UPAY4DINNER 2016

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello all

My name is Gary, I am 30 and I come from a small village in the west of Ireland called Ballinlough which is in the county of Roscommon!

Most members will have come across me in some shape or form in the past few years. I have been a PokerStrategist for over half a decade. For over half that time I was an employee of PokerStrategy, starting off as a voluntary moderator, before becoming a SuperModerator (we were paid back then) and then becoming a HeadAdmin after the greatest person I've ever worked with IngridN unfortunately left the company.

From then on big changes occurred. Corners were cut, and even them corners and further corners were cut! Surprised there's any corners left in Gibraltar! At any rate enough of that!

2014 was the best year for me poker-wise while being up there with the worst for me on a personal level. Why am I writing about this right now in a new thread you may wonder? I must slay these demons from 2014 and start afresh, clean slate.

Poker in 2014:

I started with Hyper Turbo Satellite SNGs and I played them from January until the end of February. I had coaching and my game improved ten fold over a number of short weeks but I was getting destroyed by variance and I'm not ashamed to say it got the better of me in the end and I stopped playing them and poker for a few weeks.

Fast forward to March 17th and in the wee hours of the morning I late registered into an $11 MicroMillions event. The rest shall we say is history. 8 hours, one 50 minute car journey, 4200 later people I entered the Final Table whilst playing on my mobile phone 8th out of 9th. With some folding and laddering soon I was 6/6 and I managed to find a few hands to shove before I openshoved AJ from UTG and got very lucky vs AQ. From then on I navigated my way to 2nd place and $5,242.

For the next 2 months the heater continued. I had another 2nd place in an $11 for $1.7k. 16 hours later I came agonizingly close to another final table in the Hotter $16.50, collecting $550 for my troubles. During the Carnival week in May I had another deep run finishing 13th out of 15k runners in the Bigger $11 for $450. I finished 3rd in a $5 Hyper Turbo for just shy of $1k. On top of this I had many deep runs, had an excellent SCOOP where I finished up $700 in profit and came close in a MicroSeries (French version of MicroMillions)

Life was good. Poker was good. I was playing well and hitting the cards.

PokerStrategy in 2014:

One Monday morning in May I woke up to an email saying that my position no longer necessary and that I was being let go. Literally, like that. So that news was incredibly demotivating and kinda ignited the dark side of me. I reacted badly to the news after spending 3 years joining an excellent team, watching great people come and go, at one stage cultivating a great team of my own and then having to leave them behind. Not only that but I lost a considerable amount of income as well.

I made some mistakes and lashed out at people in the intervening months. I still have disagreements with some people about the direction of this here community. I will no longer engage with certain people after being hounded on Skype whilst at my job. There is certain people I'd like to speak to but the mere sight of them on Skype drives me into a rage.

Back to Poker in 2014:

After my few months heater the inevitable happened. Downswing city. That, coupled with cashing out to cover costs that were previously paid for by my work for PokerStrategy and then very poor game selection and consequently a poor mindset led me to more misery and by August I made the decision to stop playing MTTs and revert to 180 MTSNGs.

I made a great start and made $400 in no time. Volume was always low and I fell out of love with them after a few short weeks. I did meet some great people and cultivated a very, very helpful study group thanks to 2p2. I played one MTT schedule for my birthday weekend in September and I was hooked again! FFS!

October and November proved fruitless again on the MTT front. Loads of nice runs but once again kept falling at the final hurdle! In the end I took a few too many risks and my bankroll was back to where it was in August and this is where I am currently at.

2015:

So, the lights go out on 2014 in just a few hours. I am enthusiastic about starting 2015 strongly. This year passed has hopefully taught me a few hard lessons. I have came on in leaps and bounds poker wise in 12 months. If I do the same again next year I will be very happy.

I am going to start by playing $2.50 180 Man SNGs. I have 370 games of experience in these since September 2014 and I have profit of $461 and a ROI of 50%. I am currently playing 9 tables at a time but I am pretty sure I can add 3 more by the end of the month.

My one and only goal for January is to play 400 games. 400 is alot, it equates to 13 a day, I cannot play everyday but it's time I challenged myself and stop coming up with excuses.

I truly apologize if you've managed to read your way through this whole wall of text.

I would like to wish each and everyone of you a very happy and prosperous 2015! I hope that this post has put the darker side of me to bed forever!

Ciao e buono notte,
      Gary
  • 370 replies
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hey sounds like quite a ride, happy new year man, and best wishes for you excelling everyone of your poker and life goals this year.

:s_thumbsup:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I think 400 will be a good challenge for you and I will subscribe of course, so keep the updates regular and positive!

Allow me to reciprocate by wishing you and yours the very best for next year sir.

Always my pleasure,

Mal.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Gary - Best wishes to you for a Great 2015!
      I always appreciated your posts back in the good old days of HollyMichelle, both before and during the mod times.

Good luck with January Goal!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iSoOwnYou
      Hey sounds like quite a ride, happy new year man, and best wishes for you excelling everyone of your poker and life goals this year.
      :s_thumbsup:
      Hey man, thanks for the kind words. All the best for 2015 to you and yours!

Originally posted by gadget51[/i]
      It sure was, thank you for the best wishes and many happy returns! :s_drink:

I think 400 will be a good challenge for you and I will subscribe of course, so keep the updates regular and positive!

Allow me to reciprocate by wishing you and yours the very best for next year sir.

Always my pleasure,

Mal.
      Hey mate,

It was great catching up with you yesterday - it had been far too long!

400 is definitely going to be a big challenge for me. Traffic is non existent in the mornings so there is no point opening up tables and playing a 2 hour session with only 4 tables or so.

I will have to grab every 2 hour window in order to meet my target that is possible!

Originally posted by Ramble[/i]
      Gary - Best wishes to you for a Great 2015!
      I always appreciated your posts back in the good old days of HollyMichelle, both before and during the mod times.

Good luck with January Goal!
      Cheers el Presidente!

First session of 2015 should happen sometime around lunchtime when the traffic is a little better. We are looking after my wife's niece and nephew for a few hours beforehand so that is gonna be soooooooo much funnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Not sure if I will get an evening session in as well or if I'll skip this afternoon and just play this evening!

Have a great day!
    • RaucheCh1987
      RaucheCh1987
      Bronze
      Great opening post. happy new year and good luck with your journey through 2015. Will follow you :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RaucheCh1987
      Great opening post. happy new year and good luck with your journey through 2015. Will follow you :)
      Thank you for the kind words!

Happy new year and good luck also :)
    • rompas
      rompas
      happy new year and good luck 2015 may the flops and rivers be with you :f_wink:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rompas
      happy new year and good luck 2015 may the flops and rivers be with you :f_wink:
      Many happy returns friend :)

No play as of yet - it will be an evening session if I manage to get one in today!
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Bronze
      All the Best Fella!

(I was wondering what had happened to you re Poker Strategy, after the 'sack them' post etc. and now I understand clearly)

Still, 'what doesn't kill you.........' and all that - hope this year brings lots of run-good for you, both on and off the tables!

[btw, are you the 'Gary' from the FTT seminars?]
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sherriffatman
      All the Best Fella!

(I was wondering what had happened to you re Poker Strategy, after the 'sack them' post etc. and now I understand clearly)

Still, 'what doesn't kill you.........' and all that - hope this year brings lots of run-good for you, both on and off the tables!

[btw, are you the 'Gary' from the FTT seminars?]
      Thanks bro, yes, time to move on properly now.

Nope, not that Gary. I'm not even sure what FTT stands for? Good luck yourself this year!

:)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey G,

Looking forward to this turning into an epic blog. All the best for 2015 and let's hope you start this year off like last year. :profit:

Subscribed naturally :happy:

Cheers

Laz
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey G,

Looking forward to this turning into an epic blog. All the best for 2015 and let's hope you start this year off like last year. :profit:

Subscribed naturally :happy:

Cheers

Laz
      Thanks amigo.

Last year started off pretty swingy in the Hyper Sats from memory! Had to wait until Spring kicked in before I struck gold.

Managed 12 very unsuccessful games tonight. Didn't get anything going, made some big folds and when the important flips came with 60 players left it just didn't go my way. Oh well, still got another 384 games to play this month!

Back to real work tomorrow but I might have a session around the same time tomorrow. If not then it will be Sunday.

Cheerio.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by UPAY4DINNER

Last year started off pretty swingy in the Hyper Sats from memory! Had to wait until Spring kicked in before I struck gold.

Oops. I shoulda remembered that. :f_eek: I had a piece of it and as I recall now, it was a wild ride
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61

Oops. I shoulda remembered that. :f_eek: I had a piece of it and as I recall now, it was a wild ride
      Ah it's cool because your old and stuff! Twas a journey and a half - a bit of a precursor to the rest of the 2014 then!
    • Scaletta
      Scaletta
      Bronze
      Best of luck for 2015, Gary! :f_thumbsup:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin

Ah it's cool because your old and stuff! Twas a journey and a half - a bit of a precursor to the rest of the 2014 then!
      Oi. Enough of that old stuff.:s_evil: I am experienced :coolface:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hey, Gary,
      All the best in 2015!

I know it wasn't all sweetness and light, but if it wasn't for you, I would not be a mod so thanks!

I admire your ability to handle the really swingy stuff -- not my cup of tea at all.

And after all, *somebody* has to pay for dinner!

Peace,
      VS
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Scaletta
      Best of luck for 2015, Gary! :f_thumbsup:
      Thank you Scaletta and to you also!

With all these good wishes I should be moving up the stakes in no time!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hey, Gary,
      All the best in 2015!

I know it wasn't all sweetness and light, but if it wasn't for you, I would not be a mod so thanks!

I admire your ability to handle the really swingy stuff -- not my cup of tea at all.

And after all, *somebody* has to pay for dinner!

Peace,
      VS
      Thanks VS and a happy and prosperous 2015 to you and yours!