Huge Bug on Stars

• Tunatic
      Tunatic
      Bronze
      I am extremely surprised I have not seen anyone talk about this matter on any poker forums. Posting this here for your opinions and to see if anyone else took advantage of this bug like I did.

Anyhow, yesterday afternoon I was browsing the VIP store on Stars, when suddenly I noticed I could claim VIP rewards from 2013 that I was not entitled to. So, basically, what happened was that 2014 yearly VPP totals were used to determine eligibility for the 2013 VIP Stellar Rewards. For example, if in 2014 you claimed VIP rewards for a total value of $500 and in 2013 you did not earn any VPP's, you could yesterday go to the VIP store and claim another $500 worth of VIP rewards from the 2013 Stellar Rewards menu.

Immediately after discovering the bug (and claiming the rewards) I went on to inform PokerStars of the bug. Here's my E-mail:
      "> Dear PokerStars Team,
      >
      > I would like to alert you of a huge bug that I think I have just discovered, that might cost you a lot of money if you do not fix it soon.
      >
      > Players (including me, of course) seem to be able to claim VIP Stellar Rewards from the year 2013, which they should not be receiving. This bug seems to exist on my account, therefore it probably exists on other accounts too.
      >
      > If I am wrong and missed something, please excuse me and ignore this E-mail.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > xxxxxx"

They took about 24 hours before they fixed the bug and I received this E-mail:
      "Hello xxxxx

We experienced an internal systems error for a brief period in the early days of this year. As a result of the systems error, some players were able to claim VIP Stellar Rewards from 2013 to which they were not entitled based on the clearly published terms and conditions of our VIP program. The specific error was that 2014 yearly VPP totals were used to determine eligibility for many 2013 VIP Stellar Rewards.

Our records show that as a result of this error you received a funds credit for a 2013 VIP Stellar Reward that you did not earn based on your 2013 yearly VPP total. We have debited from your account the funds that you received incorrectly.

Please note that the amount we debited was $xxxx

If this debit has put your account balance into negative, we ask that you deposit promptly to cover the amount owed. If your account has not been taken into negative, no further action is required.

We apologize for the confusion and for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for playing at PokerStars!

Best wishes,
      PokerStars VIP Team"

Now, I do have a few questions for you guys. I'm really interested about what you think about this.
      1) Do you think players should be allowed to keep these funds, as it was not the player's mistake and PokerStars should accept the consequences when such bugs appear in the software?

2) To what extent do you think PokerStars would go if the player would withdraw these funds before PokerStars would become aware of the bug, and the player's balance would jump under $0. As you can see from their E-mail, they said "If this debit has put your account balance into negative, we ask that you deposit promptly to cover the amount owed.". What if one would not do so?

3) Has this happened to any of you guys as well?
  • 3 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      My comments in red...

Originally posted by Tunatic

Now, I do have a few questions for you guys. I'm really interested about what you think about this.
      1) Do you think players should be allowed to keep these funds, as it was not the player's mistake and PokerStars should accept the consequences when such bugs appear in the software?
      No

2) To what extent do you think PokerStars would go if the player would withdraw these funds before PokerStars would become aware of the bug, and the player's balance would jump under $0. As you can see from their E-mail, they said "If this debit has put your account balance into negative, we ask that you deposit promptly to cover the amount owed.". What if one would not do so?
      Depends on the amount if it would be worth pursuing, I would say most of the time not, but that could possibly be the end of your account

3) Has this happened to any of you guys as well?
      No
    • mortal1ty
      mortal1ty
      Bronze
      how bored u must be to go around and check 2013 stellar rewards :f_eek:
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mortal1ty
      how bored u must be to go around and check 2013 stellar rewards :f_eek:
      that and why the hell would you send email to them in the first place and your answer to 1.st Q is NO - FFS , if they f up smth its their fault... anyway LOL again:f_thumbsup: