Over coming tilt? Partical suggestions or similiar experiences?

• DanTheKid
      DanTheKid
      Basic
      Background Info
      I have been playing poker for 6 months, and studying the game thoroughly. I am seeing a lot of improvement in my game. I used to play live tournaments and online sit n go's, now I play most live cash 1-2NL, 2-3NL, 3-6 no limit. Additionally I mess around in the micro stakes online for practice.

For the most I play pretty well. I am bit of a NIT, I play a tight range and only stack off when I have the nuts or close to it. I do not do anything fancy, I just wait for others to make mistakes, while trying to make as few mistakes as possible. I usually throw in only a few very large bluffs each session at the proper times (villain dependent) .

My Problem

Every few sessions, or perhaps once in a long session I feel as if a bomb goes off and I tilt like no other (usually after a few bad beats or suck outs). Either I spew off most or all of my stack in one big pot with poor holdings, or I play super loose and quickly bleed off. Some times I recover and get my money back, or even make a profit, other times I spew of a couple buy-ins. I played today and bought in for the max $300. Went down to $50 then back up to $300-$350 about 3 times. Eventually I lost it all back. Once I got back to $300 I kept looking for one more big pot, and would make a stupid mistake.

I am reading The Mental Game of Poker in order to improve this leak in my game. I have gotten to the point where I can isolate the main reasons why I tilt, and realize when tilt is coming on. (Injustice tilt=bad beats, Hate losing tilt= not end sessions without a profit/ not being able to quit at when I'm ahead or playing poorly). For some reason though, I have a hard time quitting when I reach my tilt threshold or correcting my playing errors when I reach that threshold. Injustice tilt spurs the emotion of frustration, and hate losing tilt leads to either overconfidence or mild desperation to when money back.

I am so frustrated because I play a low variance style, and yet my bankroll has so many swings. I recognize tilt coming on, and have a hard time preventing it when I reach my threshold. Currently while I am playing, I will recite strategical affirmations in my mind, take a lot of time to slowdown and take deep breaths, take breaks every hour or so to walk around or get a smoke, put in earphones or have a beer or two to calm my nerves. (I usually play my best poker after a few beers.) I also take mental notes of what brought on tilt in order to address it after the session.

I asked my friend, who is a better player than I, and his thoughts were that my lifestyle may play a larger factor in bomb-like tilt. I drink alcohol frequently, drink a lot of caffeine (especially at the tables), smoke a lot of cigarettes, and constantly have different women in and out of my life. Trying to shape up my act lately, and cut back.

Does anyone else share a similar tilting problem, or have any suggestions?
  • 8 replies
    • RaucheCh1987
      RaucheCh1987
      Bronze
      For starters you could start to limit your sessions to let's say 500 hands each and make a short brake. Also define a "punishment" in case you play more than those hands and make a challenge out of it.

Also if you play on PokerStars "TiltBreaker" might be a good tool for you as you can define that it closes the tables when...

...you have played X hands
      ...you lost X BB or $
      ...you are up X BB or $

that way you can "ignore" the not quiting problem cause the software will take care of closing tables and will not allow you to open new ones for a defined time. It's very well coded so there is no way you can just remove it to bypass it.
    • webhunky
      webhunky
      Diamond
      Had the same problems as you do. Also tried searching for an answer, reading articles etc. But however I tried, the tilt always comes back. The only thing that works for me - playing short sessions of 500 hands (and taking a rest of 15-30 minutes). So even if you start tilting, you are forced to take a break and chill.

Also very important to be well rested and have no distractions while playing.

Originally posted by RaucheCh1987
      For starters you could start to limit your sessions to let's say 500 hands each and make a short brake. Also define a "punishment" in case you play more than those hands and make a challenge out of it.
      Talking about my challenge? :f_p:
    • RaucheCh1987
      RaucheCh1987
      Bronze
      Originally posted by webhunky
      Originally posted by RaucheCh1987
      Talking about my challenge? :f_p:
      Yes. Read it earlier today ;)
    • minoepoe
      minoepoe
      Bronze
      I have similar issues. I can be up 10 buyins, lose one big pot and just go into full meltdown. If I lose a big pot due to a suckout or mis play, I just stop playing for the night. Taking an hour off isn't enough for me, as I'll come back with the mentality "I have to get it all back now" and end up losing more. I usually run 4 tables of zoom at ones, but have implemented some rules for myself. When I'm in a big hand, I focus and analyse that hand and ignore the other tables. If I lose more than 2 buyins in short succession (30 minutes), I force myself to analyse. If any of my lost hands in those 30 minutes were due to a misplay, I take a break.

For me, I cannot overcome tilt. When I am tilting, I am actively convincing myself that I am not on tilt and things just aren't going my way. After the session, I would feel horrible and lose motivation to do anything at all for the rest of the day Therefore, I work on making sure that I stop before I tilt, or bad things happen. These rules were implemented after, in about 20k hands, I had lost a crapload of pots where I was all-in PF or postflop, but ended up 20 buyins below EV because of suckouts, but easily blew 10 more buyins because I was going postal.
    • RaucheCh1987
      RaucheCh1987
      Bronze
      Originally posted by minoepoe
      I have similar issues. I can be up 10 buyins, lose one big pot and just go into full meltdown. If I lose a big pot due to a suckout or mis play, I just stop playing for the night. Taking an hour off isn't enough for me, as I'll come back with the mentality "I have to get it all back now" and end up losing more. I usually run 4 tables of zoom at ones, but have implemented some rules for myself. When I'm in a big hand, I focus and analyse that hand and ignore the other tables. If I lose more than 2 buyins in short succession (30 minutes), I force myself to analyse. If any of my lost hands in those 30 minutes were due to a misplay, I take a break.

For me, I cannot overcome tilt. When I am tilting, I am actively convincing myself that I am not on tilt and things just aren't going my way. After the session, I would feel horrible and lose motivation to do anything at all for the rest of the day Therefore, I work on making sure that I stop before I tilt, or bad things happen. These rules were implemented after, in about 20k hands, I had lost a crapload of pots where I was all-in PF or postflop, but ended up 20 buyins below EV because of suckouts, but easily blew 10 more buyins because I was going postal.
      For you same advice -> check out "Tilt Breaker" you also set it up to close the tables after you lost X BB or $ from your session high
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by DanTheKid
      I am reading The Mental Game of Poker in order to improve this leak in my game. I have gotten to the point where I can isolate the main reasons why I tilt, and realize when tilt is coming on. (Injustice tilt=bad beats, Hate losing tilt= not end sessions without a profit/ not being able to quit at when I'm ahead or playing poorly). For some reason though, I have a hard time quitting when I reach my tilt threshold or correcting my playing errors when I reach that threshold. Injustice tilt spurs the emotion of frustration, and hate losing tilt leads to either overconfidence or mild desperation to when money back.
      Hi, DanTheKid
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!
      The Mental Game of Poker is superb -- it helped me immensely with my tilt.
      In my blog I follow my path through it in the first several pages.

The Mental Game of Poker is not a book you can just "read" then put it down and you're done. There are things that the book has you do.
      Do them.
      Perhaps a blog will help here -- as you go through the book write down what you are going to DO at each stage, then write how it worked (or didn't) and how you will improve if you know.

In the meantime, be sure to add yourself the PokerStrategy.com member map by replying to the thread.

Have a look around the site, especially the forum Learning to Win.
      While you're looking, be sure not to miss the free money offers.

Best wishes for a peaceful, prosperous 2015,
      VS
      Perhaps a blog would help you
    • webhunky
      webhunky
      Diamond
      Yea, I should also read The Mental Game of Poker. Have it for a while now, should find time to read it..
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      for some reason though, I have a hard time quitting when I reach my tilt threshold or correcting my playing errors when I reach that threshold
      The thing is it's not for some reason, reason is gone here at that stage. It's your emotions that are overriding your reason. You need to spot early warning signs, maybe you start getting irritated at a player - or make just 1 bad play. Whatever your early warning signs are that's a big warning to you to take action with your head while you still can, before emotion overrules you. Keep working with MGOP and also he has free audio book if you signup via amazon for a free trial you can listen.

Also Jared has podcasts - if you get a podcast player you can listen to them while you play from his talk show :)

drink alcohol frequently, drink a lot of caffeine (especially at the tables), smoke a lot of cigarettes, and constantly have different women in and out of my life.
      Sounds like a blast! :f_drink: