Mac parallel Windows.

• bouchapipe
      bouchapipe
      Bronze
      Dear,

My computer crashed last week, so i bought a new one.
      I bought a Mac because i thought Mac has less problems with viruses, is faster, lasts longer etc...
      Is this kind of thinking right?

The thing i didn't know is that HEM doesn't work on Mac.
      So it seems, that i ll need to use Windows, but i only want to use it to play poker.

So people advised me to use 'Parallels' to get Windows on Mac.
      But i am wondering... do you have to pay to use Windows, or is there any possibility to download it for free?
      Bill gates didn't get to be the richest man in the world by offering his stuff for free...so is it hard to get it?

If i would have to buy it, wouldn' it just be cheaper to buy PT4, which does seem to work on Mac.

What do you think?
      Any advice is welcome.

Kindest Regards,
  • 10 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      IF you don't want to pay for Windows operating system, use Home edition.

To you use it on your Mac, I would recommend getting a software like VMware (virtual machine) and install that operating system on it, connect it to the internet connection and use for Poker only stuff. Shouldn't be a hassle whatsoever.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thanx Rihard :s_thumbsup:
    • grbell
      grbell
      Bronze
      You can download Windows Home Edition legally for free?:f_confused:
    • CamboCat
      CamboCat
      Bronze
      I have a MacBook Pro and run Windows 8.1 through Parallels on a second monitor for poker only. It works great.
      I would recommend PT4 because with 1 license you can install 2 copies (1 on your virtual Windows machine and 1 on Mac). You can use the same PostgreSQL database in both versions. So if you just want to do a review you don't have to open up Windows.
      I bought Parallels (which I can recommend) but Windows 8.1. was, in my opinion, way to expensive to actually buy ;)

Playing poker on Mac OS X is also an option but it depends on your site/game. You can't run a HUD in OS X on Zoom tables, for example.
    • bouchapipe
      bouchapipe
      Bronze
      Originally posted by grbell
      Yeah can't imagine that any kind of windows is for free....if so i will definitely check it out....

+ yes i would only use windows for poker.

which do you think is best? cheapest? parallels, VM or bootcamp?

Thanks
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      Parallels is the best one. I also use it on my mac to play on several ipoker skins
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bouchapipe
      Originally posted by grbell
      Yeah can't imagine that any kind of windows is for free....if so i will definitely check it out....

We live in the year 2014, soon 2015. I wonder how new you are to the internet? Because you surely don't realize how much you can do there...
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      Hehe, one of the best hints ever
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      I dont understand what's the point of buying a mac if you are planning to use windows OS. If you want to get the legal version of the OS for cheaper than from windows PM me and I will put you in touch with the person that can help you do that. I just updated from windows 7 to windows 8 in order to have remote desktop and virtual machine myself. Imo, return the mac and get yourself something else, it's pointless for you to have a mac. Anyway you decide.
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      Originally posted by serverm07
      I dont understand what's the point of buying a mac if you are planning to use windows OS. If you want to get the legal version of the OS for cheaper than from windows PM me and I will put you in touch with the person that can help you do that. I just updated from windows 7 to windows 8 in order to have remote desktop and virtual machine myself. Imo, return the mac and get yourself something else, it's pointless for you to have a mac. Anyway you decide.
      Not everyone wants a windows laptop. Your conment is a bit narrow minded. J use a mac for graphic designing and video editing. When i want to play poker, i install windows on it. I don't have to buy another laptop for it. Two for the price of one.