[NL2-NL10] Folding AA

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($5.78)
      CO ($15.48)
      Button ($18.11)
      SB ($4.66)
      BB ($3.56)
      Hero (UTG) ($5.67)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, A
      Hero raises to $0.20, MP calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.67) 5, 4, 7 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, MP raises to $1.10, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.55

Turn: ($2.87) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $4.48 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $2.87 | Rake: $0.10

Results:
      MP didn't show
      Outcome: MP won $2.77

Villain hit a set on flop as there is no high card and villain called my pre-flop raise. If he did a bluff raise with Kx congrats to him. I think the call on the flop was already incorrect,but want to see the next card.

Second thought, he might have also just had an over pair....
      Just had pretty bad experiences with this lately hence the fold on the turn.
      Played another AA normally after this hand where I pushed flop after villain re-reraise and won. Hence this hand should have probably been pushed flop too.
  • 7 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Tough spot, his line doesnt make sense. He minraises flop looking for action, then shoves turn as if scaring you out. Both actions scream set but he might do this with KXc maybe? I don't know if i fold in this spot without a read.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Don't think he can do it with Kx.
      I already put a high bet.

His only line of thought raising this without having set or overpair would be that he knows I raised with Ax and he has AK hence he is ahead.

If he would acctually have a K he would not bet the turn like that. If he doesn't have K he has to have a pocket pair. Now shoving like that against my check... what if I checked trapped him. Thats a pretty bad play imo.

Overall I still should have called him I think. He probably just has a weaker overpair then mine... he would not push the turn like that if he is acctually ahead vs my hand.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      My thoughts are that he could have an OP or AQ+, KQ and re-raising you because you raised pre-flop and doesn't think you have any piece of the flop.
      This happens to me alot and I usually re-re-raise against 1 opponent and re-evaluate the turn if they call or just call against anymore players in the hand.

Obv this is a hard spot to play but I don't understand the turn push so I don't really know if I would call the turn or not.

But you could also bet somewhere between 1/2-2/3 pot to see if villains folds on the turn because he could just be a major bluff or lower PP.

Goodluck with this situation. It's always a hard to spot to get around.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Looking at this hand again, I think judge will recommend you try and go all in on the flop.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      The thing is.. the last time I did something like that against villain re-raise on the flop it cost me a lot since villain did hit set on flop and thats why he re-raised me, although in that case the re-raise was of around 5x my bet and not just 2x like the one done here.

Judges opinion on that was that I should have folded flop since I met resistance and was in deep (was playing NL10 deep on FT)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      This type of decision is easier when you have been observing the players and taking notes. What does villain put you on?
      Have you been playing very tight? If yes, then him having a set is more probable.

Is villain new to the table? If yes, he prob doesnt know that you're playing tight and have a hard time putting you on AA.

What has villain minraised before? draws or monsters? It looks like he probed to see if you had OP and let loose on the turn when he saw you had a hand.
      Is he a fish? or a winning player? Is he very aggresive postflop? Does he go crazy with TP(K)?

Bottom line, I like the fold to his shove (taking in account his minraise on flop) but I would watch this guy like a hawk and retrieve my chips at a later time. imo you save a lot of $ folding these tough spots without a read(pot is small when you fold but big if you call).
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you played it fine.
      You can also call turn, but folding is probably better.