Satellites and stuff...

• Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Hi Everyone!

My name is Chris and I'm from Poland.

Background
      Been playing poker for quite a while now (5-6 years). Started on NL2, moved to NL25-50 fast, and then the grind has begun. Played over 1kk hands on these stakes. Most of it on FTP Rush Poker before it went down, then on some smaller rooms I probably can't mention here. While I was grinding for 1-2k$/month, one of my friends had some ridiculus results playing tourneys on Pokerstars, so i decided to try it out. Unfortunately, it wasn't that great for me. I mean - i've still managed to earn some money, but somehow on over 8k tournaments sample, i didn't ship anything greater than 1,5k$. At some point I got tired of big field MTT's and gravitated towards playing smaller things, with lower variance, like satellites and time tourneys.
      In 2014 I didn't really feel like playing poker, took a break, tried few different things, but now i'm back, with a blog, hoping it'll help me get back on track ;) .

Plans
      Not sure what i should play. I'm going to start with satellites and maybe some MTT's to see how i feel about it now ;) . But I feel like enjoyed cash games way more than tournaments. I had to play a couple of hands on FTP before the end of 2014 to not lose my points, so I opened two Rush Poker NL2 tables, and it was fun, in fact I didn't have this much fun playing poker in a long, long time ;) . So... at some point i might want to do challenge 50$ -> 10k$, starting on NL2. Is it worth it? How hard is it to make money on sh rush poker nowadays?

Why blog?
      Even though I'm quite experienced player, i've never learned to treat poker like a job. My schedule was always a mess, i played only when I felt like it, which resulted in me wasting tremendous amount of time playing video games or more recently, just watching streams on twitch. This time I want to change it, I want to play monday-friday 17:30 - 00:30 CET, and after every session write a short report here or at least explain why i didn't play. They will most often be just generic messages "it went good/RNG was awful, i don't want to play this game ever again" :p, but every now and then i hope to include some analysis / interesting spots to discuss. I believe this will help me monitor how i spend my time and become more efficient player. First few sessions will be a bit shorter, since my body is probably not prepared for 7h grind, but i hope to get there soon.
      I'd also like to find some people playing the same things i do to discuss strategy with, maybe play some sessions together. I've been thinking about streaming some of my games via twitch, to get wider feedback. Would anyone want to watch it? :p

I guess that's it for now.
      If you have any questions, let me know. Any hints for someone who's coming back after a break will be appreciated ;) .
  • 14 replies
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Yesterday, I've set everything up. As always there were some minor issues. Pokerstars hotkeys didn't want to work. As it turned out, it was because of Table Ninja interfering with something. Disabling Table Ninja and restarting Pokerstars soft solved the problem. Back in the days i was using Table Ninja to cycle between the tables and highlighting the active one. Luckily, Pokerstars implemented similar functions so I don't need it anymore. Hope to play some short, warm-up session today.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Played only a couple o tourneys yesterday, but today i managed to play a solid 5h session. It went ok, I won 1 SM satellite. Don't feel too tired now. It doesn't seem like much have changed during the past year.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi Chris,

Nice intro. Hope your return to the tables goes well and looking forward to your updates (hopefully not too many about the bad RNG :badteeth: ).
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Ok, another session behind me. This time I played over 8 hours, so i'm pretty happy with this. My sleeping schedule has moved already, Yesterday I've slept from 6:00 to 15:00 CET, which is great for evening sessions. A bit sad, that i'm not going to see much sun again, but well... that's a sacrifice a poker player must make to be efficient ;) .
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Played ~7h today, got a bit tired at one point, but then I opened some drunk stream on twitch and it woke me up :p. Going to do some ICM calculations tomorrow, also need to figure out which MTTs I should add to my session. Then maybe i'll play sth since i don't have any other plans.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Played 7 hours again. It was a good session. Had a bit of a hard time focusing at the end though. Added couple of turbo MTT's like Hot 16,5 and 1,1+ 3x turbo. Might start earlier tomorrow.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Started earlier, played 7h, got knocked out of SM fairly fast (2k-sth place). Might take a break or play shorter session tomorrow. I need to do some analysis and review hands of other regulars.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      As planned, made some analysis yesterday. Confirmed couple of thinks. Realized i should call a bit looser when on a very short stack (<2bb), which happens very often in these turbo satellites. Then played for 6 hours.

Today, I started late and played only 5 hours. Didn't feel very well after spending whole week in front of the computer. Figured I need to exercise a little bit. First, it took me a while to get to it. Then I got an idea that Estonia is nice country to live in, and spent couple of hours reading about it :p.

I've got some plans for tomorrow, will be home late so quite likely i'll take a day off. Hopefully i'll get to watch PCA final table.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Wednesday plans took longer than i originaly thought, so i didn't even watch PCA. Got home thursday, played 6h session, ended earlier because I was falling asleep at my desk. Today I had some classes, but started playing as soon as i got home and played for 6 hours, which is fine. Have more classes tomorrow, so I expect another 6 hours of play.
    • kmacfarlane
      kmacfarlane
      Bronze
      Keep at it! Happy grinding
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kristov1986
      Got home thursday, played 6h session, ended earlier because I was falling asleep at my desk.
      Do you play one long 6 hour session or do you take breaks? I recommend you break your session up in to 2 if not 3 sessions with a small 10-15 minute break between each. This will refresh you and let you stay more focused and energized while playing.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kmacfarlane
      Keep at it! Happy grinding

Originally posted by Ramble
      Do you play one long 6 hour session or do you take breaks? I recommend you break your session up in to 2 if not 3 sessions with a small 10-15 minute break between each. This will refresh you and let you stay more focused and energized while playing.
      I'd like that, but it's not very efficient for satellites :( . It's similar to normal MTTs (I add some of them to my sessions as well). It takes a while to open a decent amount of tables, then it takes a while to finish them, so all i've got is a 5 min break every hour ;) .

I've just got home from university. Probably won't play today, I'm too tired for that. Tomorrow is gonna be problematic as well :( . Well, i was supposed to take weekends off anyway, so can't feel too bad about it.
      Hopefully i'll be able to make up for this with longer sessions next week ;)

And today, to not make it a complete waste, i'll watch some regulars playing.
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Played for 8 hours yesterday, so that's fine, but I'm not in a very good shape atm. My mood went down over the weekend and I don't feel like doing anything right now. I will ofc play today , hopefully another 8 hours, but i could really use some "run good" ;) . TCOOP starts soon, which means more satellites, so hopefully it'll help with the motivation ;) .
    • Kristov1986
      Kristov1986
      Bronze
      Tuesday - 7 hours of play , wednesday I was helping my dad with something so i didn't open the tables and today I played another 8h session. Definitely not a "run good". I might actually be down this month, but even though, i'm feeling a lot better now. I reviewed my stats and they look pretty much the same as before the break. EV winrates are lower, but actual winrates are higher :p and sample is not exactly representative for these two stats. I guess I just need to play more and wait for better variance. Hope to play a session with a friend who's still having good results on these next week.