Is christmas christmas for poker pros?

• invidia95
      invidia95
      Bronze
      I've always wondered, is december and early january a time when games are better? My logic is pretty straghtforward people get end year bonuses, kids get money from their parents etc. Or is it the other way around? Are the tables just filled with regs trying to hit SN?

p.s not sure whether this is an appropriate part of the forum or if it has already been discussed, so please move the thread if necessary
  • 4 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by invidia95
      Are the tables just filled with regs trying to hit SN?
      You're not obliged to choose Stars to play at :f_wink: I believe that games become softer at other sites at this time of the year, though in the two last years, I was too out of shape to test it :f_frown:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I think that the biggest factor is that people have time to play.
      A lot of people have vacation at this time of year.

Even with the additional social obligations, people have time for themselves.

Cheers,
      VS
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I've just checked my winnings sorted by date for the lols, and it turns out that, if I exclude the $2500 William Hill VIP freeroll bink in Nov'13, the only 48-hour period over which I won >€1K (I've been mostly mixing PLO20-50 in the 'career') was... you've guessed right, the Christmas nights (Dec 24-26) of 2013 on Microgaming and iPoker (as you might remember, it was just after Ladbrokes departed from Micro for iPoker, but yet before Unibet moved to a standalone platform). Most of the winnings (>$1K) were in the latter half (on the Eastern Time 25th). I did run like a god, and did make a guest appearance at PLO€100 to bumhunt, but the all-in adjusted winnings were over ~$600, also a record. (Lol at the sample size of 2778 hands, I know.)
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      tl;dr but think it is pretty safe to assume games are softer when more recreational players have time to play. Evidently that includes all holidays.