Tales from the NL2's

• hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      This is why I play NL2

I have brain fog/brain freeze/red mist call it what you will so I lose more than I win because I don't have enough patience, thing is I know I'm going to lose before I make the bet but I still do it because my brain ends up having a battle with itself.
      I can't seem to get my strategy nailed yet.
      Anyway enough of that!!

So I played NL4 was up $0.25 but stayed too long and lost it all eventually, then played NL4 again lost around $0.25 then I got out and played NL10 as NL2's were still full, managed to get to +$0.65 but stayed too long and it went down to $8.89 so got out before losing anymore. (playing time around 3.5 hours)

I did watch a player from Russia who waited about 1 hour (yes, she waited 1 whole hour with $2 stack before playing a hand) and then raised pre-flop $0.34 all folded except a guy with $0.85 stack, he went all in and she won with KK he had AJo.

Just as a side note, how do you win a hand on BU if you only get rags?
  • 7 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi hardlife - believe it or not that is a very common form of tilt.

Have you read Jared Tendler's The Mental Game of Poker? I highly recommend it - many people here have read it and said it helped there game tremendously. It certainly helped me out by identifying what my tilt triggers were and ways to deal with them before I started tilting and getting involved in pots that I knew I was going to lose. There are also some good Psychology articles on this site that may help.

It also seems that you are playing quite a wide range of stakes (NL2 - NL10), if you haven't already, I would suggest you check out the following Bankroll Management articles.

Good luck at the tables and Happy Holidays!
    • MichFran
      MichFran
      Bronze
      How many tables are you playing? It sound to me as if you don't have the patience to wait for a good hand. Try play four tables, and the good hands will come more often.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MichFran
      How many tables are you playing? It sound to me as if you don't have the patience to wait for a good hand. Try play four tables, and the good hands will come more often.
      Definitely don't listen to this. Get your strategy sorted on 1 table before playing 4, otherwise you are gonna find the brain fog far more severe.

You win on BU even with rags because you are able to play them in position and therefore have informational advantage on people.
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Thanks guys
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      I have brain fog/brain freeze/red mist call it what you will so I lose more than I win because I don't have enough patience, thing is I know I'm going to lose before I make the bet but I still do it because my brain ends up having a battle with itself.
      Hi, hardlife66,
      I call that "The Death Wish Hero Call".
      If you know you're going to lose, don't call.

However, if you find yourself in this situation too often, you're likely taking too many hands to showdown -- tighten up.

If you're playing full ring, try 6-Max, but as metza says, know what you are doing on one table before you play more.

If you find you're getting bored you might try
      :diamond:   analyzing everyone else's ranges after you fold. Give yourself 1 point for every range you get right within reason, 2 points if you're spot on and take off a point if you totally missed the bus.
      :diamond:   Take notes on the two players two your left and the two players to your right.

The benefit of the above is that when you have card-dead down-time at the table, you're turning into study time.

Best of luck,
      VS;
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      :diamond:   analyzing everyone else's ranges after you fold. Give yourself 1 point for every range you get right within reason, 2 points if you're spot on and take off a point if you totally missed the bus.

The benefit of the above is that when you have card-dead down-time at the table, you're turning into study time.

Best of luck,
      VS;
      I like the mini-game Vorpal... might be something for PokerStars to introduce... bet a chip and guess the range!!!
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      Hi, hardlife66,
      I call that "The Death Wish Hero Call".
      If you know you're going to lose, don't call.

However, if you find yourself in this situation too often, you're likely taking too many hands to showdown -- tighten up.

If you're playing full ring, try 6-Max, but as metza says, know what you are doing on one table before you play more.

:diamond:   Take notes on the two players two your left and the two players to your right.

Best of luck,
      VS;
      Hi Vorpal,
      I don't have the brain fog/freeze now as don't let people get to me anymore and don't play when tired, I think it was the tiredness that was doing it anyway I like your suggestion about guessing ranges will have to try that out