getting started MTT

• tamamo
      tamamo
      Bronze
      I would like to start MTT career from next year.
      Which game is recommended? (pokerstars)
      at present, I am considering $0.5,$1 180m sng.

my bankroll is about $5000
      maingame hyper6max $3.5-$7

thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Playing 180s is a good idea for getting started.
      With 5k$ BR you would be able to play up to the 15$ 180s without much of a problem bankroll wise.
      Starting low is a good idea though - that way you can practise mtt play with weaker opponents that won't punish mistakes as much.
      If you need some content for getting started I would recommend my MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • LuckyLukePS
      LuckyLukePS
      Coach
      Coach
      The 180s are a great training ground for MTTs. I would recommend 200-300 buy-ins for micro / low stakes MTTs, but you could get by on as little as 100 on an aggressive bankroll approach. Agree with Asaban that starting low is best. Don't add too many tables too quickly either. Lots of soft games at the stakes you mention, mix in some freezeouts and tiny turbos. It really depends on your timezone beyond that...
    • tamamo
      tamamo
      Bronze
      thank you for reply.

Are there any disadvantages to late registration?
      I'm experienced in hyper, so possible, I want to do so.
    • LuckyLukePS
      LuckyLukePS
      Coach
      Coach
      Yes. It's always going to be max value to reg. from the start. More fish, more stacks = more stacking of fish for more BBs. Fish making bigger mistakes deep stacked. That said, it can still be profitable (though less so) late regging. I'd rarely late reg. for <20bbs, and only do it with special events or when starting a session (to keep volume up).
    • gobby88
      gobby88
      Bronze
      question is very relevant for me, I'm coming over from small/mid cash games (20bb CAP), would it be better for me to play 180s or the small buyin Hot and Bigger tourneys on Stars, with deeper fields?
    • LuckyLukePS
      LuckyLukePS
      Coach
      Coach
      The Hots and Bigs will be softer, and far higher variance. The 180s will be more similar to the stack sizes you're used to working with. They both have merits, it will depend on your bankroll amongst other things. You can always mix both in.
    • uglyboy88
      uglyboy88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamamo
      I would like to start MTT career from next year.
      Which game is recommended? (pokerstars)
      at present, I am considering $0.5,$1 180m sng.

my bankroll is about $5000
      maingame hyper6max $3.5-$7

thanks.
      play 0.5$ 180mans to get a hang of them and not lose money, just to see how it works and then easly try 2.5$ 180mans nd grind there like 5k smple and then you will see whats your lvl