NL25FR - Tired of everything, just grinding and bumhunting

• UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Hello everyone, I'm Yulia and I've decided to start my blog here :f_eek:
      I play on pokerstars, nl25fr 10 tables for now (hm2+notecaddy+tablescan turbo+starshelper+protools pack)
      I thought about creation of blog in new year, but I need some motivation now to finish december's grinding plan :f_biggrin:
      So... now it's 23k and I wanna make it to 30k. Let's go!
      I'm not so handy in English (in comparison with my native Russian), but in two words besides poker I like physics, Italy and my cat. Yeah, that's it :f_rolleyes:
      Graphs will come a bit later.
  • 38 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Great start to the blog - good luck with the rest of your December grind and into the New Year!
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Thanks, Ramble)
      End of today's session, results will be on 31 December.
      1k hands is done, 6k left.

I have pretty interesting hand, I wonder if I am too nitty here :f_confused:
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $22.75 (91 bb)
      Hero (BB): $25.35 (101.4 bb)
      UTG+2: $41.84 (167.4 bb)
      MP1: $23.42 (93.7 bb)
      MP2: $31.21 (124.8 bb)
      MP3: $56.18 (224.7 bb)
      CO: $75.27 (301.1 bb)
      BTN: $10.41 (41.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 8
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.75, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($3) 8 9 K (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.90, MP2 raises to $7.95, 3 folds

Results:
      $8.80 pot ($0.40 rake)
      Final Board: 8 9 K
      SB mucked and lost (-$0.75 net)
      Hero mucked 8 8 and lost (-$3.65 net)
      MP2 mucked and won $8.40 ($4.75 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$0.75 net)

BU and SB are big passive fishes, so I decided to donkbet pot.
      Openraiser is 17/13 and has +6bb per 48k
      Opens 14% from MP, wtsd 26, wwsf 42, w$sd 58
      When PFR IP, fold to donkbet in multiway pot 65(34) - pretty much I think :thinking:
      Also cbets 41, so it's one more reason to donk for me.

Because of his high fold to donk, I think he'll raise here with 99, KK and 98s
      6 combs beat me, I beat 3 combs.
      Maybe he can raise here with AK and AA for protection (my dbet/fold is 80, but I don't know if he sees it), but I'm not sure whether he'll stack with them.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I'm not a cash game player at all so this hand confuses me a bit... I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

When you flat-call MP2's pre-flop open what are you hoping to hit? I can only assume trips?
      If you are going to donk/fold here to MP - why bet pot, wouldn't a smaller bet accomplish same thing?
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      I'm not a cash game player at all so this hand confuses me a bit... I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.
      I am cash player, and also confused. Don't understand why setmining only to donk/fold, it doesn't make sense.

He has high fold to donk, which is a bad reason to donk a set, and also unless he has absurdly low raise donk (a stat you should have good sample on if you have 48k hands on him) or at least super low raise flop in general, this is very weird fold, seems like getting raised is exactly what we want here...
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      I think OP's plan was more to get value from the two rec players by donking rather than PFR. Since with his low cbet it could be checked through a lot.

I don't play FR, but if MP2 has high FTdonk & then raises with two players behind, donk/folding big vs him might be decent.

If he is aggro enough to raise combo draws getting it in could be better, but i don't see why draws would raise the donk bet with two fish behind.
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Well, I meant that MY stat donk/fold is 80 and was wondering if reg saw that on his hud (I like to overthink it, yeah :milord: )
      I wasn't going to dbet/fold, like dannywratten said, I was hoping that reg would fold and fishes would continue. But that's not what I can influence on :pcuser:
      Usually there are two ways of stacking on the flop: to check-raise/3bet or to donkbet/3bet. Due to passivity of the fishes and low reg's cbet I believe I have only one option - to donk.
      But obviously, the more reg folds to donk, the more I should consider about folding, because his range becomes stronger.

Originally posted by dannywratten
      If he is aggro enough to raise combo draws getting it in could be better, but i don't see why draws would raise the donk bet with two fish behind.
      good point, then I'm sure it was good fold
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

SB: $32.75 (131 bb)
      BB: $25 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $25.05 (100.2 bb)
      MP1: $47.65 (190.6 bb)
      MP2: $34.66 (138.6 bb)
      MP3: $57.35 (229.4 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $26.13 (104.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A A
      Hero raises to $0.75, 4 folds, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($3) 2 9 5 (4 players)
      SB bets $2.86, BB calls $2.86, 2 folds

One more nitty fold from me =)
      BU is some kind of reg-fish, 17/8 with wwsf 39 - really straightforward and -5bb/100 winrate
      SB big fish 54/3, passive in generally, but aggro on the river: 23-33-52 his aggression by streets
      wtsd 23, wwsf 53, w$sd 50 (50)
      donk 13(46), notecaddy sais he did it once with two pair, one on board; have no samples on his reaction to raise donk
      BB zero reg 15/12, wtsd 26 wwsf 42

So he donks potbet pretty quick and BB reg snapcalls. Fish is passive and definitely has a good hand; reg has some king of draw or maybe pocket pairs like TT-JJ
      I've decided that I have two options here: to raise and to stack or to fold right now. I see now, that call can be an option too, but at that moment I was sure that fish will also potbet the turn and probably go all-in by the showdown.
      What do you think? Can we call? On what cards we should continue calling the turn?
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      AA fold is good imo. Hard to continue after flop and most likely already beat by SB anyway.

For the 88 did you have a "raise donkbet" or overall "raise flop" stat on this player? This is the most important stat to factor in the decision imo.
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      I have his raise donkbet when he is preflop raiser and IP, it's 21(97), but I think it refers only to HU-pots.
      In multiway pot I don't know his raise donk, but know his fold to donk - it's 65, as I've already meantioned.
      You can see for yourself:
    • ResidentEve
      ResidentEve
      Bronze
      Hi, Yulia. It would be easier for me to talk to you in Russian but I won't. :) I want to keep improving my English. I also play nl25, so see you and GL. ;)
    • imfar
      imfar
      Gold
      Hi,
      Do you find notecaddy very useful? Would you recomend this or NL10 players? Do you use it while playing or only post session? Which features of the software do you use most of the time?

Third post in a row with a signature about the same :)
    • ResidentEve
      ResidentEve
      Bronze
      I also want to know your opinion about protools pack. Is it useful?

imfar, :D
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Originally posted by imfar
      Hi,
      Do you find notecaddy very useful? Would you recomend this or NL10 players? Do you use it while playing or only post session? Which features of the software do you use most of the time?
      Hi imfar, I recommend to nl10 players to get higher attention to opponents' ranges: keep improving your hand reading and look for more spots of thin value or good bluff, that's it :)

As for your other questions, now I primarily review hands in equilab/flopzilla and discuss the more diffucult of them with other regulars. I've already studied a lot of theory materials, so now my goal is to get rid of my weaknesses.
      Notecaddy can be sometimes quite useful, but you still need a head to play +ev poker.

Originally posted by ResidentEve
      I also want to know your opinion about protools pack. Is it useful?
      Hi ResidentEve, I think it's too comlex for multitabling, but as long as I play for winrate, it fits me well :)
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Hey guys, Happy New Year to all of you! :f_drink:

Sadly, but I haven't make it to 30k in this month, mainly because of the holiday's mood&food. Eating the food you're not get used to makes you feel tired and sick, cap)
      But I've decided to play in New Year's night a bit :f_love:
      Here is my month's graph:

I'm not sure how much upswing has affected on my profit, but it obviously existed.

And here is my year graph:

As you see, I'm not that crazy kind of grinder. Not even a little bit :f_rolleyes:
      But I'm going to fix it. I won't set goals for the whole 2015, because I see now that idea wasn't good for 2014 year, but each month I'll set a goal of playing X hands and will stick to it completely.
      I've understood that I was always looking for the right moment to do something, not only in poker, but in my whole life. Although I remember the moment when I've read in one article here in psychological section the definitions of A-, B- and C-games and I was really impressed by this lines:
      By definition, the mental coach is concerned with the A-game. But what is the A-game? First, a definition of the term:
      "A-game is fully utilising all the strategic and mental resources available in the moment."
      Fully means 100%, thus correspondingly, even the smallest deviation from this optimum state leads to the next state, the B-game. To illustrate and for better differentiation, we will define between A, B, C, D and E games in this article. The differences aren't always clear cut, as every player feels differently about thier game, so this should only be referred to as a rough guide. You can define your own classification parameters.

B-game: very slight deviation from your best game, 95-99% of your A-game.
      The difference from your A-game is bearly perceivable, however, you miss one or two spots, for example a tight shortstack in the big blind. Small, careless mistakes and lapses in concentration make themselves evident. The winrate is hardly affected by this mental state.

C-game: slight deviation from your best game, 85-94% of your A-game.
      This is where the first noticeable signs of inattentiveness become evident. Some situations weren't played as well as they could have been and you keep on thinking "what did I actually do there?" In this case, it depends on the winrate as to whether or not you can continue to play profitably or if you're already achieving a slightly negative winrate.
      source

And I thought like: "What?? More than 90% of right decisions? I make so much mistakes because of the unfocus, I think my number is about 70-80%". But I haven't paid enough attention to it. Till now. From now and futher my poor condition won't be the prime cause to skip grinding, I'll make decision due to other factors, and most of my answers will be "yes" to poker :f_grin:

So, my plan for January looks like this:
      plan-minimum - 35k hands;
      plan-maximum - 55k hands.
      I hope it will be 2k/day, 2 sessions by ~2 hours.

I've been studying and working on poker psychology using Tendler's books for long time already, but that's not what I'm ready to share right now :f_p:

Once again,
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      I am reviewing december's hands right now, found one interesting:
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players

Hero (SB): $25.22 (100.9 bb)
      MP1: $12.97 (51.9 bb)
      MP2: $28.08 (112.3 bb)
      MP3: $14.47 (57.9 bb)
      CO: $25.02 (100.1 bb)
      BTN: $25.97 (103.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with X X
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.50, CO calls $0.50, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.40, BB folds

Flop: ($1.75) 6 2 Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP3 calls $1, CO raises to $3.94, Hero calls $2.94, MP3 calls $2.94

Turn: ($13.57) 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets $8.75, Hero raises to $20.78 and is all-in, MP3 folds, CO calls $11.83 and is all-in

River: ($54.73) Q (2 players, 2 are all-in)

To keep it more interesting I hid my hand.
      MP3 is passive fit-o-folding type of fish, 52/14.
      СО is reg 16/13, has got +9bb on 24k hands.
      wtsd 22, wwsf 49, w$sd 51
      Isoraise 1 limper CO 29, 3bet 6%
      AF 50/46/34 by street, the rest stats look like usual

It's obvious that we both have some value hands. So I've got 2 questions for you:
      1. If you were me, how and why you would extract value: by donkbetting or check-raising? Or maybe check-calling? :f_eek:
      2. If you were reg, how and why you would play against me? I suppose here you should think about all his hands separately.
    • UnknownF
      UnknownF
      Bronze
      Hey everyone, haven't written here for a while.
      Suddenly have found my blog from the bootcamp more than a year old :f_eek: Happy it's survived :happy:
      one nice post from it:
      Originally posted by UnknownF
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hi again, let's go into a bit more detail:

1) What does your usual day look like?
      2) What does your ideal day look like?
      It's really hard to answer for me. Because I'm trying to make each new day a bit different from the others (in bad case I'm getting mad of boring), and my doings usually depend on my wishes on that day. And because of my wishes are based on my goals, I move in the right direction. I just need to make it a bit faster.
      As I've already mentioned I'm not following after some hard schedule because I really can't carry it out. I've got so much ready routines from my parents, friends, school and university, that I'm sick of it. For almost 5 years of my conscious life.
      Right now I spend my time primarily at home and I've got a lot of time resources. There are some days when I'm not even going outside (but I'm trying to make such days rare as it can be done).
      The ideal day pretty looks like an usual day with the exeption of one thing: I would like to manage to do a bit more that I usually do. The main reason for all of this is my necessity of possession some financial resources (the other one - is that I want to do as much I can before I die, but that's not so important right now :D ).
      One day mum asked me: "Would you still play poker if you've got so much money as you want?". And Ι instantly answered: "Yes, I would. Not in that amount that I do it now (I meant a bit less), but I'd definitely play. 'cause I love it".

So, it's almost impossible for me to do the things that I'm not completely fond of. And vice versa, it's definitely impossible to prevent me from doing the things I love :)

P.S. When I play my best poker (in the zone in term of J.Tendler) I do not notice the time passing by. Not at all. Even for a minute.
      Well, since then my life has changed a bit. In May I've started to tutor children in physics and math (mostly 14-17 years old), and now in my financial situation I feel like I'll always have my paints on :D
      Moreover, I came to a closer understanding of my ideal day - it's the day of which I don't regret when I go to bed. I want always feel tired but satisfied at the end of each day =)
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Nice to go back and find these things and see how you've improved certain aspects of your poker/life! It's good fuel to work on improving the next thing.
    • ducupoka
      ducupoka
      Bronze
      I am reviewing december's hands right now, found one interesting:
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players

Hero (SB): $25.22 (100.9 bb)
      MP1: $12.97 (51.9 bb)
      MP2: $28.08 (112.3 bb)
      MP3: $14.47 (57.9 bb)
      CO: $25.02 (100.1 bb)
      BTN: $25.97 (103.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with X X
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.50, CO calls $0.50, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.40, BB folds

Flop: ($1.75) 6 2 Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP3 calls $1, CO raises to $3.94, Hero calls $2.94, MP3 calls $2.94

Turn: ($13.57) 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets $8.75, Hero raises to $20.78 and is all-in, MP3 folds, CO calls $11.83 and is all-in

River: ($54.73) Q (2 players, 2 are all-in)

To keep it more interesting I hid my hand.
      MP3 is passive fit-o-folding type of fish, 52/14.
      СО is reg 16/13, has got +9bb on 24k hands.
      wtsd 22, wwsf 49, w$sd 51
      Isoraise 1 limper CO 29, 3bet 6%
      AF 50/46/34 by street, the rest stats look like usual

It's obvious that we both have some value hands. So I've got 2 questions for you:
      1. If you were me, how and why you would extract value: by donkbetting or check-raising? Or maybe check-calling? :f_eek:
      2. If you were reg, how and why you would play against me? I suppose here you should think about all his hands separately.

It looked like set over set at my eyes, since the other reg has very tight stats and i dont know you exactly, but the last hands i've seen you were pretty nitty also.
      I dont know how often you donk at flop, but if i would be a reg and i see that move unbalanced, i would just go all-in with my best range and fold it fast even with TPTK (if you doing this always when trying to get value).
      Since there is also a fish in the hand, "MP3" which looks like he has a flush draw, i prefer doing check-raising and going all-in on turn.

So there is, thats it from my fish prespective. He could also has AQ, which would make a perfect play by you :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup:

GL in poker and life!
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach

Well, since then my life has changed a bit. In May I've started to tutor children in physics and math (mostly 14-17 years old), and now in my financial situation I feel like I'll always have my paints on :D
      Moreover, I came to a closer understanding of my ideal day - it's the day of which I don't regret when I go to bed. I want always feel tired but satisfied at the end of each day =)
      Since then you have naturally matured as a person :)

The closer you get though the harder is to reach :f_drink: (and that not referring necessarily to the ideal day )