MTT ranges

• pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I'm a cash gamer who plays tourneys on Sundays and I'd like to learn as much as I can about MTTs because I see a lot of value in them. So I guess I'd start with ranges. I'm not an inexperienced poker player so I'd like to focus on defending ranges from the blinds. I'm playing the bigger buy ins on Sundays (Warm-up, SM, biggers etc) So lets start with what you MTT crushers defend from blinds vs EP, MP,CO and BU?
  • 6 replies
    • ZapOut
      ZapOut
      Bronze
      Hand ranges changes a lot throughout the tournament. So it depends a lot.
      You have to come to your own conclusions. Take a look into the blinds and stacks.
      Thats just my point of view.
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      Thanks ZapOut for your reply

That makes sense. I guess I'll have to formulate a more specific question. Lets try a different question, because in order to know what to defend, I should know what good players open with first right? So what do regs open from HJ, CO and BU in late stages?
    • LuckyLukePS
      LuckyLukePS
      Coach
      Coach
      The question is still too general. Good players will open different ranges from each position according to stacks behind, their own stack depth, table reads, game format and exact stage of tournament (ICM etc.). Better to at least define the parameters. For example, what range will a good reg open from each seat just after bubble with effective stacks of 30bbs, facing a table of other presumed regulars but essentially readless having just joined the table, in a normal freezeout?

Typically there will be reads at play however, and for example my range on the button will change drastically depending on how I view the players in the blinds. So the general question (redefined) still has limited value.

However, to answer it: Generally around 30 effective UTG I'm still opening any pair, A2s+, AJo+, KQo+ and some broadway SCs such as JTs. As we get shallower or if table is active with 3bets I'll drop out the low pairs, low suited aces and SCs. In MP I'd tend to add in all broadways, some more SCs and some suited gappers such as T8s. On BTN I can open as wide as 95% if facing nits / bad players, but it will often be tighter than that and depends a great deal on the exact spot.

In general I'd suggest you post specific hands and extrapolate from those - it'll help more. Drop me a PM for more assistance if you like. GL
    • uglyboy88
      uglyboy88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pokerprons
      Hi all,

I'm a cash gamer who plays tourneys on Sundays and I'd like to learn as much as I can about MTTs because I see a lot of value in them. So I guess I'd start with ranges. I'm not an inexperienced poker player so I'd like to focus on defending ranges from the blinds. I'm playing the bigger buy ins on Sundays (Warm-up, SM, biggers etc) So lets start with what you MTT crushers defend from blinds vs EP, MP,CO and BU?
      everything
    • pocarr
      pocarr
      Basic
      Depends on the villain :)

Seriously though, post ante in mtts you can defend extremely wide vs the majority of the field given you need to win the pot ~20% of the time to break even. Given your cash background you should easily turn a profit reading into board textures vs opening ranges and exploiting your opponents on certain boards. I personally believe in a highly exploitative approach to mtts thus peeling 60%+ vs most of the field is fairly reasonable.

In regards to opening ranges when deep, assuming 50bb+ you're probably going to find the decent players looking like:
      EP:18-20
      MP: 25-30
      CO: 30-40
      BTN: 50+
      SB: 60+

Assume you have RFI by position stats available so they should help a little, and i wouldn't be scared to go off much smaller samples than you're used to in cash, you have to guess a lot more unfortunately.
    • pocarr
      pocarr
      Basic
      Also make sure you have your push fold game down (i'm not sure what level you're at now). Invest in Holdem Resources Calculator and that will help you a lot with your sub 25bb game, just make sure you adjust the ranges as some of the nash ranges can be unrealistic but still a good guide.