"All I had was $20."

    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Yo! I haven't been around here for quite a while, due to some real life crap problems. But finally, I've got time to do this!

      A lil' bit about me:


      21 years old, italian, living in London from September 2013. Poker has always had a certain charm on me since I was 14. I love the game, the calculations and the psychology behind it, the atmosphere, the competition.
      I've been playing with regular intervals for a while, always thinking about starting to do it in "more serious" way.

      Finally, I've been able to get some spare time in my life. And yes, I'll use some of it to focus on poker, study it, and try to bring my game to another level.
      I'll start with a very small deposit. Actually, I've got that money since a while on my PokerStars account. So yeah, let's recycle those 20 bucks.

      I'm currently using a trial version of PokerTracker 4 to track my hands.

      I decided to start this blog to keep track of my errors, my doubts, my mindset and everything else regarding my game. Also, I will post some hands here and I'd really appreciate your feedback, thoughts and advices on them.


      Next goal(s) (constantly edited)


      Play 10.000 hands
      Skills improvement
      $300 bankroll in a month (starting on 30/12/14)


      INFO (constantly edited)

      Current bankroll: $45.74
      Played hands: 950
      Profit: $25.74




      Let's do this!
  • 19 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.11.2008 Posts: 1,421
      Hi Rtwice, Good luck with your goals and your blog!

      Do you have a timeline for those 10,000 hands?
      Are you following a bank-roll management plan?

      Best of Luck to You!
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Originally posted by Ramble
      Hi Rtwice, Good luck with your goals and your blog!

      Do you have a timeline for those 10,000 hands?
      Are you following a bank-roll management plan?

      Best of Luck to You!
      I would say 1 month, but I don't want to rush things. I want to focus on my skills improvement, understanding mistakes and mindset.

      I also decided to buy a copy of "The mental game of poker". Any opinion about it?

      I'll post a couple of hands later.
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2014 Posts: 47
      Good luck, dude! Your starting point is the same as in my challenge, so it'll be very interesting to see how you'll perform ;)

      As I understood you're playing in PokerStars, right? Regular, Zoom, or mixing both? :)

      "The Mental Game of Poker" is a master piece. Definitely worth to read it!
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Originally posted by EnjoyThis
      Good luck, dude! Your starting point is the same as in my challenge, so it'll be very interesting to see how you'll perform ;)

      As I understood you're playing in PokerStars, right? Regular, Zoom, or mixing both? :)

      "The Mental Game of Poker" is a master piece. Definitely worth to read it!
      Hey mate, thanks!
      Yeah, I'm playing on pokerstars, just regular. Never really liked zoom.
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2014 Posts: 47
      Huh, it seems we won't see each other at the tables then :f_cool:
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Originally posted by EnjoyThis
      Huh, it seems we won't see each other at the tables then :f_cool:
      Yeah, unfortunately we won't I'm afraid. Best of luck for your challenge, by the way! :f_thumbsup:


      Here are a couple of hands. I'd really appreciate to have your opinions and advices on these.

      First one:
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

      BB: 246.2 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      UTG: 147.2 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      MP: 100 BB (VPIP: 10.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      CO: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 30.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      BTN: 158 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 30.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      Hero (SB): 98.6 BB

      Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

      Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has Q:club: Q:spade:

      fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.4 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, BB calls 8 BB, fold

      Flop: (20.4 BB, 2 players) K:heart: J:diamond: 5:heart:
      Hero bets 12 BB, BB calls 12 BB

      Turn: (44.4 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      Hero bets 17 BB, BB calls 17 BB

      River: (78.4 BB, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      Hero bets 28 BB, fold

      Hero wins 75.2 BB


      And here is the second one:

      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

      SB: 227.6 BB (VPIP: 28.00, PFR: 18.00, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, Hands: 52)
      BB: 100 BB
      UTG: 105.6 BB (VPIP: 21.15, PFR: 7.69, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 52)
      MP: 117.6 BB (VPIP: 26.00, PFR: 24.00, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 52)
      CO: 78.6 BB (VPIP: 18.52, PFR: 7.41, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 28)
      Hero (BTN): 135.6 BB

      SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

      Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:diamond: J:spade:

      fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, SB raises to 10 BB, fold, Hero calls 7 BB

      Flop: (21 BB, 2 players) 8:spade: 8:club: A:heart:
      SB bets 13 BB, Hero raises to 31 BB, SB calls 18 BB

      Turn: (83 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 94.6 BB and is all-in, fold

      Hero wins 79.6 BB

      Every single comment is more than welcome.
    • EnjoyThis
      EnjoyThis
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2014 Posts: 47
      Thanks, mate! ;)

      1st hand; pre is fine, cbet is fine we're extracting value from Jx and draws maybe some sticky 99-TT, OTT I see the reason for small cbet to leave QJ and JT in the pot, however it's only 6 combos of those, because he's not flatting pre with QJo and JTo, on the other hand he's willing to pay us way more with his draws, so why not bet bigger? As played, OTR there is not much hands beating us, only KQ and maybe AK if he's just flatting pre with it, missed draws are going to fold no matter what, so our only target is Jx, small thin value bet to get a crying call seems fine. However, I think hand was played fine, but you missed some value OTT.

      2nd hand; pre is fine, OTF I don't like the raise though, we are scaring away weaker aces and QQ-KK, on the other hand better aces and 8x won't folding, OTT the push is even worse I think, what hands are gonna call us that we beat? I can't think of any. I would have just called the flop where his range contains lots of weaker aces and QQ-KK and then reevaluated OTT, but mostly calling and betting if he checks to us.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.11.2014 Posts: 637
      Good luck :f_drink:
    • kmacfarlane
      kmacfarlane
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.08.2012 Posts: 26
      gl buddy, I am starting at a similar level. I'll be following your progress!
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.11.2008 Posts: 1,421
      Originally posted by Rtwice
      I want to focus on my skills improvement, understanding mistakes and mindset.

      I also decided to buy a copy of "The mental game of poker". Any opinion about it?
      Those are great areas to focus on.

      I got that book for Christmas last year and it made a huge difference for me. Just being aware of the many different forms of tilt, being aware of which forms affect you, and then what you can do to learn from and prevent it from affecting your game is very powerful.
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Originally posted by EnjoyThis
      Thanks, mate! ;)

      1st hand; pre is fine, cbet is fine we're extracting value from Jx and draws maybe some sticky 99-TT, OTT I see the reason for small cbet to leave QJ and JT in the pot, however it's only 6 combos of those, because he's not flatting pre with QJo and JTo, on the other hand he's willing to pay us way more with his draws, so why not bet bigger? As played, OTR there is not much hands beating us, only KQ and maybe AK if he's just flatting pre with it, missed draws are going to fold no matter what, so our only target is Jx, small thin value bet to get a crying call seems fine. However, I think hand was played fine, but you missed some value OTT.

      2nd hand; pre is fine, OTF I don't like the raise though, we are scaring away weaker aces and QQ-KK, on the other hand better aces and 8x won't folding, OTT the push is even worse I think, what hands are gonna call us that we beat? I can't think of any. I would have just called the flop where his range contains lots of weaker aces and QQ-KK and then reevaluated OTT, but mostly calling and betting if he checks to us.
      Thanks very much mate! I appreciate your comments :)

      Originally posted by iSoOwnYou
      Good luck :f_drink:
      Originally posted by kmacfarlane
      gl buddy, I am starting at a similar level. I'll be following your progress!
      Thank you guys! :f_drink:

      Originally posted by Ramble
      Those are great areas to focus on.

      I got that book for Christmas last year and it made a huge difference for me. Just being aware of the many different forms of tilt, being aware of which forms affect you, and then what you can do to learn from and prevent it from affecting your game is very powerful.
      Well then, you definitely boosted me up (holy crap... is it actually correct to say so? :f_confused: ) to buy it ASAP with those words! Thanks!
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Hey guys! Some fresh news here!

      I've been playing around 4 or 5 hours during yesterday, splitting those hours between the whole day. Lot of bad played hands, bad beats and tilts. Especially tilts. That's still my main issue in poker.

      That said, I've closed my last session with a final lost of $1.70 or something. In the evening, I've played some heads up.

      I've got to say that I've always been pretty good in playing heads up, even when I had not even a clue about strategy, mindset etc. I've always been more comfortable in playing them and I always liked to do so.
      Yesterday I won many head up. I've just lost one this morning before going to work (it was 5:00AM, shame on me for playing at that time), concluding this new session with a balance of $37.34. That means a profit of $12.81, for a total profit of $17.34.

      Now, I REALLY need advices here.

      Should I focus on heads up? That's what I am good at, a little bit at least. I manage to play much better. I manage to think better.
      Or should I keep going with cash game? I've never been a real fun of cash games. I prefer tournaments much more than that. Don't know why, I just don't like it.
      Please, help me clearing my mind!

      And finally guys, my laptop shut down while I was running Pokertracker 4. I can't really understand what actually happened, but my hand history on Pokertracker has literally disappeared. So I've lost my hands and, also, the count of those.

      So I'll update the main post saying that I've played 400 hands, but that's just a number close to the actual amount.

      Peace&Love!
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.11.2008 Posts: 1,421
      Originally posted by Rtwice
      Now, I REALLY need advices here.

      Should I focus on heads up? That's what I am good at, a little bit at least. I manage to play much better. I manage to think better.
      Or should I keep going with cash game? I've never been a real fun of cash games. I prefer tournaments much more than that. Don't know why, I just don't like it.
      Please, help me clearing my mind!
      My personal opinion is play what you enjoy and you are more likely to stick with it and be successful. This is because it is much easier to learn when you are having fun. If you want to get any amount of volume in, it is going to take up a good part of your time - so you might as well be happy how you spend that time. It sounds to me like HU and/or tournaments are what you would enjoy more...
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Originally posted by Ramble
      Originally posted by Rtwice
      Now, I REALLY need advices here.

      Should I focus on heads up? That's what I am good at, a little bit at least. I manage to play much better. I manage to think better.
      Or should I keep going with cash game? I've never been a real fun of cash games. I prefer tournaments much more than that. Don't know why, I just don't like it.
      Please, help me clearing my mind!
      My personal opinion is play what you enjoy and you are more likely to stick with it and be successful. This is because it is much easier to learn when you are having fun. If you want to get any amount of volume in, it is going to take up a good part of your time - so you might as well be happy how you spend that time. It sounds to me like HU and/or tournaments are what you would enjoy more...
      Yes, I do enjoy those, especially HU. I'm not really into cash game, unless it's a live game which makes it a little more enjoyable for me.

      I'll think about this in the next few days.
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Alright, first a quick update.

      I've played many HU and, in the end, I've closed the last session with a bankroll of $45.74. $8.4 , for a total profit of $25.74.

      That said, I've decided to focus mainly on HU. Thus, my goals will change.

      At the moment I'm playing HU s&g, either $1.50 and $3.50. I'm not taking track of the difference between the lost and won games, but I can say with no doubts that I've won many more games than lost, so far.

      However, my main goal (skills improvement, mindset, strategy) won't change. I have LOTS of work to do. In the meantime, I'll make some changes to my secondary goals, which will be the following:
      - $300 bankroll in a month
      - Do not play $1.50 HU s&g anymore
      - Start to play some $7.00 HU s$g (when I'll have $300+ bankroll)


      I'd appreciate if you guys could give me some directions. I need to start working on my mindset. Tilt is my worst enemy here.
      And also, some readings on HU strategy, even if, in my opinion, a good part of a good strategy in HU is about understanding and exploit your opponent's game.

      Peace&Love!
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Hey y'all! I know, I didn't post for a while. Thing is, I haven't been playing much. Work, new flat, social life... Too busy!

      But I want to write a quick update.

      PokerTracker 4 is really pissing me off. My hand history disappears when I shut it down, returning not more than a blank layout every time I restart it. I'm pretty sure that the main issue is not because of PokerTracker itself though. Something got messed up when my laptop suddenly rebooted that day while running pokertracker and pokerstars client at the same time.

      So I decided to uninstall the trial version that I've currently got and buy a full one. And also, I decided to change lobby. PokerStars is a good one, but I want to try different ones.
      So I had an idea: make a deposit on TitanPoker and get a copy of PokerTracker 4 through their offer! http://www.pokertracker.com/get-it-free/?o=titanpoker-uk

      Not a bad one. I'd kill two birds with one stone.

      So in the next few days I'll withdraw my $$$ from my PokerStars account (almost $50) and, adding something else, I'll make a deposit on TitanPoker. I might keep something on PokerStars though, since I like the huge amount of tournaments that it has got, including satellites.

      Peace&Love!
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.11.2008 Posts: 1,421
      [quote]Originally posted by Rtwice
      However, my main goal (skills improvement, mindset, strategy) won't change. I have LOTS of work to do. In the meantime, I'll make some changes to my secondary goals, which will be the following:
      [i]- $300 bankroll in a month

      I'd appreciate if you guys could give me some directions. I need to start working on my mindset. Tilt is my worst enemy here.
      [/quote]My opinion only...

      Your main goals are great and will bring you success. Your secondary goal(s) are a distraction that could lead to poor mindset and tilt. In other words, if you concentrate on your main goals, you will improve and as a result you will build your bankroll.

      Don't confuse goals with results. You can only control one of those things.
      You have control over improving skills, mindset and strategy - you do not have control over the results.
    • kmacfarlane
      kmacfarlane
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.08.2012 Posts: 26
      Originally posted by Rtwice
      Hey y'all! I know, I didn't post for a while. Thing is, I haven't been playing much. Work, new flat, social life... Too busy!

      But I want to write a quick update.

      PokerTracker 4 is really pissing me off. My hand history disappears when I shut it down, returning not more than a blank layout every time I restart it. I'm pretty sure that the main issue is not because of PokerTracker itself though. Something got messed up when my laptop suddenly rebooted that day while running pokertracker and pokerstars client at the same time.

      So I decided to uninstall the trial version that I've currently got and buy a full one. And also, I decided to change lobby. PokerStars is a good one, but I want to try different ones.
      So I had an idea: make a deposit on TitanPoker and get a copy of PokerTracker 4 through their offer! http://www.pokertracker.com/get-it-free/?o=titanpoker-uk

      Not a bad one. I'd kill two birds with one stone.

      So in the next few days I'll withdraw my $$$ from my PokerStars account (almost $50) and, adding something else, I'll make a deposit on TitanPoker. I might keep something on PokerStars though, since I like the huge amount of tournaments that it has got, including satellites.

      Peace&Love!
      Still following you, gl!
    • Rtwice
      Rtwice
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2014 Posts: 33
      Wow, it's been a long time.

      I've been on and off poker during the last times. And yeah, I never had any profit. Just lost a bunch of queeds.

      I'm keen to start doing things in a serious way (again :/ ), and hopefully this time I'll keep it up. I'm still living in London with a full time job, which takes most of my time and energy. However, I'm planning to go back home in a few months, where I'll be sitting home for the whole day doing nothing but relaxing and chilling out. I just need to save some money before going back.

      What made me go back to poker is the upcoming PCA event in January. When I saw the satelittes on PS.com I suddenly got addicted to poker again.

      What I wanna do now is depositing some money on my PS account and play some S&G, trying to practice on my strategy. And then yeah, I know it's crazy, but I'm gonna play the PCA satellites.

      I'm crazy, I'm gonna be broke.

      EDIT: maybe I should start a new blog.