SNG 6 max early stages - is it like 6 max cash?

• thewinner44
      thewinner44
      Bronze
      Hi there,

I've got a question to the more experienced 6 max sng players. Do you think playing early stages sng strategy is similar to 6 max cash games. Is playing 6 max cash games going to help me with playing 6 max sng?

I've been playing full ring sng's so far and I'm looking forward to move to 6 max. I just find it much bigger fun. I've read a Moshman's book and made a solid notes, so I've got some understanding of sng's dynamics and ICM. I'm just trying to figure it out what is the best way to start playing 6 max sng? Do you recommend playing 6 max cash for a while to get a feel of this format?

Regards
      thewinner44
  • 2 replies
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      i would start playing quite loose and agressive, try to steal blinds and cbet almost everytime as these people are incredibly tight early stages.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Best thing to do is watch videos, post hands and study ICM. Although, u can find a lot of similar spots in 6-max Cash game and 6-max SNG game, they are totally different in their core. It's not just that ICM is involved, it's also the stack size effect that brings huge contribution to how the game changes. F.e. You are not gonna open the same range with 20BI effective than what you would with 100 BI effective compared to a cash game. Maybe in the early stages when we are deeper ranges look similar, but that changes quite quickly.

Cheers!