The realist and the dreamer

• D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      Hi there!

It's almost 2015, and that means i would like to get my goals straight. Not only in poker, but also in life. Let's start with a brief introduction:

I have been playing poker since i was 16 years old. My dad introduced me to the game by buying a some pokerchips and a card deck. We played for fun, and then when i searched Google, i discovered online poker. I signed up at some rooms, busted my play money accounts frequently and learned a bit in the process. When i started to really gain some traction, i had some serious tilt problems (still have, but less). I didn't understand the variance of the game that much, and i thought i was the most unlucky person ever.

Fast forward a couple of years, and i have learned the game a bit better. Not really THAT much, but better then 6 years ago. I play on Pokerstars and on some ipoker skins at the moment. Mainly cashgames 5NL and sometimes 10NL. I have set some clear goals and i would like to share them with you guys!

Goals:

I'm still in school, and i need to be there for 2,5 years. So when i'm done, i want to have a bankroll to atleast go semi pro. I think 2,5 years of studying poker, getting better and make my bankroll grow should be enough time. Besides that, i would like to start my own (small) business. More about that later on. I'm currently going to a rough patch right now (not poker related). I have some problems regarding some weird mood swings. No guys, i'm not on my periode and i'm not a girl :P . It's a cyclus that returns once in a while. I generally feel like shit, and i always think that i'm not worth it. It's really hard for my girlfriend, because when she tries to help me, i refuse and share nothing about how i feel. I had a psychiatrist once, but i didn't like it. Maybe i should try it again.

In general i'm a very closed person. I don't tell how i feel, and i certainly don't tell this to my girlfriend or family. I feel embarrassed i guess. I had a quick conversation with my teacher about this problem, and he will look for counseling so i can talk to someone. I'm not always like this :) But when it happens, it sucks. It's not that i am depressed or something, because when i'm not feeling this way, i'm very easy to hang out with. People see me as a nice person, as someone who always speaks his mind.

So, let's make a list of what i want to do in 2015:

- Move up to NL10 [ ]
      - Move up to NL25 [ ]
      - Move up to NL50 [ ]
      - Quit smoking [ ]
      - Play MTT's (will qualify through satty's [ ]
      - Study the game [ ]
      - Get coaching [ ]

So thats' it for now :) if i want to add something, i will!
  • 6 replies
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      Played a session yesterday and today:

• D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      24 tabling seems to go fine
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      So the reason i'm 24 tabling 5NL is because 1: i can't get bored (well, sometimes), and 2: 50$ stellar reward on Stars and another bonus. Still need 4K VPP though ... So it's going to be difficult. Soon i'm going away on several trips (around the holidays etc), and then i don't have enough time to play.

Here i have a graph for you to look at :) Got into a hole while running below EV. Then i started to make stupid mistakes which were really not necessary. After that i just concentrated alot more and played better / ran hot.

Hands:

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: $9.37
      Hero (CO): $6.20
      BTN: $5.12
      SB: $4.95
      BB: $5.00
      UTG: $13.70

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has Q:club: Q:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, BTN raises to $0.62, fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.20, BTN calls $0.58

Flop: ($2.47, 2 players) 5:heart: J:diamond: 2:spade:
      Hero bets $1.42, fold

Hero wins $2.37

What would you do here?

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

BB: $2.30
      UTG: $5.01
      Hero (CO): $6.27
      BTN: $4.01
      SB: $7.60

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has T:diamond: J:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, SB calls $0.18, fold

Flop: ($0.45, 2 players) 2:club: J:spade: 7:diamond:
      SB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.95, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      SB bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

River: ($2.05, 2 players) 8:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks

SB shows 9:spade: 9:club: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 54%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      Hero shows T:diamond: J:club: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 46%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
      Hero wins $1.97

And here

BTN: $2.85
      Hero (SB): $5.00
      BB: $4.98
      UTG: $5.29
      MP: $5.45
      CO: $5.20

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has 5:diamond: 5:heart:

fold, MP raises to $0.15, fold, BTN calls $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, fold

Flop: ($0.50, 3 players) J:club: 5:spade: 8:heart:
      Hero bets $0.38, MP calls $0.38, fold

Turn: ($1.26, 2 players) K:heart:
      Hero bets $0.96, MP calls $0.96

River: ($3.18, 2 players) 5:club:
      Hero bets $3.51 and is all-in, MP calls $3.51

Hero shows 5:diamond: 5:heart: (Four of a Kind, Fives) (Pre 20%, Flop 91%, Turn 2%)
      MP shows K:spade: K:diamond: (Full House, Kings full of Fives) (Pre 80%, Flop 9%, Turn 98%)
      Hero wins $9.78

Running hot, like i said
    • sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      I'll comment, maybe without the depth as most players as I'm learning but i'm finding that commenting or reading others hand analysis will help me as well.

So here's my thoughts...

QQ - on the flop I would have played the same line. Not knowing his stats Vpip/Pfr as well his FvCbet or CCbet its the safest line IMO. If he calls and it's K or A I look at ck/f or b/f turn.

TJ - I would have followed through with a Cbet on flop raising 3bb. If he calls my 3B then I'm looking to ck/f turn if anything scary hits. The 5 nothing much there so Ck/C is fine i'd say and the 8 on river Ck is good too. Can only imagine what villan had this hand, some sort of broken draw with maybe middle pair?

55 - good call from sb and works perfectly flopping set. I may have ck/c that line but leading out his perfectly fine in my books here. Lucky you got action from at least one which is good. The King on turn is good for you hoping he's got AK,KT+ again leading out is good maybe to induce a bluff a ck/c or ck/r the turn just incase he's holding AQ we don't allow him to catch T on river. But I've learned in the past and try not too but never slow play trips with a drawy board. So the lead out is perfectly fine and works out even better hitting Quads. I like the lead out for max value, maybe 2/3 pot would be good but doesn't matter villan calls your AI and your on top of the world!

Nice hands, gave me something to think about, 9/10 times I'm running the same line as you did, but it gave me something about when I'd ck/r or ck/c certain spots. thank you and best of luck at the tables!

cheers!
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      Thanks for the nice feedback :) i can work with this :D
    • D0nkshove
      D0nkshove
      Bronze
      So i'm not really interested in posting graphs right now. I have a couple of hands and i hope you guys can give me some feedback.

Hand 1:

Ok, so this guy looks me up a ton. He is actually a pretty OK regular, but maybe too aggro sometimes. He has a fold to 3bet percentage of 15%, so thats not alot. His range however consists of total airballs, but also some pocket pairs and premiums. He plays everything the same, so when i do hit, i just check/call him, and bet or raise on the river when i have it to extract value. This hand however, is really interesting. I have QK and i make my usual 3-bet. Against him it was pretty -EV. I flop a draw and he leads out. It does not make sense that i would re-raise him here, so i flat. I do hit my straight and decide i let him bet at it. His range here consists of pocket pairs or some Ax hands. He would never flat a 3-bet here with premiums preflop. So, when i bet big, i thought he had a really good value hand, so i decide to shove here. Again, i could've been wrong, but with a bluff he won't give me any value anyway, and when the board would complete the flush, i never get enough value from whatever monster he has.

CO: $5.00
      BTN: $8.42
      Hero (SB): $5.77
      BB: $5.38
      UTG: $5.84
      MP: $5.00

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has Q:spade: K:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.45, fold, BTN calls $0.33

Flop: ($0.95, 2 players) 6:diamond: T:spade: A:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36

Turn: ($1.67, 2 players) J:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.04, Hero raises to $4.96 and is all-in, BTN calls $3.92

River: ($11.59, 2 players) 3:diamond:

Hero shows Q:spade: K:diamond: (Straight, Ace High) (Pre 46%, Flop 14%, Turn 77%)
      BTN shows 6:club: 6:heart: (Three of a Kind, Sixes) (Pre 54%, Flop 86%, Turn 23%)
      Hero wins $11.11

Hand 2:

So, i get KK which is awesome. In my wild moment of joy i 3-bet him, hoping to get it in pre. Instead he just flats. So, flop comes and it's not really great. He checks, which tells me he has a draw or some made hand. I c-bet either way, because i don't want to lose drawing hands. Turn is a 4s, and stupid as i am, i check. Main reason for this is i don't want to bloat the pot if he hits or shoves the river. Js hits the river and that completes a backdoor flush (which is not rly in his range i think). It completes the straight also, so that sucks. I decide to fold here because he could either have a set or a straight.

BTN: $5.00
      SB: $5.55
      BB: $5.96
      UTG: $5.07
      MP: $6.34
      Hero (CO): $6.88

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:club: K:heart:

fold, MP raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, fold, fold, fold, MP calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.97, 2 players) T:spade: 8:heart: 7:heart:
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.74, MP calls $0.74

Turn: ($2.45, 2 players) 4:spade:
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.45, 2 players) J:spade:
      MP bets $1.35, fold

MP wins $2.35

Hand 3:

So, here MP limps, and i decide to raise here with my queens. Maybe i should've raised more, but whatever. He calls and i think he has alot of trash in his range, maybe some suited trash, but still trash. I could include small pocket pairs also. Flop is not great, but not really bad either. I make a small cbet because i want to play a small pot against him. He calls and the Js falls on the turn. I decide to check behind here in case he has some Ax hand. River is 4 and villain bets, which is strange. He checked the flop and calls my bet, which tells me he could have a draw, checks the turn and bets the river. Weird line, but i decide to call.

Hero (BTN): $5.00
      SB: $5.00
      BB: $6.70
      UTG: $5.14
      MP: $11.56
      CO: $12.70

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has Q:diamond: Q:spade:

fold, MP calls $0.05, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, fold, MP calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.47, 2 players) 8:heart: A:diamond: 2:heart:
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.27, MP calls $0.27

Turn: ($1.01, 2 players) J:spade:
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.01, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      MP bets $0.48, Hero calls $0.48

MP shows 4:heart: 6:heart: (One Pair, Fours) (Pre 21%, Flop 38%, Turn 20%)
      Hero shows Q:diamond: Q:spade: (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 79%, Flop 62%, Turn 80%)
      Hero wins $1.89