sng AND nl?

• stumpii
      stumpii
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      I signed upto partypoker with my pokerstrategy bonus. I like playing sng's and have done for several years on pokerstars. Not profitably yet though. I think with sng's seeing the goal of the payout, a relatively quick endgame and the thrill of seeing your opponents drop off 1 by 1 for me make the game more thrilling than nl or fl.
      However I'm wondering if playing nl cash games is the better way (as in faster) to build up a bankroll and is it a good or bad idea to learn two strategies (sng & nl) at this stage? or will i just end up confusing myself?

while I'm here I'd just like to add that imo partypoker is a very bad site to learn to play sng's, at $1 buyin's all the 1 table sng's are speed tables.. blinds raise every 3 minutes so in no time at all everyone's in a push fold situation. Great for practising ICM but with all other players in the same situation you come unstuck often.
      I'm playing $3 tables and even here they're turbo only tables, a bit more manageable at 5 minute bb raises, but above my bankroll limit. Thankfully I'm surviving but not making headway except for the experience.

Great site this pokerstrategy btw. So glad I found you!
  • 10 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hi,

Alright I tried learning both at the same time. It works out fine, its just slower plus when your switching from one to the other its a bit difficult. I play what I feel like now and still learning in them.

NL can be very exciting too. The pots are much bigger and its faster to make or loose money than in SnGs. I prefer shorthanded games here and don't even play full handed ones anymore since they are too slow and boring, plus you get the SSS players there.

You should play with what your most comfortable with.
      SnGs are safer to make money with. NL has more risks (if you play BSS) and hence is not the best choice for beginners.

Lastly.. SnGs are supposed to be played on turbo (3min blind increase) to make money fast. 5min blind increases just take way too long and you will take a long time to make money.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi stumpii,

IMO, At first I would just stick to one type, and learn as much as you can with it. Choose the one you enjoy most. You will learn the most, when playing something you enjoy.

Personally, I prefer SnG's, and think it's the safest way to build a roll.

@Dragar, SnG's aren't "meant to be played on turbo's". Where did you read that? You should play standard SnG's at first, so you learn how to handle each blind level. Only once you are an experianced player you should switch. Even then it depends on what you have the best hourly rate on.

Also "5 minute blind levels take to long"? huh? I play the 10 minute blind levels, and my winrate is no lower than the turbo players. ;)

Regards,
      Stiev
    • Calron
      Calron
      Bronze
      Since there's already a discussion about SnGs, I'll ask my question here.

In regards to bankroll management it is required that you should have at least 30 buy-ins to play a limit safely. Does this include the rake as well?

For example if a $1 SnG has a $0.10 rake would that imply that I require a minimum of $33 to play this limit or does it just apply to the buy-in?
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Calron,

Yes you include the rake into your BRM. So its correct that you need $33 for the $1.10 games.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • Snarf85
      Snarf85
      Bronze
      I hate Turbo SnGs with a passion. There's far more luck involved in Turbos than regular speed tourneys.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stumpii
      Hi all,
      I signed upto partypoker with my pokerstrategy bonus. I like playing sng's and have done for several years on pokerstars. Not profitably yet though. I think with sng's seeing the goal of the payout, a relatively quick endgame and the thrill of seeing your opponents drop off 1 by 1 for me make the game more thrilling than nl or fl.
      However I'm wondering if playing nl cash games is the better way (as in faster) to build up a bankroll and is it a good or bad idea to learn two strategies (sng & nl) at this stage? or will i just end up confusing myself?

while I'm here I'd just like to add that imo partypoker is a very bad site to learn to play sng's, at $1 buyin's all the 1 table sng's are speed tables.. blinds raise every 3 minutes so in no time at all everyone's in a push fold situation. Great for practising ICM but with all other players in the same situation you come unstuck often.
      I'm playing $3 tables and even here they're turbo only tables, a bit more manageable at 5 minute bb raises, but above my bankroll limit. Thankfully I'm surviving but not making headway except for the experience.

Great site this pokerstrategy btw. So glad I found you!
      Personally I would suggest you keep to the BRM rule which is THE most important rule of poker.
      I would stick to SnG's if thats what you usually play, and try NL with playchips(read my recent post in another topic here) until I get a good feeling for it. I remember winning a few SnG's and then losing on cash tables...its a different game.
    • adprocas
      adprocas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood

Personally I would suggest you keep to the BRM rule which is THE most important rule of poker.
      I would stick to SnG's if thats what you usually play, and try NL with playchips(read my recent post in another topic here) until I get a good feeling for it. I remember winning a few SnG's and then losing on cash tables...its a different game.

I fully second this post.

I started playing cash games and pretty much broke even.

Then, I was up playing SnG's. I then decided that I wanted to learn and play cash games again.

It's a lot different in so many ways. I could write a book about what I found different, but I'm not good at cash at the moment.

I plan on learning in the future. For now I am going to follow my own advice and stick to SnG's.

So, again, I agree with this post. Stick to the bankroll management and just play SnG's if that's what you like. No sense in trying to learn too much right now.

Also, I would like to disagree with that comment about Turbo tables and making more money. Turbo tables are annoying and you DON'T make more money. They require more 'luck'.

Regular SnG tables will give you the time to play the way this site teaches you. Turbo's just increase blinds too quickly. You can't judge properly, because the Button often doesn't go around the table once before the BB raises once or twice.

The difference between the Turbo tables and the Regular is almost as big as the difference between Cash games and SnG's.

So, stick to the regular SnG's and get better. You'll make more as you move up the stakes.

EDIT: Also, there is a HUGE difference between NL SnG's and Limit SnG's. Your subject kind of implies NL SnG's.
    • stumpii
      stumpii
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback all.
      Ok I'll stick to sng's for now.. yes I meant nl sng's, but because of the structure at partypoker I feel I'll be better defying the bankroll management advice and stay with $3 games.. I know this is risky but feel I'll be better able to develop a winning strategy with longer blind level increases.. 3minute blind levels at $1, 5minute blinds at $3, better but still not ideal.. I would prefer normal 10minute levels).

regards,
      Dave
    • adprocas
      adprocas
      Bronze
      To be fully honest, the 6 dollar ones are my favourite.

I had quite the bankroll on Party for a while actually, then recently I blew most of it on cash games (I think I mentioned that above)

Anyway, so I fully understand. I find it hard to play their $1 tables. I might actually just transfer some money from another site, cause I like the $6 tables at party. Regular speed.

However, I bet if you get used to the $3 ones, the $6 ones will be no problem. You'll feel like you can wait forever before a blind increase!
    • Harold1
      Harold1
      Global
      If you can afford to play at the three dollar tables you could move to another site. I play at Mansion, there's really good low limit sng's 6 player to 1500 player and .01/02 nl.
      you won't get the strategy points but you can learn there and put the practice to use at PP.
      Mansions a good place for beginners, lots of slow tables.
      Another thing, Poker Stars has nl sng freerolls out the wauzoo if you want to put your pactice in to play.

If you can't 'get lucky be lucky.