunna mend this shit.

...later...

what a miserable bloody evening. Jog, shower, cuppa and back to the grind and after 1k hands I have made $18 back of the $37 lost by my self destructive alter-ego only to throw it all away in two hands.

EAD self-destructive alter-ego, EAD.

:spade: 2,051 Hands Spewed
      :heart: 470 hands per hour (3 tabling)
      :diamond: -$36.54
      :club: BR $61.5 (+40)

Long day tomorrow and I'm too tilted to sleep.

Later,
      MD
    • webhunky
      webhunky
      Diamond
      Somehow though, I end up randomly clicking buttons without appropriate consideration and doing something utterly inexplicable.
      Yea, familiar feeling, randomly clicking buttoms when tilting. Next day going through the session in the database, and thinking "how can I possibly do some of the stuff" :f_confused:

By the way, I'm also playing 3 tables, seems to be optimal. Try to play 500 hands in one session, helps with the tilt.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by webhunky
      Yea, familiar feeling, randomly clicking buttoms when tilting. Next day going through the session in the database, and thinking "how can I possibly do some of the stuff" :f_confused:

By the way, I'm also playing 3 tables, seems to be optimal. Try to play 500 hands in one session, helps with the tilt.
      Thanks for dropping in -
      I made through the end of the challenge and hit the 10k a week which I was happy enough with. Shame to end it on a downer though. I'll post the graph at some point. I am drafting a weekly schedule for the start of 2015 that also aims for the 10k hands a week so I will have to bounce back quicker from bad sessions.

GL@thetables,
      MD
    • Post removed