Does the Kill the Reg segment still exist on Pokerstrategy?

• yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      additionally, having lots of trouble with a good reg in my games at NL50 Fast tables.

villain 3bets and 4bets with solid frequencies (in my mind) and puts maximum pressure on me/other players. not sure how to deal with said player.

stats are not all 6max (some 3 and 4 handed)
      1.8k hands
      VPIP: 42 PFR 33 AF: 2.2 3Bet: 13.7 Fto3bet: 55 (53 hands)

Cbet flop and turn: 50% and 54%

3bets vs hero:

vs EP 8% (24 hands)
      vs mp 4% (23 hands)
      vs co 13% (24 hands)
      vs btn 31% (75 hands)
      vs sb 29% (17 hands)

4bets 23% vs hero (22 hands)
      5bets 60% (5 hands)

have seen villain 5bet shove 76s and K8s bvb, as well as cold 4bet 53s.

not sure exactly how to go about playing vs this opponent, i have tried calling 3bets ip, but then my range is capped and i get barreled off lots of hands.

help :f_confused:
  • 5 replies
    • RaucheCh1987
      RaucheCh1987
      Bronze
      Like you mention for urself he 3 and 4bets with a very wide range so here you can loosen up your range and just stack off with way more hands than you would do against a regular villain.

If I see those tendencies I would go broke with JT+ and Ax cause as far as your informations on him shows you should be ahead most of the time and make some decent profit from him until he adapts and reduces his 3/4bet frequencies to a normal level.

But that's just my opinion, perhaps someone else has another/better approach....
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by yougotfelted51
      villain 3bets and 4bets with solid frequencies (in my mind) and puts maximum pressure on me/other players. not sure how to deal with said player.

stats are not all 6max (some 3 and 4 handed)
      1.8k hands
      VPIP: 42 PFR 33 AF: 2.2 3Bet: 13.7 Fto3bet: 55 (53 hands)

Cbet flop and turn: 50% and 54%

3bets vs hero:

vs EP 8% (24 hands)
      vs mp 4% (23 hands)
      vs co 13% (24 hands)
      vs btn 31% (75 hands)
      vs sb 29% (17 hands)

4bets 23% vs hero (22 hands)
      5bets 60% (5 hands)

have seen villain 5bet shove 76s and K8s bvb, as well as cold 4bet 53s.

not sure exactly how to go about playing vs this opponent, i have tried calling 3bets ip, but then my range is capped and i get barreled off lots of hands.

help :f_confused:
      Hi, yougotfelted51,
      You mention that this is zoom, and some hand are 3 and 4 handed.
      My guess then is that this is iPoker and villain is exploiting the rather overly tight culture at iPoker.

You don't mention stack size. Is this guy short stacked? If he is not risking much you won't be gaining much, so maybe just let him have his little joke most of the time -- think pot odds assuming you're getting his stack.

Like RaucheCh1987 says, 4Bet him wider than normal, but pick your spots carefully. Try to be in position against him when you do challenge, and don't be too wide. Example: You hold 99 in BTN and he 3Bets. If he's a short stack, just put him all in. He will likely call with any A, maybe even any K and a lot of his connectors, and you're ahead. Yes he will win some times

Best wishes for a peaceful, prosperous 2015,
      VS
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      villain plays 100BB+.

my biggest issue is the hands that are great as a call ip vs a 3bet, but are too good to 4bf, and not quite good enough to call it all off.

i definitely think i wasn't stacking off light enough vs villain's 5bet jams, but i dont feel super confident 4bet calling off KQs/AJ which could certainly be a big leak in this spot.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Get better, more comfortable playing in 3b pots after you call a 3b as the RFI.

Shouldn't need that much of an adjustment. It's aggressive 3b but not completely stupid. The 5b's may be stupid or a good exploitative adjustment for the player pool. Probably both.

For each position, simple safe adjustments are stuff like:

Lets do BTN v SB as an example

1. Don't open wide if no need, so don't open btn's > 50%. Smaller if other blind is aggressive too. 45% would be fine.
      2. widen 4b range. Take from something like 8% to 11% should be fine. That would only be 99+, AQ+, AJs+ for 4b call. You can try playing around with a program such as holdemviewer to see which hands make better 4bc's verse his 5b range. Hands like 77's and A8s would almost certainly be better than KQs fwiw.
      3. Call 3b's wider. So something like, all PP's, and really only a combo or 2 wider in each direction than a normal 3b call range should do. So that would widen a call 3b range to ~20%
      4. Get better at playing 3b pots after calling a 3b.

If his 5b stat is really that aggressive/crazy (your sample size is not very helpful) then you probably should widen and value stack your 4b range. To something like 70% 4bc 30% 4bf. So something like 66+, A9s+, AJo+.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black

If his 5b stat is really that aggressive/crazy (your sample size is not very helpful) then you probably should widen and value stack your 4b range. To something like 70% 4bc 30% 4bf. So something like 66+, A9s+, AJo+.
      Hi jules, agree about your comments, just it looks a bit too loose your proposed stack off range. I think the danger of this approach is that villian will not have static ranges. He has so loose ranges likely just because hero is overfolding a tone. But if this villian sees once 66 stacking off, I dont think he is still going to 3bet/shove that crazy. So for the villian it will be easy to notice that hero adjusted, and for hero it will be harder I guess to notice that villian reduced 3bet and 5bet frequencies.
      So I would just extend sligthly my 4bet/call range, like AQ+, 99+. Still calling 3bet is going also to show profit, especially IP with hands like 66-88, AJ etc. Then I guess if hero stacks off the range you proposed, then his call 3bet range is super weak and capt, and I guess it will be hard to learn to defend such range +EV and as close as possible to unexploitable.