I don't know how to study!

• Zanardi1
      This title seems weird, given the fact that I am a Uni assistant and I teach other students, but poker study-wise, I am a complete :f_smile: . I keep looking into the Hold'em Manager, I see all these cool features and I have no clue of what to do so as I can effectively use them to improve my game. I find the mistakes that I have mostly because of repeating patterns, rather than analyzing my database, dissecting it and saying something like: I see! I made thin value bets OOP against two fish too often, so I am exposing myself to suckouts on the long term. I mean, it's not something completely voluntarely, repetitive and systematic. I simply tinker around, hoping to find something.

Now, please, don't understand that I don't know how to use Hold'em Manager :)

I would like to know if there is a plan or something that must be done to find the errors in my game and to fix them. Where do I begin? What should I be searching for? What should I do?
  • 4 replies
    • larsonk7
      Best way to learn is to play as many hands as possible and post them up on some forum for feedback.

This for sure is the best way for you to improve.

You can watch videos etc, but the biggest part of developing/improving is playing.

After a while you will sus out what works and does not work.
    • PumaPerez

database-wise i could recommend BogdanPS`s videos

you should be looking for Holdem manager 2 report filters series, but also some stuff from 2011-12 is worth to watch (stats surgeon).
    • Ramble
      Great topic and one I am very much interested in.

I have a ton of respect for players (and people in general) who not only research available material, but who go to the next step and find ways to analyze and learn from the info right in front of them - in this case their database. These are the guys and gals who will always be ahead of the pack because they are creators of knowledge.

One of the things I do is create player pools of "good" winning regs and then analyze their overall stats to see what they are doing differently then my stats. If my stats differ greatly then I have to try and figure out why they are approaching a situation differently then I do - what are the pros/cons of each approach, and should I adjust or not.

I'll have to check out the material Puma references - it sounds like it could be very interesting.
    • xkoko
      I agree with Iarsonk7, for you to improve your game you should play Small Ball (play all hands from good position, raise pre flop 3bb, and bet the flop 2/4 or 3/4 pot even if it hits you or not but don't rist to much)