Is Zoom poker worth it for begginers?

• ilostmysoul
      ilostmysoul
      Bronze
      Deposited 10€ into PokerStars that came from a PaySafe sale, and I didn't want to win money off them, only to use them to get a basic sense of the basic concepts (like pot odds) before actually depositing. As far as the learning goes, I now have a good grip on pot odds and comparing them to the chances of winning (effective odds or implied odds or any odds that require me to predict future bets and then sum them up are way trickier tho).

Anyways I started playing for 1-1:30 hour on a single table, folding 90% of the hands. Averaging 1-3€ for hour on good days, assuming someone was dumb enough to go all-in when I had the best hand. If everyone played tight, I would average .2€ if I was lucky, -.5€ on a normal day, since I got mostly hands like 68, 57, A3o, 8To, and the like. Got all my bankroll up to 20€ then after a streak of dumb plays it went down to $1. Now I decided to give Zoom a go and it seems SO MUCH EASIER. Just got 2€ playing Zoom for 15 minutes. Not averaging 5 hands per hour anymore.
      Also much easier to train stuff like odds, simply because you are playing way more hands.

On the other hand, no readings on the opponents, since they dissapear hand after hand. Also, the blind system is not very reliable. I had to pay blinds for 4 or 5 hands in a row, and then got a free entry for a couple of times. Not to mention thinking is reduced. Most of the times I have to force myself into remembering I am here to train concepts, not exactly to win money. However most of the times I play Zoom by instinct. It's not really a type of game that encourages you to sit down and think about your opponents and what can happen next.
      So, thoughts? Do the benefits outweight the negatives? Should I stick to normal games?
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      you get higher volume
      it forces you to focus on your fundamentals (gameplan and stuff) as opposed to playing exploitatively vs opponents which IMO is better.
    • minoepoe
      minoepoe
      Bronze
      I only play zoom these days. The volume makes it way more attractive. It's fine for beginners because I personally feel it is tougher to beat. You will face a lot of setminers and if you don't play careful, overpairs can lose you a whole lot of money really fast. HUDs are a must as some people 4-bet with only KK or AA, and others 4-bet very wide and are comfortable shoving with AJo. Not knowing the difference will cause you to bleed money. I have folded QQ or even KK to several 4-bets based on a HUD. On a normal table or without a HUD this just doesn't happen.
      Regular tables you can get by not using a HUD and just observing people. In zoom I honestly believe not using a HUD makes it absolutely impossible to make money.

Once I started zooming I couldnt go back. Getting 1000+ hands an hour in just gets you so much FPP, and 2-3 BB/100 you make less (for me anyway) is more than compensated for by the volume you get in. It is way more fun than sitting around.

So for me, pros of zoom:
      - Faster, more fun
      - Take a break whenever you want
      - Tables don't lose 1-2 players causing the rest to sitout until it's full again
      - No need to monitor tables to see which one to join
      - Very high VPP gain
      - Very beneficial to 3-bet steal / defend blinds as a lot of people think there are no reads in zoom and just steal every button. If your postflop play is solid you can make a lot of money in the BB.

Cons:
      - More difficult. Way more setminers, way tighter playstyle from a lot of regs causing me to consider folding AKo to some people that 3-bet me, something that I would never do on regular tables.
      - Lower BB/100
    • ilostmysoul
      ilostmysoul
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input guys :)
      I actually just busted the little I had left of my first deposit in Zoom. Called a mini-raise with 22 preflop and flopped 247 or something of the like versus 1 single opponent. He check-raises me and I shove. He shows 44. Kinda frustrating since I would have the best hand around 80% of the time and I don't see how I could have read the hand better. I was putting him on an overpair or a bluff, so I'm not beating myself over for playing badly. Then again maybe I could have done something better and I just don't see it.

Question tho. I never used a HUD so far but I'm considering getting one. But how exactly do HUDs work on Zoom? I mean aren't they supposed to have a range of hands to analyze the player? Say, you need to stay in the same table as that guy for 10 hands until the HUD can make up its static? I can't see that happening in Zoom.
    • minoepoe
      minoepoe
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilostmysoul
      Question tho. I never used a HUD so far but I'm considering getting one. But how exactly do HUDs work on Zoom? I mean aren't they supposed to have a range of hands to analyze the player? Say, you need to stay in the same table as that guy for 10 hands until the HUD can make up its static? I can't see that happening in Zoom.
      You do have a range of hands though, it analyzes hand history, and hands are saved even if you don't stick around. So if there's a PF raise and a 3-bet, and you fold, but the others continue, that hand history is saved and added to the database. So with zoom, you actually build a database of people fairly quickly. Just because you fold doesnt mean the rest of the table stops playing. I'm not sure how it works on other sites, but on PokerStars hand history is saved for every hand you were dealt, even if you quickfold.

So I could be playing against a guy for the first time (to my knowledge), while my HUD already has 100+ hands tracked on him, because either he or I folded the other 100+ hands in which we were both at the table