[SnGs & MTTs] Being Better _[EN]

• CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      :welcome: Hello everyone.
      I hope you had a great New Year's Eve !! :f_drink:

I'm Edgar Taveira, CardsUp'Poet on Pokerstars.
      Last year I started to look at poker as something serious from day 1 April 2014 where I started in cash for time reasons. I played cash (zNL2 6max) during the six months to September/October 2014 period which I did 75,000 hands (low volume). I Evolve enough this time together with other colleagues, but I was not satisfied with my performance in cash (I felt that I was taking too long to beat NL2 when in reality it should be easy to do that)...
      At that time an opportunity arose to move to SNGs for part of a colleague of mine, an offer that I accepted. Since then I played and beat the 9man Turbo $ 0.50 and went to the 45man Turbo $ 0.50 where I am now (already mixing with the $ 1.50).

This year I have ideas to get even further... If there is a difference now to my start in April 2014 is the maturity that this time of play/study brought me. Maturity that it takes me to get to draw more correct goals and get away from the illusions so common in our beginnings.

For this year I have the goal of reaching 45man Turbo $ 7. This is the great goal that will take me to improve many aspects of my game at the tables and out of them. Of course with some maturity and feet on the ground I can draw an estimated volume for this year, 7.700 SNGs. This number is divided between the various limits up to $ 7 (which I hope to finish the year playing) and of course I could not miss an estimate of how much I liked to reach, $ 5.000 (WARNING: It is not my main focus , I speak here this point as an indicator / incentive. The focus and goal is , as I said, reaching 45man Turbo $ 7 and still play them this year.)
      I have made a monthly volume estimate to think about the charge that will be in college as well as some months of vacation​​, but this estimate may be subject to change depending on the course of the year .

For the blog I have some ideas ... that I will not disclose for now . Only I can say that I have also a blog in Portuguese community (I am a Portuguese guy, sorry my english).

To all who follow me and will start to, a thank you. :f_smile:

P.S.: I will play and dedicate myself 110% until the regulation on the Poker goes out in Portugal , at which time I will assess whether the legislation will allow me to continue or not.
  • 39 replies
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      Being Better Journey --> 0
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [Reserved]
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi Edgar - great start to your blog and am looking forward to following your progress. I think your cash game experience will be a huge benefit to you in the SnG's in the area of post-flop play. That is an area that the SnG player pool is generally weaker in.

(Your English is great by the way!)

Best of luck to you with your goals for 2015!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Edgar,

Always nice to see a fellow 45 manner. I will be doing a tankroll challenge on the 45 manners in a couple of weeks (starting at the $1.50s) so hopefully we'll run into each other (preferably on FTs :f_biggrin: ).

Definitely following

Good Luck

Laz
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      Hi Edgar - great start to your blog and am looking forward to following your progress. I think your cash game experience will be a huge benefit to you in the SnG's in the area of post-flop play. That is an area that the SnG player pool is generally weaker in.

(Your English is great by the way!)

Best of luck to you with your goals for 2015!
      Welcome to my blog :)
      I already saw those benefits... Specially early game where many players play looser than they should, because they don't know how to play post flop. I'm not an expert too, but my cash experience is definitely +EV. :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey Edgar,

Always nice to see a fellow 45 manner. I will be doing a tankroll challenge on the 45 manners in a couple of weeks (starting at the $1.50s) so hopefully we'll run into each other (preferably on FTs :f_biggrin: ).

Definitely following

Good Luck

Laz
      Welcome to my blog :)
      I'm playing $0,50 this month because I have my final exams during January and beginning of February... So I hope we catch each other after this period and not just in $1,50. :f_biggrin:
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      The last week of the year 2014 turned out well and the first week of 2015 has also started well... :f_pleased:

Come share here on the blog the results of this past week.

The total of the week was this:

The first day of grind of the year was as follows:

It was a positive week for results as well as the content. I had some leaks, bad shoves, calls behind and some inventions that cost me some chips as well as tourneys... But we learn from the mistakes and failures and even with some -EV moves I still managed to make room to reach the top 3 sometimes .

Tomorrow and/or Monday I'll try to post some hands as well as the way I analyzed/played to start discussion here... :coolface:
      Next week I will grind on Tuesday , Thursday and Friday .

Thank you to all who follow me . :f_smile:

P.S.: The next week will be the first official week of year, from which I will do more complete and elaborate weekly posts. This post is to show my 2014 farewell and the "warm-up " for 2015.
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      Hi everyone !
      :f_drink:

Weeks with final exams and end up getting sick after the exams.
      With that passed 3 weeks (1 grind and 2 off-poker).

Week. 5Jan-11Jan (1 week)

It was a week mild. Little volume and positive chart.

With the pressure that I felt due to exams approaching I did not play my best. Had failures and ended up suffering with the game because I was not 100 % focused on the grind.
      Here I remembered the importance of implementing healthy habits for the Mental Game has in our game and believe me, play with the pressure to which I was subjected was -EV .

Week. 12Jan-25Jan (2 weeks)

Two weeks completely off-poker. 100 % focused on final exams and gave liter days and nights studying ... It was worth it ? Do not know yet. I'm waiting for the results, but I want to believe it was worth the effort.

(I will create another post with the goals and expectations for this week) :f_biggrin:
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      Week. 26Jan-1Feb

Had set the goal to play 200 SnG $0.50 45man Turbo in the month of January. Until now have a volume of 106, or 94 SnGs missing.

This week the big goal is this, play at least 94 SnG $0.50 45man Turbo.

I will keep my attitude on the cashier, I only see results at the end of the week, so I am not influenced by any type of swings... I have done this and have been +EV for the Mental Game.

I'll try to get a more serious warm-up routine that works with me and also work the 5min hourly intervals that PokerStars gives in this format. On this last topic I leave the question, do you guys have some warm-up routine before playing ? What do you guys do in the 5min intervals ?
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      Being Better

The other day talking to a friend of mine came across to me that I was doing more things with my time and not doing what really matters, like sleep. So I organized my schedule to start preparing everything in order to turn off the lights at 23h... Wanted to implement this routine that ends with reading. Decide the book that I was going to read it wasn't difficult, I do not like fiction books or stories to delight, so I picked up a book of personal development that I had, "How to Make Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie". The book has a dubious title, but addresses some principles on how to deal with people. It is an excellent book and has nothing to do with being shy, but moving on... I picked up the book and I noticed that I already had underlined all (yes , I read the book a 2x and emphasized the most important passages ).

The fact is that I underlined it, I remember reading it 2x and have the work of underline it, but do I continue to apply the knowledge that the book gave me ?

Think of it led me to a new stage, Being Better. If reading a book 2x and underline it don't seems enough to get a sense of whether or not am I applying the knowledge, how can I do after seeing a Poker video or do a session review ? This step is intended to improve myself as a person seeing me as a whole. Improve in the area of ​​personal excellence as well as everything else ... and of course this blog as the subject Poker .

I have not been very constant in my passage through the forums, but my goal is to improve, then this is one aspect that I need to work. I'll draw a goal that may not even be in my power as regards the Blog and Forums. The goal is to answer this question, [i][u]"What I did today that made ​​me a better Poker player ?"[/U][/i]. I'll try to answer here on the Blog to this question every day I do something related to Poker. This will be the minimum goal of existence of this Blog.
      The goal is to make an evolution, Being Better ...
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Being Better[/size] ___day 1[/b]

What I did today that made ​​me a better poker player ?

Today I bring job done.
      - I watched 3 videos in the morning even before lunch;
      - In the afternoon I took a hour to study the structure of the 45man in detail, from average stacks accordingly to remaining players up to blinds;
      - In the evening I did a session, 1h35m +/- . There were 7 Turbo SNGs 45man + 5 MTTs. Was a negative session in terms of $$.

Tomorrow I will analyze the 12 Tournaments from today and look for opportunities for improvement in my game .
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Being Better[/size] ___day 2[/b]

Today was a normal day.

Made 3 Tourney reviews of 12 that I've played. Saw some -EV shoves that it's not supposed to be in my game at this point.
      Tomorrow I will review the rest and post some hard hands here.
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [size=18]Session Review / Hand Analysis[/size] 1

##########################################
      Hand 1
      Blinds : 15/30

8 players
      [SB] jackie juke (2440)
      [BB] Pavel1608 (1295)
      [1] maiden132 (1470)
      [2] G.K-161Rus (790)
      [3] Enemy (1470)
      [4] Steeno958 (3160)
      [5] CardsUp'Poet (1470)
      [But] Indianu2626 (1405)

CardsUp'Poet 8:spade: 8:club: Initial Pot: 45

maiden132 folds
      G.K-161Rus folds
      Enemy folds
      Steeno958 folds
      CardsUp'Poet raises to 75
      Indianu2626 folds
      jackie juke folds
      Pavel1608 calls 45
      ### FLOP ### 2:spade: J:spade: 7:diamond: Pot: 165
      Pavel1608 checks
      CardsUp'Poet checks
      ### TURN ### Q:spade: Pot: 165
      Pavel1608 checks
      CardsUp'Poet checks
      ### RIVER ### 4:diamond: Pot: 165
      Pavel1608 bets 90
      CardsUp'Poet folds
      Pavel1608 hide cards
      Pavel1608 wins 255 from the main pot

Analysis: After reviewing this hand I got the feeling that I lacked one bet on the flop and/or turn. PF think it's normal 2.5x with 88 CO. Take the BB call where the flop hits some combinations of J and other of FD eventually. Here in the flop I think I should have made a cbet to charge from FD and also because I represent J for a stubborn Ax drop. The turn Q completing the flush. If he was in FD flop, cause I didn't take the initiative in there I think he will bet the turn here with flush made. He didn't bet so I think I could have made a bet since I still have the BDFD with my 8s. River his hand sounds too much like Qx or even a Jx, could never make the call.
      I think I played badly here and could have taken the pot.

Hand 2
      Blinds : 50/100

9 players
      [SB] Kidalov (1760)
      [BB] Don't-CaLL92 (1455)
      [1] allYellow1 (1270)
      [2] Mentalist584 (1170)
      [3] CardsUp'Poet (1435)
      [4] tomek85000 (2360)
      [5] parkoza (2850)
      [6] TheBorges (1310)
      [But] ivoyt (2560)

CardsUp'Poet A:spade: K:spade: Initial Pot: 150

allYellow1 folds
      Mentalist584 folds
      CardsUp'Poet is All in
      tomek85000 folds
      parkoza folds
      TheBorges folds
      ivoyt folds
      Kidalov folds
      Don't-CaLL92 folds
      CardsUp'Poet hide cards
      CardsUp'Poet wins 1585 from the main pot

Analysis: I think direct shove 14bbs AKs can not be considered an error, but certainly mini-raise would have been better to induce a few hands of CO and/or BB.

Hand 3
      Blinds : 50/100

8 players
      [SB] tomek85000 (2260)
      [BB] parkoza (2850)
      [1] TheBorges (1310)
      [2] ivoyt (3880)
      [3] Kidalov (1860)
      [4] Don't-CaLL92 (1305)
      [5] Mentalist584 (1270)
      [But] CardsUp'Poet (1435)

CardsUp'Poet 4:diamond: A:heart: Initial Pot: 150

TheBorges folds
      ivoyt folds
      Kidalov folds
      Don't-CaLL92 folds
      Mentalist584 folds
      CardsUp'Poet is All in
      tomek85000 is All in
      parkoza folds
      ### FLOP ### K:heart: T:club: 3:club: Pot: 3795
      ### TURN ### 5:spade: Pot: 3795
      ### RIVER ### A:diamond: Pot: 3795
      tomek85000 shows K:club: A:spade:
      CardsUp'Poet shows 4:diamond: A:heart:
      tomek85000 wins 825 from side pot n°1 with Two pairs, aces and kings
      tomek85000 wins 2970 from the main pot with Two pairs, aces and kings

Analysis: Here's a good analysis spot. This A4o raised questions while playing and put his hand on ICMIZER it says it is fold by a minimum margin (screenshot). Ends up making sense once put my tournament at risk vs two big stacks of the table. Remaining far from the FT and without antes think I can narrow my shoving range. Give a mini-raise I think it's bad unless it is to induce, because we will theoretically take many 3bets and have to fold.
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Being Better[/size] ___day 3[/b]

Today I felt really nice...
      Did a Session Review of my last 7 SnGs 45man Turbo and in spite of seeing some mistakes I know that those mistakes were because I was a little bit rusty.
      After my Session Review I finished the day playing one session (2h35m length, 25 SnGs 45man Turbo) that ended up negative in terms of $$, but what can I do when I reach FTs and go busted while I shove/call ahead of villains ? By this reason I think it was a nice session where I played nice.

Need to keep fighting and improving my game.
    • donkament
      donkament
      Bronze
      I will be following this blog I play 45 mans aswell . God luck good luck :f_thumbsup:
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by donkament
      I will be following this blog I play 45 mans aswell . God luck good luck :f_thumbsup:
      Thanks for following. :f_thumbsup:
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Feb.2015[/size] little analysis[/b]

February is over and with it hope that laziness and boredom have also just gone...

It was a month out of the deck. We played little and studied even less.
      With this, result could not be positive:

Here in the mix are some MTTs I decided to "experience" (play without study or review has no use), although they were only 8 MTTs.
      In 45man Turbo were 230 SnGs. I started the month mixing $0,50 with $1,50 and end up only playing $1,50. With such a small volume and lack of study on my game the results are plain to see.

I do not consider the limit difficult, on the contrary, I think I have what it takes to beat him and I intend to show that this month.

What went wrong then ?
      - Not devoted the time I should;
      - Not reviewed my game / studied what I should;
      - Consequently, also did not play what I should.

[b][size=24]Mar.2015[/size] goals[/b]

For March I have the main objective of establishing my game to go up to $ 3.50 in April. Then I'll have to study the game in general, review my game and delve further complicated spots... The goal will be to make in March what I should be doing since January, evolve and play with quality.

Goals:
      - Incorporate in my week 1x Session 2 tables (play without seeing the cards until my turn to act; discuss ranges according to the action; analyze the background in each spot; record the session to discuss my thoughts);
      - Incorporate in my week 1x Session 4 tables (play to review all the moves; have a theme to develop during the session, e.g.: BTN vs Blinds; record the session to discuss my thoughts);
      - Dedicate up to 30h Poker p/week, 16h + 14h game study (+/-);
      - Achieve SilverStar status on PokerStars + VIP Reward = 720 SnGs;
      - Continue with the project Being Better.
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Being Better[/size] ___day 4[/b]

Today was grind day...
      Played 26 SnGs of 720 that I want to make this month. Was the beginning.

Took some time to organize next week.
      Let's see what news I bring during the next days...
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Being Better[/size] ___day 5[/b]

Today was study day. Took some time to make a deep review of my game in order to see if the results I'm getting are mostly my fault or not... and the conclusion is that I'm not making terrible decisions, maybe losing some spots where I can "play" with my chips and play the player, but not making terrible shoves and/or calls.

Must keep going and work even more.
      Today I will spend more time studying and intend to go back to the tables too...
    • CardsUpPoet
      CardsUpPoet
      Bronze
      [b][size=24]Being Better[/size] ___day 6[/b]

Morning of study and a day that culminated in two sessions in the afternoon ...
      The first kept the usual pace of insisting on staying negative, but the second came otherwise and we end the day positive .

I feel good about my game and my routine so far. Goal is to constantly be improving and that's what I'm working .